The Student Room Group

Masters Degree: Can i teach with this?

Hi,

I am currently at the half-way stage in an Msc in international accounting and finance and have been thinking for while about getting into teaching. I realise that the normal course for those who wish to teach at university level is the good old phd. However, i feel a bit unsure about this route (got the pang of self doubt creeping in that i wouldn't be able to cope academically with it),but i love subject (sad i know) and have fallen out with the idea of professional CA, ACCA etc qualifications. Anyway, does anyone know whether i could begin teaching at college level with a masters degree rather than having to go through the Phd route at university?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. :smile:
I'd say that unless you have a good level of experience in the industry your chances are pretty slim.
Reply 2
You will not need a PhD to teach in further education, and having a masters degree rather than simply a bachelors will mean you start further up the teaching pay-scale. You will, however, have to undertake some form of postgraduate teaching qualification such as a PGCE; there is a specific one for further education rather than secondary, though you may as well try and find a provider who covers both, meaning that you should not struggle to find a job. Another point: if you do go down the college route then you could do a PhD part-time after you have settled down a little and begun to pay off other debts (teachers wages go up every year).

If you wanted to teach in higher education, however, you would almost certainly need to do a PhD, and your teaching experience would come in handy if you were to eventually go down that route. There are very, very few exceptions to the rule - I can think of one person who teaches philosophy with only a bachelor degree, but he is also ranked as one of the top ten most influential philosopher of the last two-hundred years! ^^
Reply 3
There are very, very few exceptions to the rule - I can think of one person who teaches philosophy with only a bachelor degree, but he is also ranked as one of the top ten most influential philosopher of the last two-hundred years! ^^

Who?
Reply 4
Josho
Who?
Saul Kripke; teaches at Princeton I believe.
It's unlikely OP, unless you wanted to teach younger people and go the PGCE route.
Reply 6
evantej
Saul Kripke; teaches at Princeton I believe.

Martin Amis teaches at Manchester with just a BA too and lots of artists tutor at art colleges without PHD's. In some specific fields eminence/experience can be highly valued but an MA/Msc wouldn't be sufficient for most people in most disciplines.
A Human
Martin Amis teaches at Manchester with just a BA too and lots of artists tutor at art colleges without PHD's.

So yeah! Just think! You could follow in the footsteps of Martin Amis...
A Human
Martin Amis teaches at Manchester with just a BA too QUOTE]
A) He does 28 hours a year teaching!
B) Have you ever sat through an hour of his incoherent drawling?
Reply 9
[QUOTE="hypocriticaljap"]
A Human
Martin Amis teaches at Manchester with just a BA too QUOTE]
A) He does 28 hours a year teaching!
B) Have you ever sat through an hour of his incoherent drawling?

I certainly never said I was a supporter of Amis, his appointment or salary!
Reply 10
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll keep my options open. Maybe better to go for professional qualification first, then maybe teach later. Appreciated
Reply 11
Cam1084
Hi,

I am currently at the half-way stage in an Msc in international accounting and finance and have been thinking for while about getting into teaching. I realise that the normal course for those who wish to teach at university level is the good old phd. However, i feel a bit unsure about this route (got the pang of self doubt creeping in that i wouldn't be able to cope academically with it),but i love subject (sad i know) and have fallen out with the idea of professional CA, ACCA etc qualifications. Anyway, does anyone know whether i could begin teaching at college level with a masters degree rather than having to go through the Phd route at university?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. :smile:

Have you tried speaking to your accounting and finance lecturers? They're probably the best bet in giving guidance on the best route into teaching.

If you look at the non-research based institution instructors, the people who do not have Phds usually have extensive experience in industry along with a professional qualification.

Good luck in finding out.

Latest