The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
maths is a good solid 3rd science. maybe it's not that relevant to medicine but it's fun (haha)
You don't need it. You only need Chem and Bio. You're fine, best of luck. In fact, my interviewers have said they were happy I do History and English and well as Chem and Bio.
els1398
hiya. i'm about to begin sixth form next week and i'm doing a-levels in english language, biology, chemistry and modern history. i'd really love to do medicine at university but i'm worried that they'd choose a candidate with an a-level in maths rather than english language. how much is this true? i really do not wanna do maths.. it's boring and too difficult! i'd really appreciate it if you could help me out :smile:

NO MATHS REQUIRED. I did v similar AS levels to you.
Reply 23
no you blatently don't. everyone knows that. theres more maths in biomedical sciences than medicine
Reply 24
I gave up maths as soon as I could, true, stats and stuff requires a bit more extra effort, but nothing you wouldn't be able to cope with.
Ignoramus
It's entirely possible not to have maths but be prepared to take good subjects to replace it as most candidates for medicine will have Maths.

Maybe they do, but it doesn't mean they'll get in because they have maths.
iRaachX
I had it drummed into me before Sixth Form (by teachers, parents, even someone whos son is a doctor lol..) that "If you want to do medicine you need maths",

Yes, in ye olde days. My mum thought I needed maths...she still thinks you need maths to do Medicine. :smile:
i think the unequivocal answer is no and there is no need for 2 pages on this topic
No Future
Maybe they do, but it doesn't mean they'll get in because they have maths.

That is also true. :biggrin: The OP's choice of subjects are indeed fine (and admissions tutors would probably be happy that they are doing something different).
Lemon may have promised not to be mean but I have not.

First thing I shall ask is that "but use the sodding search function first" be added to the end of the thread title in massive flashing multicoloured letters.
Reply 30
terpineol
Lemon may have promised not to be mean but I have not.

First thing I shall ask is that "but use the sodding search function first" be added to the end of the thread title in massive flashing multicoloured letters.

And check the FAQ section out.
Reply 31
OK, I've got a question, I'm saving the thread :biggrin:

For the interview, you might need to know about current NHS issues/NHS in the news. To what extent do you need to know about NHS history or medical history?
Reply 32
[noparse] DO I NEED TO DO MATHS ALEVEL IF I WANT TO GET INTO MEDICINE???? [/noparse]
crazylemon
Must...resist...temptation to be mean...promised...not to...

no you don't :smile:

She's been doing medicine for two years!
Reply 34
SausageTroll
She's been doing medicine for two years!

Have I?!! Why has noone informed me of this??!

Joke - I was asking a really commonly asked question so that hopefully if an applicant is thinking of asking it they will instead see it on the first page and the answer and not need to bother us with asking it again :smile:
Reply 35
Sorry for another question. I've just been on B'ham's site, and apparently there are only 332 places available in 2011. Does this mean that getting an interview no longer holds the 90% success rate?
as_94
Sorry for another question. I've just been on B'ham's site, and apparently there are only 332 places available in 2011. Does this mean that getting an interview no longer holds the 90% success rate?

why does having 332 places mean anything different?

it wasn't really 90% this year, there were more rejections than in previous years (or so it has seemed - i can't back it up with statistics).
Reply 37
John Locke
why does having 332 places mean anything different?

it wasn't really 90% this year, there were more rejections than in previous years (or so it has seemed - i can't back it up with statistics).

Because on the birmingham website it says they interview 900 applicants, and on this page it says that 90% of those interviewed receive offers. The only other thing I can think of is that many of those who receive offers tend to use it as insurance rather than their main choice
Reply 38
What is the best medical school? :colone:
Reply 39
1 Formula
What is the best medical school? :colone:

The one that is best for you. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest