The Student Room Group

Girl continuously calls me 'cute' - annoying + slightly degrading?

First off, I'm not looking for someone to say "LOL she fancies u!!11" - I'm well aware that she most definitely doesn't.

One of my female uni mates always seems to refer to my actions as 'cute'. No matter what it is, it's "aww that's so cute", "you're so cute!", etc etc. She never refers to anyone else in the group like that. A once in a while comment like that would go unnoticed, but when it's pretty much every day it gets a bit grating and seems to take away from my (very small amounts of) masculinity in front of my male mates.

Girls, why would you say this to a guy? Is it meant as an insult? To be honest it makes me feel like I'm 5 years old!

Answers on a postcard.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sounds like you've been placed in the sweet friend zone. Congratulations!
Reply 2
Cute means a not so desperate way of saying hot - the way I say it.
Whenever ive been called cute its ended up that she liked me all along, but then again under the hat & bandana, i am super cute lol :smile:
Reply 4
It means you need to man up and act Alpha.

She may like you but because you're not masculine she won't jump at you. She'll likely wait for the rebound or when she gets really lonely because she likes you but knows there are bigger, stronger guys out there - Alpha males.
It's probably a patronising way of saying you're immature and you need more life experience :top: /you probably look young too
Reply 6
Ryan W
Sounds like you've been placed in the sweet friend zone. Congratulations!

Thing is I have no intentions/want to be with the girl. I have a great relationship with my gf, and she has a great relationship with her bf. I could understand those sorts of comments as 'brush offs' if I was trying to come on to her or something, but I'm really not, and there's no way my actions would be taken that way...
Reply 7
I get called cute a lot, but never anything masculine like hot or sexy. It is a way of being attractive and some girls like it. You can change the way you act, which seems to contribute to it, but if you're like me and look like a 14 year old boy there's only so much you can do beyond accepting it.
Reply 8
It can mean so many different things.
Reply 9
Because I think he's cute? I did that to my ex alot. But he was so ******* cute.
Anonymous

Girls, why would you say this to a guy? Is it meant as an insult? To be honest it makes me feel like I'm 5 years old!

It's not meant to be an insult at all :indiff: It's like the female way of saying she likes you, you're sweet and nice and she might well fancy you a bit!

From experience, as soon as you call a guy 'hot' or 'fit' or whatever, they think they're in there and try it on as soon as they can! Cute is a safer word.
Man up
Reply 12
An insult?! I say it as a compliment :unsure:
Reply 13
cute= sweet and lovable
how can u take it as an insult?? :O
Yep, that's pretty patronising.... I'd only say it to my bf if I wanted to teasingly degrade his masculinity a litte :biggrin: She might not mean to be patronising though, she might be trying to express that she likes you. She should just try to search for a word that doesn't imply that you're a toddler :smile:
It's probably sweet and teasing in a friendly way =) If it bothers you, tell her.
Reply 16
Anonymous
First off, I'm not looking for someone to say "LOL she fancies u!!11" - I'm well aware that she most definitely doesn't.

One of my female uni mates always seems to refer to my actions as 'cute'. No matter what it is, it's "aww that's so cute", "you're so cute!", etc etc. She never refers to anyone else in the group like that. A once in a while comment like that would go unnoticed, but when it's pretty much every day it gets a bit grating and seems to take away from my (very small amounts of) masculinity in front of my male mates.

Answers on a postcard.
She thinks you're a teddy-bear, or maybe a puppy. Maybe you should talk to her, and tell her to either squeeze you (joke, obviously), or stop it because it's pissing you off.
u sure this girl isnt me?
lol i dont even go uni, but a couple of my close guy friends im always calling cute but we joke about it cos i know its annoying but hey what are friends for :smile:
Reply 18
She thinks you're cute, that's easy :h: would you really like her if she was like 'Ohhhhh, you're sooooo sexyyyy' :mmm: ? Because I don't think you would!! You can tell her if you really don't like it :yep:
Broderss
It means you need to man up and act Alpha.

She may like you but because you're not masculine she won't jump at you. She'll likely wait for the rebound or when she gets really lonely because she likes you but knows there are bigger, stronger guys out there - Alpha males.

So called "Alpha-males"= amusing fails.

Latest

Trending

Trending