The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
deploythecowcatcher
so if it was possible to increase perfomance and economy with no negative side effects, then why did the manufactures not include this as standard, (which would allow them to sell more cars, and make more profit)

For reasons previously stated.

They do, VW have a 140bhp Diesel and a 170bhp Diesel, they are the same engine with two different safe, generic global maps.
gbduo

I was eating in excess of 7000 calories when I was on ship, but I burnt it all off in the engine room.

That cant' be right.

That's nearly 2 marathon's worth of calories.............
Reply 42
Friggerpants
That cant' be right.

That's nearly 2 marathon's worth of calories.............

Er, well breakfast, lunch, dinner, midnight dinner (Pizza, hot dogs, burgers, etc) every day.

So Breakfast was a full cooked breakfast, lunch was always cooked and normally curry or hot sandwiches, and then dinner was a 7 course affair so and then midnight snacks after watch.

You would work 4 hours at 12 til 4pm and then 12 til 4am. Fit food around those times.

So you are working 8 hours in a tin clad sweat box whose average temperature is 45C and most of the places where you work it is over 55C in most places. You are then doing physical stuff, like replacing a piston or filters or whatever, so it is very easy to burn lots and lots of calories.

I lost weight on ship...
gbduo
Er, well breakfast, lunch, dinner, midnight dinner (Pizza, hot dogs, burgers, etc) every day.

So Breakfast was a full cooked breakfast, lunch was always cooked and normally curry or hot sandwiches, and then dinner was a 7 course affair so and then midnight snacks after watch.

You would work 4 hours at 12 til 4pm and then 12 til 4am. Fit food around those times.

So you are working 8 hours in a tin clad sweat box whose average temperature is 45C and most of the places where you work it is over 55C in most places. You are then doing physical stuff, like replacing a piston or filters or whatever, so it is very easy to burn lots and lots of calories.

I lost weight on ship...

you smell!
Reply 44
hehe, I usually did quite bad after work.

But a shower and a swim in the pools on deck under the stars in the Arctic was pretty immense...
Reply 45
antrock101
Think of it this way, if serious modders could save £1000's in inductions and remaps ect and buy a resistor why wouldn't they, like i said before prelonged usage will damage the engine

Because, basically, there's very little point in wasting money in building two engines when you could just detune one and put it in a cheaper model. The Rover 3.9V8 in my old Range Rover was detuned at the factory to 180bhp but they're known as one of the best V8 engines Britain ever produced because they're so versatile.

Manufacturers like to say, look here's a crappy model, but you can have this better model for not much more money so why don't you get that one instead? Canon didn't build video mode into the 50D, but the 500D (which came out before it), the 7D and the 5D mkll all have it, and the latter two came out at roughly the same time. They're keeping it for the 60D because they'd already improved the 50D over the 40D enough to tempt people to upgrade without the video. It's how stuff works.

The reason why we don't usually add chips to more performance orientated cars is that their engines are usually already chipped up by the factory to a more powerful setting. Euroboxes usually sell by their economy so engines are detuned to this effect.

Better economy can be had by power increases. If the engine becomes more powerful and you drive it the same as you did before then you use less fuel. Conversely you can drive it faster than you did before and use the same amount of fuel.
Yas89
i dunno, it prob will be fine, but dunno if I would trust buying this kinda stuff on my own, i would rather go to a reputable company and do this, coz at least its being done by pros and theres some sort of warantee. im thinking of remapping my turbodiesel focus and it would cost about 350 quid. But dunno if i can trust it to not wear out my engine or something!

As long as your car has been serviced well, remapping should be fine. Just make sure they dont increase the power too much!
Reply 47
Potential Trigger
As long as your car has been serviced well, remapping should be fine. Just make sure they dont increase the power too much!

would you admit there's a risk though?
Yas89
would you admit there's a risk though?

Definitely, it does depend alot on where you get it done, and the general wellbeing of your car and of course what car it is, some remap better than others. That's what I have gathered from roaming on forums.

But it's a risk I will take. Most common probloms seem to be turbo blowing, clutch slipping, black smoke from exhaust. Best to go to specific forums related to your car.

That's another reason I want to get a chip, cus u can remove it e.t.c but a remap is more permanent.
Reply 49
Original post by RandomFellas
If engines could give more HP and Torque, and more fuel economey doing so, they would have made that as standard to get their cars to sell more.

I can almost certainly say that that chip will increse the cars performace by 2-3% (a few extra HP) while ruining your fuel economy.

im sorry is there no one on here that can give a proper answer the chips do work remap even beter and the reason they dont give all the power ie rover 75 has a bmw engine the same that is in the 520 bmw if it had same power it would compete with the 520 at a much cheaper price and most engines are done to a cost the bhp will go up to as quoted IF the engine is in near perfect order he fuel wont change it may go down slightly but hey you will get were your goin quicker
Reply 50
Original post by RandomFellas
If engines could give more HP and Torque, and more fuel economey doing so, they would have made that as standard to get their cars to sell more.

