The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

M_E_X
It may well be; but whether Lib has been there or not is of little relevance to this thread, wouldn't you agree?

I think someone's first hand impressions of the town may be.

Is Dundee uni relevant to St Andrews? Why don't you go and bugger the chap who mentioned that? Even mentioning that Kirkcaldy isn't in St Andrews is not only obvious, but also distracting from the OP. The irony.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 81
Scottish_Klams
I think someone's first hand impressions of the town may be.

Is Dundee uni relevant to St Andrews? Why don't you go and bugger the chap who mentioned that? Even mentioning that Kirkcaldy isn't in St Andrews is not only obvious, but also distracting from the OP. The irony.

Look - since you came in to this thread you've made nothing but useless posts. In fact I'd go as far as to say you haven't made a single good post from your numerous attempts in this thread.

Seeing as I'm a gentleman I'll let you have the last word, but then we'll let the thread get back on track, mmk? :h:
M_E_X
Look - since you came in to this thread you've made nothing but useless posts. In fact I'd go as far as to say you haven't made a single good post from your numerous attempts in this thread.

Seeing as I'm a gentleman I'll let you have the last word, but then we'll let the thread get back on track, mmk? :h:

You are so insecure about yourself, it's so easy to determine from your posts.

But take that as you like, of course, this is a useless post too, yes? :yep:
Reply 83
Pandabär
I'm from London...I'm not bored here. I love it!

Don't blame St Andrews for the fact you didn't do your research about universities before applying...

I agree; s/he still hasn't answered my question about whether they actually visited or even looked in a prospectus before planning to spend several years of their life here.

ArcadiaHouse
Aaaanyway, I spent a brilliant day in St Andrews in June just after my exams, and I really liked the place, so I'm not hating on St Andrews, just keeping an open mind :wink:

St Andrews is - and is advertised as - a small, safe, quiet town in Scotland. What annoyed me so much about the OPs post was that he was moaning about things like there being "no big shopping centre"...
That's like going to a french restaurant and moaning they don't do pea wet or something. If the OP visited the town - or even looked in a prospectus - they wouldn't be as disappointed as they apparently are.

I agree that certain unis appeal to certain people. I got offers from Imperial and Kings - two prestigious unis in London - but when I went to visit I realised that the lifestyle totally didn't suit me and I'd be a lot happier in a place like St Andrews.
Now, instead of going and posting a big rant on the ICL/KCL message boards I just realised that different people have different tastes, and was thankful that I at least had the foresight to visit the place I planned to spend 3-5 years of my life in.

edit: If your "worst fears" are that there aren't any clubs or big shopping centres in St Andrews, then I can categorically confirm that there are neither of these, and if you absolutely require either of them in your university town then St Andrews is not the right university for you.
M_E_X
I agree; s/he still hasn't answered my question about whether they actually visited or even looked in a prospectus before planning to spend several years of their life here.

St Andrews is - and is advertised as - a small, safe, quiet town in Scotland. What annoyed me so much about the OPs post was that he was moaning about things like there being "no big shopping centre"...
That's like going to a french restaurant and moaning they don't do pea wet or something. If the OP visited the town - or even looked in a prospectus - they wouldn't be as disappointed as they apparently are.

I agree that certain unis appeal to certain people. I got offers from Imperial and Kings - two prestigious unis in London - but when I went to visit I realised that the lifestyle totally didn't suit me and I'd be a lot happier in a place like St Andrews.
Now, instead of going and posting a big rant on the ICL/KCL message boards I just realised that different people have different tastes, and was thankful that I at least had the foresight to visit the place I planned to spend 3-5 years of my life in.

edit: If your "worst fears" are that there aren't any clubs or big shopping centres in St Andrews, then I can categorically confirm that there are neither of these, and if you absolutely require either of them in your university town then St Andrews is not the right university for you.

