The Student Room Group

The Official Higher English Thread: Help and Discussion :: Pre-Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
LuhLah
Failed my practice TA by two marks!!! Gutted. It was on the doll's house...argh

I handed in my practice prelim close reading and she emailed me saying I did quite well, so that's :woo:able!!

Is anyone else doing Streetcar? :lolwut: My teacher always goes on about sex in streetcar, and then tells digusting sex jokes and her favourite penis size :lolwut: She's like 100 :s-smilie:

Critical Essay: "A poem normally explores an intense emotional expierence. Choose one such poem and examine the techniques used to illustrate the significance of the expierence which gave rise to the poem."

I'm thinking visiting hour! :awesome:

I'm doing Streetcar - maybe we should stay in touch and help each other?! Really want to pass English!!
Reply 61
jackwka
Anyone else doing visiting hour? It is so CRAP

I' doing Visiting Hour too. I really like it! lol...maybe I'm sad! :rolleyes:
LuhLah
Is anyone else doing Streetcar? :lolwut: My teacher always goes on about sex in streetcar, and then tells digusting sex jokes and her favourite penis size :lolwut: She's like 100 :s-smilie:

I'm doing Streetcar, although for AH... are big boys and girls allowed in here too? :awesome:

:rofl: Our teacher for Streetcar is exactly like that. Not being mean here, but seriously -- she is huge, and old, and looks as though she has a preference for other ladies. Nothing wrong with all that on its own, but it does make it a bit :eek: when she spends the whole period talking about sex and Blanche and sex with Blanche and how people have sex and why people have sex and what you think whilst you're having sex and why sex sex and how sex to sex my sex
Reply 63
Pedrobear
I'm doing Streetcar, although for AH... are big boys and girls allowed in here too? :awesome:

:rofl: Our teacher for Streetcar is exactly like that. Not being mean here, but seriously -- she is huge, and old, and looks as though she has a preference for other ladies. Nothing wrong with all that on its own, but it does make it a bit :eek: when she spends the whole period talking about sex and Blanche and sex with Blanche and how people have sex and why people have sex and what you think whilst you're having sex and why sex sex and how sex to sex my sex

Omg lolol.

We were talking about how Stanley is domineering over Stella sexually, and then that went into bondage, then incest, necrophilia and old people sex. :rofl:

Something weird happened to me though: when we were reading the scene where Stanley reveals everything about Blanche and he mimics Blanche:"Cleaning out some things?"...I said that maybe it was foreshadowing the symbolism of the bath and how Blanche is trying to get rid of the memories of her gay husband..."Don't analyse it to death Danielle, she's cleaning out her fanny" :indiff:
Reply 64
Holy Crow, ok, I like my teacher...so far! We haven't really touched on Drama yet....but I'm hoping for no fanny, necrophillia, old people...sex sex sex talks....
Reply 65
evel4
Holy Crow, ok, I like my teacher...so far! We haven't really touched on Drama yet....but I'm hoping for no fanny, necrophillia, old people...sex sex sex talks....

It certainly livens up the period. :wink:
Reply 66
LuhLah
It certainly livens up the period. :wink:

Ok, enjoyable study sounds good...but necrophillia, old people and fanny? Not thanks! lol
Reply 67
evel4
Ok, enjoyable study sounds good...but necrophillia, old people and fanny? Not thanks! lol

Good point. :p:

---

I've started to work on the critical essay guide, so look on the first couple of pages to see it's development. If there's anything you don't like or if you find something wrong with either of my guides, please pm me. Thanks :smile:
Reply 68
Can anyone help me to understand how to approach a question such as "by refering closely to these lines, show how you are helped to understand the meaning of the expression "diverse cultural heritage" (It's a 2003 paper). 2 marks U

I know it's kinda simple question, but sometimes it's those simple ones that stump me!
Reply 69
evel4
Can anyone help me to understand how to approach a question such as "by refering closely to these lines, show how you are helped to understand the meaning of the expression "diverse cultural heritage" (It's a 2003 paper). 2 marks U

I know it's kinda simple question, but sometimes it's those simple ones that stump me!

Look for ideas/points/words the writer makes/has written which relates to "diverse cultural heritage", put them into your own words and relate to the question. Here's an example:

"I am helped to understand the meaning of the expression "diverse cultural heritage because the writer talks about <idea/point/word in your own words> and <idea/point/word in your own words>."

I know! It can be confusing.
Reply 70
WilliamWallace
AAH! Got my Textual Analysis NAB on Friday, anyone got any tips/links that can help me?

Omg I did mine yesterday and I think I failed lol :indiff: It was on Great Expectations, I was hoping for a poem!!! :frown: :frown: :frown:

http://www.staloysius.org/Myrtle/English/s5/mod4/resourcepage.htm
Reply 71
I have my prelim on Monday :biggrin: hurrah for poopin' myself!

The lecturer basically gave away what texts to go over though, what a n00b. Education For Leisure by Carol Ann Duffy and A Hanging by George Orwell it is then...
Reply 72
Sarurrr
I have my prelim on Monday :biggrin: hurrah for poopin' myself!

The lecturer basically gave away what texts to go over though, what a n00b. Education For Leisure by Carol Ann Duffy and A Hanging by George Orwell it is then...

Me too, monday :zomg:

Check sparknotes, you should get sufficient analysis off there lol
Reply 73
LuhLah
Me too, monday :zomg:

Check sparknotes, you should get sufficient analysis off there lol

Haha, there's enough analysis for me to write enough, it's just writing the essays that's the problem... Been far too long... Scared I make a mess of it and end up with another C :p: desperate for my B!!
Reply 74
I passed my close reading NAB with 24/30 yay. That just leaves the writing NAB now. I was sure I'd do reflective, but now that I've seen it, some of the discursive topics look really fun to write about. Anyone people that have done this NAB with either reflective or discursive, please give me some input :biggrin:
Reply 75
jackwka
I passed my close reading NAB with 24/30 yay. That just leaves the writing NAB now. I was sure I'd do reflective, but now that I've seen it, some of the discursive topics look really fun to write about. Anyone people that have done this NAB with either reflective or discursive, please give me some input :biggrin:

I did a report and if your school lets you do it I'd recommend it. I passed easily first time with very little work. It's easy and I don't see any point in making things difficult for yourself. :biggrin:
Reply 76
I did reflective and passed first time.

Gotta fit 6 months of work into like two days tomorrow, bloody prelim
Reply 77
I did my English prelim and I got a C.. close enough to a B tho! aiming for an A, as English is wat I wana do at uni!!! dreading the final exam :frown:
Reply 78
Memorised 20 quotes for J&H, now for Streetcar
:frown: Close Reading is giving me so much grief at the moment. I'm so confused. There's nothing that sticks out and makes me go, "That's what I'm doing wrong!", I really have no idea how to improve. I've glossed over the guide on the first page, I'll have a proper read of it tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending