The Student Room Group

The Ultimate Learning to Drive Thread - MK II

... and here is Mk II of the thread. Off you go guys! Good Luck to you all :biggrin:

From the previous OP of the previous thread...

This is a thread devoted to learner drivers stating their ups (:biggrin:) and downs(:bawling:) of the journey of learning to drive. Past experiences are also welcome but this thread will be great to see others progress and then help eachother through the bad times and celebrate the good :party:.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Ooh shiny new thread! :awesome:

I went out for the first time on my own on Friday after passing my test two weeks ago, after plucking up lots of courage! It felt really weird, having the freedom to go where ever I want! I'm still getting used to my car too, as I learnt in a diesel and my car is a petrol. It felt really good though, and now I can't wait to go out again!
Reply 2
Had my first lesson on the roads today, was pretty scary on the roundabouts and stuff cos it was so busy! Good fun though :biggrin:
Shiny new thread! Yay!

Had another lesson today. Went quite well I thought. Even if at one point, I thought I'd chosen 4th instead of 2nd when I was in 3rd. Starting to feel more in control of the car and starting to improve my spatial awareness. At the moment I've been a bit too far over the road and not being far enough over the road when there's obstructions on my side. But all in all, I'd say it went quite well today, and I need to reapply for my licence, as I lost the paper bit (woops) so I'll do that either tomorrow when I get paid or see if I can con my parents into buying it for me! (That's what parents are for, right? :P)
Reply 4
just put in for my practical!
its like 5 weeks away but i'm already nervous and i haven't told my instructor yet D;

and bex i still hate the roundabouts!
Reply 5
Can't wait to pass my test and be done with it. It's costing me waaaay too much money.
Reply 6
only found this thread a few days ago but im taking my test tomorrow and im soooo nervous :s-smilie:
I've passed my test, but I lost my paper part... Will I really need it within the new few months? I'm pretty sure once I've decided to clean my room soon I'll find it but will I need to reapply for another one?

I went driving in my car today for the first time since over a month. Holy **** I've never stalled so much in my life, especially during my lessons just driving out of the dealership I've stalled 6 times it was crazy I nearly cried. I couldn't do my gears properly, couldn't find my bite etc. My dad who was in the car with me kept shouting and saying I should take it out of gear and handbreak at traffic lights so I did therefore I stalled like 6 times and again at a roundabout and as I didn't have my p plates at the time as I was not expecting to pick up the car today and I stop in a middle of a four way traffic lights system everybody was doing rude hand gestures and one even shouted at me to get out of the car and road. :frown: I've totally lost my confident altogether now.

Oops sorry about this mini essay.
Ducklighter
My dad who was in the car with me kept shouting and saying I should take it out of gear and handbreak at traffic lights so I did therefore I stalled like 6 times

Whenever my dad is in my car with me and I stop at traffic lights, he says I should do that ^ too, but I wasn't taught to, and it just makes it more of a rush when the lights go green. I just slip it into first as I stop.

I think that must be the way they taught people to do it ages ago, because he still does it in his car. If he comments again, I'll make him sit in the back! :p:
Reply 9
Yeah I slip it into first when I stop. Handbrake if needed.
My old instuctor used to tell me to take it out of gear I prefer the other way though, saves all that flpping around when the lights change.
Oh god I am so glad I'm not alone. I perfer to be keeping it in first gear then taking it out of gear it's so much easier to find where bitin point. Um well should be soon, eurgh I do hate how the clutch is so different between my car and my what I learnt in to be honnest. But then again my instructor car was impossible to see out off =/
Ahhh my test is on tuesday. I'm not nervous yet.... I have 2 hour lesson on sunday. I'm pretty sure I'll fail but I really don't want to :frown: I'm just too hesitant at roundabouts and then make silly mistakes with them. Help!
I've got my theory test on the 30th! Absolutely SCARED... had 5 lessons in the summer, was hurrendous, but desperately looking for a job to learn to drive again .
Reply 13
7 lessons and ready for the test :smile:
Had a mock test with my instructor today. He judged it as a fail (15 minor, one major). I'm actually quite happy as I expected to fail, but I know where to focus. Apparently I was doing really well until halfway where I arsed up the second manoeuvre, and confidence dipped.
Need to book my test now. I hate spending money.

Ooh, also, my instructor's getting a new car! Brand new Clio. Pleased with this, glad to be in a brand new car instead of the older one, and with enough time to get used to it before the test.
PhoenixFortune
Whenever my dad is in my car with me and I stop at traffic lights, he says I should do that ^ too, but I wasn't taught to, and it just makes it more of a rush when the lights go green. I just slip it into first as I stop.

I think that must be the way they taught people to do it ages ago, because he still does it in his car. If he comments again, I'll make him sit in the back! :p:

I think it's better for the clutch to take it out of gear especially if you're at the lights for an age, which might be why your dad grumbles. That said, it's also something that comes with experience. I drive my boyfriend's car leaving it in first, he's been driving for six years and he takes it out of gear. He's fine with me doing it my way, because he knows it's easier while I'm still learning.

I intend to get into doing blokey's way when I'm a better driver with faster reactions, but for now it's fine.
dogtanian
I think it's better for the clutch to take it out of gear especially if you're at the lights for an age, which might be why your dad grumbles. That said, it's also something that comes with experience. I drive my boyfriend's car leaving it in first, he's been driving for six years and he takes it out of gear. He's fine with me doing it my way, because he knows it's easier while I'm still learning.

I intend to get into doing blokey's way when I'm a better driver with faster reactions, but for now it's fine.

If I am waiting a long time I do, but my dad wants me to do it even if I'm only waiting for a few seconds! It just makes the pulling away process a lot longer and more uncomfortable.

Also, I don't find the bite and wait with it like that, I keep it down until I'm about to go.
I know what you mean. For now I'm happy with first.

I'm so glad that blokey is patient with me when he supervises my driving. Unless I'm about to kill us both, he leaves me to decide.
Reply 18
Stick it how you want when your learning.

You will find when you pass you will start to stick it in neutral as you get quicker at lights, and it hurts after if you keep sticking your foot down!
I've got my test booked again and I'm currently doing Lessons. I failed Twice last year and I stopped for a while because of money. This is the last time I'm trying till Uni as I can't spend any more money on it. If I fail I'll be so pissed off.

Latest

Trending

Trending