The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

it really doesn't matter, once the effect of peak oil kicks then any previous effects will be counteracted... unless your currently being flooded... I guess most TSR user's rooms are dry :smile: ...

I'm all for energy saving measures though to help the transitioning process...
it's a theory. personally it aint our fault entirely, we speed up the process but geology shows the climate constantly fluctuates!! we are still coming out of the last ice age for crying out loud!! argh!! this gets on my t*ts!! believe what you wish
Reply 42
stinky--pete
it's a theory. personally it aint our fault entirely, we speed up the process but geology shows the climate constantly fluctuates!! we are still coming out of the last ice age for crying out loud!! argh!! this gets on my t*ts!! believe what you wish

"It's just a theory!!!"
You mean like the Theory of relativity, theory of evolution, the theory of gravity?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

Please watch the videos I linked to in my previous post and might just change your mind - it's got lots of Unbiased Peer-reviewed evidence behind it. ;p
Reply 43
The climate has always changed, there are occasional unexpected patterns in the weather - this is completely normal and people think that because of the heavy snow in January we are all going to burn or freeze to death in a few years. While I believe climate change is happening at a slightly faster rate, it's just an opportunity for our political leaders to grab more money from us. There is certainly not enough evidence to suggest climate change is largely man-made, figures have been altered by academics to make them fit in with what they want us to believe. Climate change is basically hyped up to scrounge more money out of the tax payer.
Ylem
I think you are right to think that it's rubbish. Anybody with a rudimentary understanding of chemistry and physics knows that if you increase the concentration of CO2 in an atmosphere it reflects and traps radiation given out from a radiating energy source. Thus increasing temperature.

We know that there are hundreds of millions of cars pumping out millions of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere and we know its effect.

I really do not understand how anybody can deny this stuff, it really is basic science.

It's like evolution. People like denying what is patently obvious, simply because they cannot accept evidence that conflicts with their beliefs and what they have been brought up to believe in.

Also, because the centre-left - which in most countries has historic links to the green movement - was the first to adopt "eco-friendly" policies and attitudes, the substantial right wings in many nations view it as a leftist ploy. In reality it's simply a logical move for any New Left-derived party such as New Labour as the Greens evolved in parallel and in conjunction with the New Left during the 50s-60s. Given the wide-scale government-led policies that need to be enacted to combat an issue like global warming, right-wing parties often view it is a statist power grab.

Frankly, I do not think there is any doubt that we are having a global effect on the climate and seriously disturbing the natural climatic variation. For the first time in several million years, CO2 is predicted to cross above 400ppm in the atmosphere. Please don't patronise me by saying that "it's volcanic activity" - we are in a period of relative calm in regards to global volcanism. There is no source on the planet that can possible produce nearly as large an increase in CO2 and other GHGs as humanity, especially not in a mere 150 years. When you combine that with lowering of the global surface albedo, CO2 saturation of the oceans (the major CO2 sinks in the planet, evidenced through acidification causing ecosystem collapse and coral bleaching) and huge deforestation in the Amazon, Indonesia and the Congo, as well as the often-neglected Boreal forests in Canada and Russia, the evidence is all there and points towards serious climatic change in the future.

However, the nature of that change is wildly variable, since it depends on the outcomes of so many different variables. If the thermohaline circulation collapses due to oceanic acidification, then the Northern Hemisphere will be plunged into an ice age within a decade.

Bah, I get all pent up about this.
Aphotic Cosmos
If the thermohaline circulation collapses due to oceanic acidification, then the Northern Hemisphere will be plunged into an ice age within a decade.

