The Student Room Group

Horse lice

I've just diagnosed the horses I care for with lice. The owner is away for a few weeks, so it's up to me to take care of the problem. So far I've only looked at the 6 ponies (mostly shetlands) and I've separated them from the other 5 horses (including 3 shire horses, a thoroughbred and an arab). They all live outside in a field. The owner isn't very rich, so I have to be careful with how much I spend on the treatment. What do you recommend? I've been told louse powder is good. It would be convenient because most of the horses are scared of water (so shampoo = bruises and broken toes) and the shetland have thick hair (so sprays = long long long long long time spent, lot wasted.). How much should I buy? is 5kg enough for the lot, or will I need more? less (pwease less T_T).
I'm assuming I'm going to have to treat them again 2 weeks later. Will I need another 5kg?
They share their field with 3 cows, a llama (no way in hell am I touching the llama), a donkey and about 20 sheep. I'll probably have to treat the donkey too, but what about the others? Would keeping them seperated for two weeks be enough?

Oh, and should I buy the treatment from a vet or a livery yard? I'm worried the vets would charge an excessive amount... :/
Reply 1
IM injection with Dectomax (Im a vet student, saw a case of mites on fri.) The other horses should be fine unless you shared grooming brushes etc
Reply 2
Hello,
Thought I may be able to help you here.
First of all, make absolutely sure it's lice. They commonly hang out under the mane & forelock, as well as all over the body in more severe cases.

Isolating the affected horse as you did, is the best thing to do. The lice will live in the horse's environment so disposing of the entire stable of bedding when you've finished treating would be a good idea. Wash everything (now and regularly throughout treatment) that belongs to the horse i.e. rugs, numnahs, grooming kit, headcollars, other tack. An infestation will take a good few weeks of treatment as you have to make sure all of the adult creepy crawlies have been killed off, so they don't lay eggs. Also need to treat the baby creepy crawlies that have just hatched so they don't lay eggs too. This breaks the cycle. Treat the horse at intervals and take the manufacturer's advice (if in doubt contact them).

Treatment wise, you can buy several products at your local tack shop. These products are usually permethrin-based. Look for Dermoline, Deosect or Switch. Additionally, lice infestations are far easier to treat of you clip the horse but beware, some people don't like clipping their horses. An advantage is that very soon the winter coats will be shed so this will help to get rid pf the problem. Groom the horse thoroughly a couple of times a day (if you can) this will help loads.
I wouldn't use the mites injection for treating lice. Although is it commonly used in horses, it only tends to be used for treating mites. It is not licensed for use in horses and because of this under the rules of the prescribing cascade, you have to use a product that is licensed 1. for use in horses AND 2. for treating lice. If there is no such product then using the mites injection would be ok - but you would have to sign a disclaimer type of form to authorise the vet to use it. The owner may not like you doing this on her behalf either.
It would be useful to investigate why the horse has developed this. Is it a sick horse? old? underlying disease? not groomed very often?
If you get stuck or it doesn't seem to be working, get the vet to have a look at the horse.
Hope this helps and keep me posted x
Reply 3
Sorry, forgot to add, in my experience louse powder isn't very good and 'switch' seems to be the best but can be intermittently difficult to get hold of.
Calling a vet is out of the question unless it's life threatening :frown: The owner hasn't called the vet since I started working there 3 years ago, and believe me they needed it frequently. I have to manage as best I can without one. I'm pretty sure it's lice. I managed to sellatape a few, and they looked like head lice, and you could see the eggs stuck to the hair. Doesn't switch just treat sweet itch? I can't imagine it working... Most likely cause of infestation would be lack of grooming. I only get to see them once a week, and I don't have time to bring in and groom all 11 of them, and that's if I can even catch them in the first place :/
i think your best chance is powder to be honest i mean are horses have had lice in the past and it spread through the stables. so your best chance is that if you cannot get a vet out but give him a call and get some advice.
I have to admit the powder seems like the best idea, but I have no idea how effective it is. Will it get the job done with 2 applications (in 2 week intervals)?
Reply 7
Switch won't specifically 'treat' sweet itch. Switch is a permethrin insecticide which will kill a range of bugs. There are now new and better ways to treat and manage sweet itch now instead of topical solutions. I guess that's another story.....
Treatment time for powder will depend on the degree of infestation.
couldn't you just twitch it and wash it... or is that "too irish" of me?
Reply 9
My old pony had lice in her mane once and the powder worked on that so I would try it.

Also pig oil and sulpher - I am currently using it on my coloured cob who has mites and it is good for feathered horses as it stops anything wanting to live in your horses feathers ! It is also effective against mud fever.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-Litres-Pig-Oil-and-Sulphur-Powder-shire-horses-clyde-/280468155617
Reply 10
i would call the owner and ask what they would like done - i know when i leave my horse with someone and something like this happens when there are many options/costs etc i like to be asked -
bc sometimes i would rathe put up more money if it is going to be the best thing... because if you buy powders etc and they arent that affective - you hav to spend more and mre money to gety rid of the problem...
i would contact the owner

Latest