I can almost certainly say that that chip will increse the cars performace by 2-3% (a few extra HP) while ruining your fuel economy.

Clearly you aren't familiar with the concept of over-clocking.
Reply 51
Original post by crag
im sorry is there no one on here that can give a proper answer the chips do work remap even beter and the reason they dont give all the power ie rover 75 has a bmw engine the same that is in the 520 bmw if it had same power it would compete with the 520 at a much cheaper price and most engines are done to a cost the bhp will go up to as quoted IF the engine is in near perfect order he fuel wont change it may go down slightly but hey you will get were your goin quicker

Reply 52
I realise I've brought this back from the dead, but I am looking at getting a chip for my car and there's a bit of info here already.

Ive got a 2006 1.3 corsa cdti, 70ps model. I'm figuring that this is the same situation as the Golf as my car is available as a 95ps version as well? I want a bit more power because travelling between home and uni I could do with a bit more grunt for the motorway :P

There are a few that are available on ebay:
One called Pro Bitz looked good, Also these: chip tuning boxes look like they have a decent selection. Its hard to decide though, and there seem to be hundreds to choose from at all different prices. Is there any difference between the ones that are £50 and the ones that are £500?
Reply 53
Probably the quality of the tune and how safe it is.

Remember that you are effectively making the engine work harder and tuning it, also remember it is the most expensive part of the car. Do you really want to trust a stranger with eBay selling a chip with £50 with your £10k possession?
Reply 54
Hmm, I see your point, maybe I will get the one that's not on eBay then. I suppose at least if they are a real company I have more chance of getting some support off them. :s-smilie:
Reply 55
Yeh, but I also think you should go on the Corsa Owners Forum and ask them for advice, they will probably have experience of it being done, the pros/cons and the best place for it.

You need to get these things with care, they promise great things and I am sure that some of it achieve it, but unless you use a rolling road before and after you will never know if the power increase is real or not. If you use the owners club, they might be able to tell you the best product on the market.

HTH

Graham
Oh my old thread lol. Yeah I have now learnt that stay from ebay chips! Never used them but people say they don't give you anywhere near the power they state. Custom remap at a reputable company is the best way forward. Ask at an owners forum .
Reply 57
Everyone on here that says they don't work are idiots !! fACT!!

It's no different to having an ecu chipped..!! They create more air and fuel mixture hence more bhp and torque!!

So companies like jabbasport , tdi tuning who sell and HAVE DONE power runs proving there claims are all full off bull then????

Lets not forget a remap is exactly the same in essense as a tuning box only it's done via ecu instead telling the car more air and fuel is going in !! It's the same only more complex...

And before anyone decides to discredit what am sayin only true way of getting more fuel in is bigger injectors..

Only way of getting more air in is an induction kit or better bigger inlet hose/pipe allowing more air in... These are basic factors no wonder this is called the "student room"
Reply 58
Original post by L17rmy
Everyone on here that says they don't work are idiots !! fACT!!

It's no different to having an ecu chipped..!! They create more air and fuel mixture hence more bhp and torque!!

So companies like jabbasport , tdi tuning who sell and HAVE DONE power runs proving there claims are all full off bull then????

Lets not forget a remap is exactly the same in essense as a tuning box only it's done via ecu instead telling the car more air and fuel is going in !! It's the same only more complex...

And before anyone decides to discredit what am sayin only true way of getting more fuel in is bigger injectors..

Only way of getting more air in is an induction kit or better bigger inlet hose/pipe allowing more air in... These are basic factors no wonder this is called the "student room"

You're a bit slow, aren't ya. There's a massive difference between rechipping the ECU and just plugging in a little box. The box tricks the ECU into adjusting its fuelling, injection timing, and waste gate function. As such, the ECU is making bad decisions based on incorrect information - it needs correct information from the engine sensors to send the correct amount of fuel, set the injection timing properly, etc. With the box, you get more fuel, but the engine runs less efficiently and less safely as a result. When you get a proper rechip you're telling the ECU that there's a new map to run off, and it'll then use all of its sensors properly to achieve that map. If you're doing it properly, they'll even use a rolling road to tune the remap to your engine and gear ratios to avoid flat spots in the power. Plugging in a cheap little box is nothing like getting a proper rechip/remap.

Admittedly your point about injectors is correct, which is why it's one of the first power mods you do to TDIs, along with the remap. However, 90% of cars come with a good enough air intake from the factory that there's no need to mess around with filters and air intakes. If you do, it's purely for show, unless you're actually running big power figures like 5-600hp+
(edited 10 years ago)
Too get more fuel in the engine, you can run a higher pressure fuel pump, change just the nozzles, change the injection cycle, change IQ, cycle duty etc.

Too get more air in, you can fit a new turbo, or run more boost.

I think you're slightly wrong on what you say in your post....

Latest