Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

estel
Zing.

Hai :h:

:h:

estel
For example, the other Analysis II lecturer (for joint degree) is better than the one that we (Maths students) get.

I agree: the one we get is awful.

estel
Yes, there are constant jibes thrown by some (*cough*Tom, Hathlan*cough*),

I should jibe more :yep:

estel
but in their more lucid moments I insist that they'll actually conclude it's an infinitely superior degree to their own, and any gripes they outwardly express are purely the result of unfettered jealousy.

You live in a beautiful world.

davidcarvalho

On another note you have just experienced what a Friday night at Warwick is like.

NIEGH :horseIknowonedoesnotexist:

On another note I think estel is one of the only users who seem to be online all the time :holmes:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
secretmessages
If you take computer science modules, they will be organised and taken by the computer science department (99% of the time). However, this doesn't mean they'll actually take place in the department building. Maths lectures will generally be in the maths building .

oh alright. I thought the lectures were kind of more fixed to the departmental scale of organisation, but that's completely fine by me.

estel
Zing.

Hai :h:

Worst thing about the course: being seen as a second class student by the maths department itself. Not in the way that you're treating individually, of course, but the maths department is a bit up itself in some respects. Namely: MathPhys students don't get access to the Maths undergraduate workroom, despite having first year supervision sessions in there. Rage rage rage. (This doesn't have any real effect on your studies of course, it's just a gripe that generations of joint honours students have complained about with the SSLC).

I don't think it's true that the degree is looked down upon by other people in either department :smile:. Yes, there are constant jibes thrown by some (*cough*Tom, Hathlan*cough*), but in their more lucid moments I insist that they'll actually conclude it's an infinitely superior degree to their own, and any gripes they outwardly express are purely the result of unfettered jealousy.

Yeah I suppose MathPhys students are just like that: they kind of keep the prey under control and then FLAASH they appear out of the blue. That was a pretty informative post; being from a MathPhys student is even an accuracy bonus:biggrin: :biggrin:

So Estel, would you say that the course is fairly balanced as for the proportion MATHS / PHYSICS?
Furthermore, is there a different approach to Experiments and Laboratory Physics than, say, straight physics students?

Once again, you've all been fairly helpful and insightful, thank you guys:ahee:
Reply 22
Firmed Warwick for Economics L100, 2010 entry :smile:

Just wanted to ask whether anyone brings their ps3 to uni? And whether you can connect to the playstation network/market with the uni network, or are there restrictions?

Oh and is there a limited bandwidth for internet? I.e. once you hit lets say 5GB, your internet just dies until the first of the next month?
Welix
Firmed Warwick for Economics L100, 2010 entry :smile:

Just wanted to ask whether anyone brings their ps3 to uni? And whether you can connect to the playstation network/market with the uni network, or are there restrictions?

Oh and is there a limited bandwidth for internet? I.e. once you hit lets say 5GB, your internet just dies until the first of the next month?

I think a fair number of people bring consoles to uni, and I think they all work (not 100% sure, someone will confirm this), but you can only connect one device to the network at once - so it's PS3 or computer. There's no strictly enforced download limit, though if you download a lot regularly you may get an email from IT Services.
Reply 24
secretmessages
I think a fair number of people bring consoles to uni, and I think they all work (not 100% sure, someone will confirm this), but you can only connect one device to the network at once - so it's PS3 or computer. There's no strictly enforced download limit, though if you download a lot regularly you may get an email from IT Services.

Thank you :smile:

forgot to add a question, in halls is it just Ethernet cable or is there WLAN as well? Or does this depend on the hall? Because I read that the campus is supposedly fully wireless or something like that? Or did I read something not quite correct there :p:
Welix
Thank you :smile:

forgot to add a question, in halls is it just Ethernet cable or is there WLAN as well? Or does this depend on the hall? Because I read that the campus is supposedly fully wireless or something like that? Or did I read something not quite correct there :p:

Accommodation is Ethernet only, using wireless is against the terms of use. However, much of campus (i.e. the department buildings, library etc.) is now covered by wireless hotspots, but not all (yet).
Reply 26
secretmessages
Accommodation is Ethernet only, using wireless is against the terms of use. However, much of campus (i.e. the department buildings, library etc.) is now covered by wireless hotspots, but not all (yet).

I see. So even if you have like a 3G/HSDPA card for your laptop, it's not allowed to use that in your room? Or do you mean there might be some wireless reception in some rooms, but it's against the terms of use to use that.

Thanks again for the responses :smile:
Welix
I see. So even if you have like a 3G/HSDPA card for your laptop, it's not allowed to use that in your room? Or do you mean there might be some wireless reception in some rooms, but it's against the terms of use to use that.

Thanks again for the responses :smile:

Sorry, to put it simply, you can't turn the Ethernet connection in your room into a wireless connection, e.g. through a router or by making your laptop a wireless access point. Nor can you use a splitter to produce two ports from the connection - IT Services will come down hard on anyone who does this. One device connected to ResNet, per room, at any one time :smile:.

It's unlikely that any of the hotspots reach into accommodation blocks, but if they did there would be no reason why you couldn't use them. Similarly if you have mobile broadband, you can use that (even though reception is generally poor), because it's separate to the residential network.
Reply 28
secretmessages
Sorry, to put it simply, you can't turn the Ethernet connection in your room into a wireless connection, e.g. through a router or by making your laptop a wireless access point. Nor can you use a splitter to produce two ports from the connection - IT Services will come down hard on anyone who does this. One device connected to ResNet, per room, at any one time :smile:.

It's unlikely that any of the hotspots reach into accommodation blocks, but if they did there would be no reason why you couldn't use them. Similarly if you have mobile broadband, you can use that (even though reception is generally poor), because it's separate to the residential network.

