The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Insurance is a joke. £1400 for a 1.3 KA :eek:
Reply 61
starryeyed.

I'm guessing your female? Well the world of insurance is sexist, so you should be able to get a better deal than that !

Should be aiming for around the £1000 mark at most, try all comparison websites, then which ones of those that are cheap, try them directly, should be even cheaper.
Reply 62
starryeyed.

try being given a quote for £2300 for a 1.3 KA!
one minute it was £1700 now its gone up.
Reply 63
just to clear something up...

when you fill out the section where it says when did the driver obtain a licence. Is that the when you got your provisional licence or when you actually got your full licence.

Thanks
manutd22
just to clear something up...

when you fill out the section where it says when did the driver obtain a licence. Is that the when you got your provisional licence or when you actually got your full licence.

Thanks

Usually Full licence.
Is a quote of £1900 good for a 17 y/o male?
Reply 66
£1600 for an 09 Corsa fully comp, first car. Is that good?
Depends, are you insured as the main driver?
Reply 68
Tomtomtom910
Depends, are you insured as the main driver?

Yup.
Reply 69
Got my insurance down to £1100 :smile:
Reply 70
Belle-x
Got my insurance down to £1100 :smile:

How?!!!! :frown:
Reply 71
Jodly.X
How?!!!! :frown:

Just a different company! For some reason, Go Compare was quoting me £1600 last week but when I checked yesterday, I was getting quotes for around £1100-£1300! Not bad for fully comp on an 09 plate car!
Reply 72
turns out my insurance only went up by £300!!! ya dancer:smile: with quinn btw (expires sep tho) so altogether insurance was £900 a year, for half a year learner, half a year named driver...
Reply 73
By switching car insurance companies today I saved myself £150 on my renewal notice quote, and my current insurance company couldn't match it!
I really envy car insurance right now...

Trying to insure my boyfriend on my car because he passed his test a few months ago and I won't be passing any time soon. Cheapest I think was at £2000+! :frown:
Reply 75
Getting a 1.0-1.2 litre probs, quinn is always the cheapest deal fo me , mum as named driver... bet quote ~£1.5k down from aroun £3k . Thats half price after a week hard work. The insurance group tables are a good starting point but i actually found some gp 3 cars cheaper than gp1 which is odd
I insured my car with tescos and paid quite a reasonable price (£1062 fully comp with legal cover for a 1.2l punto, online). I spoke to someone else i know and they said that tesco is quite good for new/young drivers.
It was easy to use when i got a quote on the internet too. I tried a couple of comparason website (go compare, money supermarket and confused.com). They were all not too bad but came up with expencive quotes. Confused.com was the worst- it was so hard to use and gave me really expencive quotes.
I would really recommend trying tesco.
Would recommend Aviva. Took out a policy last week on a 2003 53 Peugeot 206 1.1L. Fully comp and it is £1200 but my mums insurance is £200 so minus that from the policy and leaves mine at a £1000 for the year which is £83 a month. With courtesy car etc. Mum as the main driver and me as the 2nd driver and her no claims is protected. Bear in mind that I am a 17 year old lad too!

Also a good thing about Aviva was that I can earn my own no claims discount as a 2nd driver.

Also they gave us 2 months insurance free and a 15% discount for doing it online. And something else I can't remember what but all together with the discounts we got £700 knocked off the original price :smile:
CheekyMonkey1001
Would recommend Aviva. Took out a policy last week on a 2003 53 Peugeot 206 1.1L. Fully comp and it is £1200 but my mums insurance is £200 so minus that from the policy and leaves mine at a £1000 for the year which is £83 a month. With courtesy car etc. Mum as the main driver and me as the 2nd driver and her no claims is protected. Bear in mind that I am a 17 year old lad too!

Also a good thing about Aviva was that I can earn my own no claims discount as a 2nd driver.

Also they gave us 2 months insurance free and a 15% discount for doing it online. And something else I can't remember what but all together with the discounts we got £700 knocked off the original price :smile:

You are aware having a parent as the main driver on your vehicle when you are the main driver is illegal? It invalidates your insurance meaning if you have an accident you could end up paying for it out of your own pockets, furthermore its no different from insurance fraud since you've openly lied on your policy.
Tomtomtom910
You are aware having a parent as the main driver on your vehicle when you are the main driver is illegal? It invalidates your insurance meaning if you have an accident you could end up paying for it out of your own pockets, furthermore its no different from insurance fraud since you've openly lied on your policy.

But the thing is I am not the main driver I will be using it now and again during the week but not as much as my mum. It is my mums car (legal owner everything etc) and she is the main driver.

So I haven't lied about anything have I.