Can I have odds against please :wink: I've paypal
semiotically
Can I have odds against please :wink: I've paypal

Well to put it simply, the odds are still low but increasing. The big question is whether global-scale melting of the Greenland and Antarctic freshwater ice sheets leads to enough reduction in oceanic salinity to break down the circulation, which revolves around marked differences in salinity within different parts of the ocean. As for a bet? I'm no bookie :wink:
Piprod01
"It's just a theory!!!"
You mean like the Theory of relativity, theory of evolution, the theory of gravity?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

Please watch the videos I linked to in my previous post and might just change your mind - it's got lots of Unbiased Peer-reviewed evidence behind it. ;p

then what about milankovic cycles, sunspots, constant gradual change. climate change is happening but it aint all anthropogenic, thats all i'm saying!! and i said it was a theory because it's more that than a myth!!
Probably :biggrin:
I think it is happening.
Reply 50
Untitled258
Until mythbusters do a piece on "is climate change a myth" quite frankly, noone will know the answers, its all down to Jamie and Adam now.

Jamie and Adam:eek: Those people take the fun out of conspiracy theories, I now can't believe the Moon Landing was in Hollywood:colonhash:

:rofl:
Aphotic Cosmos
It's like evolution. People like denying what is patently obvious, simply because they cannot accept evidence that conflicts with their beliefs and what they have been brought up to believe in.

Also, because the centre-left - which in most countries has historic links to the green movement - was the first to adopt "eco-friendly" policies and attitudes, the substantial right wings in many nations view it as a leftist ploy. In reality it's simply a logical move for any New Left-derived party such as New Labour as the Greens evolved in parallel and in conjunction with the New Left during the 50s-60s. Given the wide-scale government-led policies that need to be enacted to combat an issue like global warming, right-wing parties often view it is a statist power grab.

Frankly, I do not think there is any doubt that we are having a global effect on the climate and seriously disturbing the natural climatic variation. For the first time in several million years, CO2 is predicted to cross above 400ppm in the atmosphere. Please don't patronise me by saying that "it's volcanic activity" - we are in a period of relative calm in regards to global volcanism. There is no source on the planet that can possible produce nearly as large an increase in CO2 and other GHGs as humanity, especially not in a mere 150 years. When you combine that with lowering of the global surface albedo, CO2 saturation of the oceans (the major CO2 sinks in the planet, evidenced through acidification causing ecosystem collapse and coral bleaching) and huge deforestation in the Amazon, Indonesia and the Congo, as well as the often-neglected Boreal forests in Canada and Russia, the evidence is all there and points towards serious climatic change in the future.

However, the nature of that change is wildly variable, since it depends on the outcomes of so many different variables. If the thermohaline circulation collapses due to oceanic acidification, then the Northern Hemisphere will be plunged into an ice age within a decade.

Bah, I get all pent up about this.

This.

Funny how so many people are quick to believe that the government/scientists are lying, and not the oil-company payroll deniers. I guess its because believing the oil companies means they don't have to do anything about it.
areithr
Although the planet may have warmed in previous years, current levels will affect our lives quite drastically and if we can do something to combat it, why not?

Yes, why risk the possible (disastrous) consequences?

I agree that some degree of skepticism is good, but when respected scientific institutions like the NAS or the AAAS all say the same thing, we shd worry IMO.

Everyone shd have good sources of info. And enough of the "In my opinion, its defo NOT manmade"... In your opinion? Really? Who are you? A scientist? Do you have a doctorate in climatology? :woo:
I dont trust you to know better about cimate change than people that have spent their lives studying the subject, thank you very much.

Pls everyone, check your sources...
Reply 53
Original post by areithr
yes it is a load of rubbish! IS THERE ACTUALLY ANY REAL PROOF THAT IT ACTUALLY EXISTS NO! GOD ALL WAY! IF IT DID EXIST GOD WOUOLD STOP IT FROM HAPPENING CALM DOWN GUYS
Original post by wiljack
Original post by areithr
yes it is a load of rubbish! IS THERE ACTUALLY ANY REAL PROOF THAT IT ACTUALLY EXISTS NO! GOD ALL WAY! IF IT DID EXIST GOD WOUOLD STOP IT FROM HAPPENING CALM DOWN GUYS

You need a "
" on the end of that :tongue:
Yes.

Latest

Trending

Trending