Ah, now I get it :biggrin: that sounds fair.
secretmessages

I've made mine wireless - I'm using it right now - and it has been all year. That way I can have the internet on my desktop, laptop and iPod.
TMDaines
I've made mine wireless - I'm using it right now - and it has been all year. That way I can have the internet on my desktop, laptop and iPod.

At your own risk :smile:.
Reply 31
I'm an Eu student so I don't have a british phone. I was going to get one before I got to warwick, but my friend at Imperial told me that her school had student discounts for phones+phone services.

Does Warwick have discounts too? Should I wait til I get to Warwick to get a phone?
andcho
I'm an Eu student so I don't have a british phone. I was going to get one before I got to warwick, but my friend at Imperial told me that her school had student discounts for phones+phone services.

Does Warwick have discounts too? Should I wait til I get to Warwick to get a phone?

Are you talking about mobile phones? I'm not aware of any scheme related to this I'm afraid :no:

I think there is some kind of calling card scheme for landline usage (at least there used to be) but I don't know much about this.
Reply 33
secretmessages
Are you talking about mobile phones? I'm not aware of any scheme related to this I'm afraid :no:

I think there is some kind of calling card scheme for landline usage (at least there used to be) but I don't know much about this.

Exactly, a mobile phone. She said that UK students got good deals with iPhones and Blackberries?
andcho
Exactly, a mobile phone. She said that UK students got good deals with iPhones and Blackberries?

You might want to ask her the exact name of the scheme she's talking about, because I don't know of it personally. Someone else might have information, you'll have to wait and see if someone else comes along to answer :smile:
secretmessages
added construction work map - let me know if there's anything missing

No idea when they're actually going to start constructing the building by the Maths department (presumably before 2015). In the approved planning application from 2007 they also had plans to develop the whole area below Heronbank and extend the 'axis' through Library Road (even though Radcliffe House is in the way). Also they're going to build a couple of more blocks near Heronbank/Lakeside Apartments. An oval building on the entrance to University House from University Road (apparently - you can see a fence that makes out the oval shaped area), also going to build two buildings to hide Car Park 7 more, another Car Park where the TES is and a building in front to hide it, they're going to build something between Tocil and the TES, in line with University Road and University House where people can be jolly and meet. Also they're planning on building an extension to the Sports Centre.

How many of these are still going ahead I don't know - planning application was granted in October 2009 and they have 10 years in which to build them - in the next 5 years I'd expect to see the construction of quite a few of them.

Just been looking a bit more here and there's going to be another 3 blocks of accommodation build opposite Old Rootes and a building next to Rootes Social to create another 'square' involving those two buildings, the Arts Centre and SQHQ/SU
TheTallOne
No idea when they're actually going to start constructing the building by the Maths department (presumably before 2015). In the approved planning application from 2007 they also had plans to develop the whole area below Heronbank and extend the 'axis' through Library Road (even though Radcliffe House is in the way). Also they're going to build a couple of more blocks near Heronbank/Lakeside Apartments. An oval building on the entrance to University House from University Road (apparently - you can see a fence that makes out the oval shaped area), also going to build two buildings to hide Car Park 7 more, another Car Park where the TES is and a building in front to hide it, they're going to build something between Tocil and the TES, in line with University Road and University House where people can be jolly and meet. Also they're planning on building an extension to the Sports Centre.

How many of these are still going ahead I don't know - planning application was granted in October 2009 and they have 10 years in which to build them - in the next 5 years I'd expect to see the construction of quite a few of them.

:zomg: Where do you get all your information from :p:. Those planning documents? I'm too lazy to read them all, perhaps I should :smile:

I assumed they were going to start building near maths soon because I've seen people doing levelling and whatnot, but perhaps that's something they do years beforehand, I have no idea to be honest.

Just been looking a bit more here and there's going to be another 3 blocks of accommodation build opposite Old Rootes and a building next to Rootes Social to create another 'square' involving those two buildings, the Arts Centre and SQHQ/SU

I noticed the other three blocks of accommodation when I was looking briefly before, do you think they're part of this development or in the future? :holmes:
secretmessages
I noticed the other three blocks of accommodation when I was looking briefly before, do you think they're part of this development or in the future? :holmes:

I was bored a few weeks back (now I'm inundated with work) so I read the masterplan. They've got a 10 year window and they're doing expansion over 2, 5 year stages. It's also got interesting history about how the campus has developed over the past 45 years and the 4 or 5 different masterplans that have been drawn up.

They're only building 3 blocks and it seems to me that it is on the New Rootes side at the moment. Main focus in the first 5 years in the 50m swimming pool and social hub near Heronbank. Longer term (the next masterplan 10 years from now?) will see the demolition of many buildings in Westwood and probably a direct extension into Kenilworth or something :p:
TheTallOne
I was bored a few weeks back (now I'm inundated with work) so I read the masterplan. They've got a 10 year window and they're doing expansion over 2, 5 year stages. It's also got interesting history about how the campus has developed over the past 45 years and the 4 or 5 different masterplans that have been drawn up.

They're only building 3 blocks and it seems to me that it is on the New Rootes side at the moment. Main focus in the first 5 years in the 50m swimming pool and social hub near Heronbank. Longer term (the next masterplan 10 years from now?) will see the demolition of many buildings in Westwood and probably a direct extension into Kenilworth or something :p:

:beard: The last few pages of the masterplan document (with the maps and stuff) are awesome :awesome:. Hopefully I'll do a PhD here so I can see it all happen.
Reply 39
Hey,

I'm a really big music enthusiast and look to be playing for fun or possibly gig at the uni providing that I can pull together a band. I play guitar and drums. Will I be able to play at university gigs, will the university be able to offer me a band room and finally is the live music scene decent in Warwick itself or at Coventry?

Quick Reply