I'm a girl actually, but anyway- thats my whole point for writing. OF COURSE!!!! yeah, athst exactly my point! I made a mistake- I didn't do the research beforehand and chose this place because my parents were really thrilled about me coming here because of the ranking- and that was really niave and foolish. I didn't go to the Open Day- I read up a little on the website and that was all. Thats why I'm writing this! I don't want people who are expecting this amazing University experience to go come St Andrews and be gutted about it- this is a warning if people are considering it without knowing enough about what its like, not the glossy stuff in the prospectus or on the website or the Times University Guide. I'm a real person and I wanted to voice my opinion, if it offends you thats your problem, I don't care- my point was to inform other people about MY experience and to warn them not to have false expectations like I did and to do their RESEARCH beforre they confirm- of which this is a part of now- whether you like it or not.
It's good to hear also some negative voices about St Andrews. I think that a lot of applicants (at least me) have a fairy-tale-like vision of the place. To those who love St Andrews: please write about your experiences like Sophie_c,M_E_X and some other people did instead of just insulting the OP. The more different opinions applicants will get, the better their decision.

Question: how is the book supply here? Is the library enough to cope with your course or you have to find books on your own? Where do you get them? Does the library have novels in German and Russian?

Still going insane while waiting for an anwser from the uni:frown:
Night Mark
It's good to hear also some negative voices about St Andrews. I think that a lot of applicants (at least me) have a fairy-tale-like vision of the place. To those who love St Andrews: please write about your experiences like Sophie_c,M_E_X and some other people did instead of just insulting the OP. The more different opinions applicants will get, the better their decision.

Question: how is the book supply here? Is the library enough to cope with your course or you have to find books on your own? Where do you get them? Does the library have novels in German and Russian?

Still going insane while waiting for an anwser from the uni:frown:

]

Thanks, I agree thats part of why I wanted to write, I think too much of what is said about St Andrews is not really that accurate/is an attempt to make it seem more than it really is- I wanted to provide a different perspective.

The book supply is quite poor for such a highliy ranked Unieversity honestly i.e 3rd in the country supssedly (the library actually only has four floors)- for instance, essays set on topics such as Charlemagne for Medieval History- one of my joint honours subjects- will have about 5 copies of the most coveted secondary texts on the topic- this isn't uncommon for most Arts subjects, so theres always a scramble for books and you have to be fast. But yes- the library does have a lot of foreign language texts.
I live locally and work in St. Andrews and I have to say I too hate the place, but for an entirely different reason. STUDENTS. They crawl over the place in their Jack Wills trackies, elevating prices and filling the air with poncy, procrastinating vapour in their 'chinless wonder' accents.
St. Andrews is a beautiful town in the summer but at the end of August I do not know a single person who does not groan about the fact that the students are returning and that they will no longer be able to go to the pub or even go shopping because the place is always heaving.
I understand that St A is a uni town and that it probably wouldn't survive without the revenue from students but a part of me still wishes people would listen to the OP and not come.
Hahaha you decided to spend four years in a place without doing any research even though the number one thing anyone knows about St Andrews is that the town is the size of a small fart. YDI.
Reply 89
Umiisadorable
such a highliy ranked Unieversity honestly i.e 3rd in the country supssedly

say whaa?! :lolwut:
harrypotterfreak
I live locally and work in St. Andrews and I have to say I too hate the place, but for an entirely different reason. STUDENTS. They crawl over the place in their Jack Wills trackies, elevating prices and filling the air with poncy, procrastinating vapour in their 'chinless wonder' accents.
St. Andrews is a beautiful town in the summer but at the end of August I do not know a single person who does not groan about the fact that the students are returning and that they will no longer be able to go to the pub or even go shopping because the place is always heaving.
I understand that St A is a uni town and that it probably wouldn't survive without the revenue from students but a part of me still wishes people would listen to the OP and not come.

We're not all like that! :biggrin: I know what you're saying, though :smile: I always feel the need to comment that there's a mix of people from a mix of backgrounds at St Andrews... people get their knickers in a twist if they get reason to think there's too much of one thing and not enough of another :smile:
It amazes me how many bad golf trousers can be spotted in the summer :biggrin:

There are also departmental libraries, so the main library isn't everything. And I think they're planning to redo it, as they recognise it has issues. Although, studying maths, I don't have the most personal insight to the library :rolleyes:

I know there are things about St Andrews that aren't ideal, but there's usually some context that's going to be important to consider. I know that it's important to get different opinions on things, but this thread has a dangerous potential to instantly deter someone from studying in St A's - I think this is just as dangerous as a thread singing the praises of St Andrews and ignoring its flaws.
There are pros and cons to most aspects, and it's probably most responsible to try to portray them fairly. I don't hide from the facts that the accommodation in St Andrews can be pricey or that some people don't like the feel of a small coastal town, but I also recognise that there's a relatively large amount of university-managed accommodation for the number of students, and that the town has aspects that will appeal to certain people. As I said before, I appreciate that hearing a less positive opinion of St Andrews is useful for applicants to hear, but I think it's something to do carefully.

I will refrain from quoting spiderman right now, but you all know I want to.
Reply 91
Umiisadorable
]
Thanks, I agree thats part of why I wanted to write, I think too much of what is said about St Andrews is not really that accurate/is an attempt to make it seem more than it really is- I wanted to provide a different perspective.

There is a difference from providing an alternative perspective and what you wrote.
Umiisadorable

Thank you =) I'm by no means claiming to be the way the truth and the light, but I just thought it was about time someone gave an accurate, no-bs assessment of the place.
Umiisadorable

has illustrated the extent of people's capacity for self deception and delusion

Umiisadorable

I donlt care whther I'm in the 'minority' or not- this is my experience as a student, and I'm telling it like it is from MY perspective- none of the meaningless nonsense that you get from student satisfaction surveys, no bullsh**

You have repeatedly stated throughout the thread that the content of your rant represents the 'real' St Andrews, yet also repeatedly dismissed other peoples opinions and widespread surveys showing satisfaction. While I sympathise with your position somewhat every university in the country has people with similar complaints that the experience didn't turn out how they hoped it would. (including poor social life at universities in big cities) Most people will have researched which uni they go to and so will know what to expect with respect to your complaints about the size of the town and your ludicrous complaints about lack of a shopping centre.

While the size of the town may not be for everyone, it is by no means socially dead. It's size should be obvious from even a brief glance of a map or photorgraph of the town.

As for your academic complaints: while I can't speak for your department the quality of teaching is good at St. Andrews as various posters have explained. Your main complaints, the postgrad led tutorials and degree classification only being based on the last two years is true for almost all universities in the UK, unless you are doing a language course or degree which has small numbers. If you wanted tutor led sessions you should have gone to Oxbridge. Hell, even US Ivy league universities use graduate teaching assistants.

Prospectuses are essentially advertisments for the respective university. That it doesn't give an impartial view of the institution shouldn't really be a surprise. None of them do.
As I said there is a difference between advising people to think about the towns social life and moaning because you didn't research something you were going to do for 4 years properly.

If you really aren't enjoying it don't waste your remaining years there. Transfer to another university - I'm pretty sure it is perfectly possible to transfer to the 3rd year at Edinburgh or Glasgow if they have space, or the 2nd year of another British uni.
Reply 92
Muddy91
say whaa?! :lolwut:

I'm assuming she meant by department. It's been hanging around the 4/5th spot on the Times table for a while now, for all that league tables are worth.
Reply 93
harrypotterfreak

to be fair the locals can be extremly unpleasant and hostile to students at times..
ImperceptibleNinja
We're not all like that! :biggrin: I know what you're saying, though :smile: I always feel the need to comment that there's a mix of people from a mix of backgrounds at St Andrews... people get their knickers in a twist if they get reason to think there's too much of one thing and not enough of another :smile:
It amazes me how many bad golf trousers can be spotted in the summer :biggrin:

There are also departmental libraries, so the main library isn't everything. And I think they're planning to redo it, as they recognise it has issues. Although, studying maths, I don't have the most personal insight to the library :rolleyes:

I know there are things about St Andrews that aren't ideal, but there's usually some context that's going to be important to consider. I know that it's important to get different opinions on things, but this thread has a dangerous potential to instantly deter someone from studying in St A's - I think this is just as dangerous as a thread singing the praises of St Andrews and ignoring its flaws.
There are pros and cons to most aspects, and it's probably most responsible to try to portray them fairly. I don't hide from the facts that the accommodation in St Andrews can be pricey or that some people don't like the feel of a small coastal town, but I also recognise that there's a relatively large amount of university-managed accommodation for the number of students, and that the town has aspects that will appeal to certain people. As I said before, I appreciate that hearing a less positive opinion of St Andrews is useful for applicants to hear, but I think it's something to do carefully.

I will refrain from quoting spiderman right now, but you all know I want to.

Thats the thing though, I've read a lot of stuff on this site where people DO sing the prasises of the place for havign 'lots' of restaurants and coffee shops as if thats exceptional or outstanding and having a 'fantastic' nightlife completely downplaying other really signifacnt drawbacks...thats really misleading- it has an acceptable amount of places to eat but so what?! So does my main road where I live thats nothign to be gettign excited about!....and a few pubs aren't either and thats all the 'nightlife' consists of here, that and the Union which doesnlt even bear talking about. I feel like what I've said balances out some of the fanatic nonsesne I've read elsewhere on this site which would lead people to believe that St Andrews is a vital, vibrant and exciting place, which even poeple who like it cannot say is honestly true.
Reply 95
You think the teaching is rubbish because daddy paid a stupid amount of money for you to be spoon fed for 6 years. Congrats OP on finding reality, your not being spoon fed anymore.

St Andrews isn't as horrible as the OP makes out. I am ALSO a second year and I have a great social life here. St Andrews is what you make of it. OP go to Dundee or Edinburgh for nights out, they aren't a million miles away.

On the lack of shopping/clubbing front.... it's a little seaside town in Fife, it's not New York and if you seriously expected shopping malls or massive night clubs then you seriously need a slap.
TheNorth
You think the teaching is rubbish because daddy paid a stupid amount of money for you to be spoon fed for 6 years. Congrats OP on finding reality, your not being spoon fed anymore.

I wasn't spoonfed for 6 years actually- I worked incredibly hard. And my Dad could just about afford to send me to a private school which he had to because I didn't get into any state schools, so I got a scholarship in 2001.
Reply 97
I'm sorry OP but you're an idiot... that's all I can say.

I might not go St. Andrews but my sister did.

Now one visit to St. A told me that it wouldn't be the right Uni for me since it's remote location was just not my thing.

If you bothered to read the prospectus, look at a map, visit the Uni then you would have seen the location and realised it wasn't for you.

As for education standards, you are one of those twits who won't be satisfied with whatever Uni you'd go to (unless it's Oxbridge because you've been bought up in an environment that makes you think Oxford and Cambridge are the greatest places on Earth).

I didn't bother reading past the first paragraph of trash. Oh and 'clubs' aren't the reason you go to Uni... surely your 'wonderful' private education would have taught you that... FOOL! :p:

Even worse though are those people who are being put off St Andrews because of your pathetic excuse of a post. (Rant over)
Regarding the poor quality of teaching, I'm not surprised you are finding it that way as most private schools spoon feed you all your subjects so when you get to university you've had little or no experience studying independently. So that could be one explanation.
You people are so bitter its pathetic. I had a great education and made the mistake of basing my decision on University rankings alone. That is all. I wrote this to warn people not to make the mistake I did...and how can you criticise an education you know nothing about? The last years of 6th form was actually mainly independant study and research- if you didn't do the work, you failed.