The Student Room Group

Reue's TV Licensing FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Reue
Do not do this

I strongly advise that anyone who does not need a tv licence makes no form of contact with the TV Licencing company. It will not help you and will just make them harrass you more in the future.

They can harass me as much as they like, still won't make me need a TV license
Reply 161
Reue
Do not do this.

I strongly advise that anyone who does not need a tv licence makes no form of contact with the TV Licencing company. It will not help you and will just make them harrass you more in the future.

You do not need to contact the Tv Licensing Company to inform them that you don't require a licence.

Recently our house hold received a letter claiming that an inspector visited (which is true)and that he found evidence that the television was being used without a TV licence (an obvious lie). Then there's all the generic, potentially being taken to court along with the fact that we are being given one more chance.

My friend all shaken up was almost tempted to cough up the £140 despite knowing that we did not watch TV or stream at all. Our television is used for gaming purposes only, but we're not sure if it's capable of receiving signal. Why would we care?

Anyhow I don't know if this is the typical threatening letter since it's specifically claiming that they have evidence as opposed to "You need a TV licence if you watch TV". It's just total rubbish when the inspector themselves mentioned that we were fine if we didn't use it, and for us to suddenly receive this letter claiming the exact opposite.

Thinking of contacting them tomorrow to clarify the issue, but would this seriously just make things worse?
Reply 162
Tombola
Thinking of contacting them tomorrow to clarify the issue, but would this seriously just make things worse?

There is no way contacting them could make it any better.

You are under no legal obligation to contact them whatsoever. They advertise the fact you 'must contact us if you do not use a television' purely for their own database maintaince and ensure they are able to send you personalised letters/visits.
Reply 163
Reue
There is no way contacting them could make it any better.

You are under no legal obligation to contact them whatsoever. They advertise the fact you 'must contact us if you do not use a television' purely for their own database maintaince and ensure they are able to send you personalised letters/visits.

Hm. So the threat of court is just a bluff then?

It seems odd that they would send a letter stating that we are definitely using the TV, instead of potentially using a TV. I know they resort to scare tactics, but something that is a blatant lie?
Reply 164
Tombola
Hm. So the threat of court is just a bluff then?

It seems odd that they would send a letter stating that we are definitely using the TV, instead of potentially using a TV. I know they resort to scare tactics, but something that is a blatant lie?

What threat?

You havnt broken any laws and so going to court is of no threat to you anyway.
Reply 165
Reue
Do not do this.

If you do that they'll arrange for a visit and inspection of your property :tongue:
Reply 166
Smtn
If you do that they'll arrange for a visit and inspection of your property :tongue:

Lol.

Yea, Im sure...
Reply 167
If I attached my computer with a HDMI out into a TV at university and watched it - do I need a TV license? If so, why?

I won't actually be connecting it to an ariel or using its freeview functionality (won't even be tuning it).
Reply 168
If the TV is live, Yes.
Why? Its the law.
if you look in sound and vision, you will see the TV License FAQ sticky
Reply 170
ADavis1
If the TV is live, Yes.
Why? Its the law.

First of all, its not TV.
Second of all, because its not TV, its not live TV.

So...this is just the input from my computer....downloaded files and such like...

All I want to make sure is that I dont need one just for owning a TV
Reply 171
ok I read the FAQ - i dont think I need one for what im doing.

Thanks.
Reply 172
If you're only watching pre recorded content (DVD's etc) then you don't need a license. If you're watching live TV then you do. Live TV includes streams of Live TV that might have a short delay on them (so includes the likes of the live streams on iPlayer and TV catchup)
mfaxford
If you're only watching pre recorded content (DVD's etc) then you don't need a license. If you're watching live TV then you do. Live TV includes streams of Live TV that might have a short delay on them (so includes the likes of the live streams on iPlayer and TV catchup)

it doesn't include tv catchup as thats obviously not live in any sense.
Reply 174
didgeridoo12uk
it doesn't include tv catchup as thats obviously not live in any sense.
Don't talk twaddle, of course it's live.
Reply 175
Yeah tvcatchup does stream live channels, and does need a licence.

Sounds like OP is just running their TV as a computer monitor which is fine, you don't need a licence.
Reply 176
True, TV Catchup is live, or effectively live. It is licensable.
Reply 177
L i b
True, TV Catchup is live, or effectively live. It is licensable.

Are you talking about programs uploaded to iplayer that can be viewed at any time? If so...they aren't live x
joseph1991
Are you talking about programs uploaded to iplayer that can be viewed at any time? If so...they aren't live x

no, they're talking about: http://www.tvcatchup.com/
Reply 179
-WhySoSerious?
no, they're talking about: http://www.tvcatchup.com/

Oh right yeah, you definitely need a license for that. I dont get why people dont understand? live tv = you need a license. not live tv = no license needed. x

Quick Reply

Latest