The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

as_94
Because on the birmingham website it says they interview 900 applicants, and on this page it says that 90% of those interviewed receive offers. The only other thing I can think of is that many of those who receive offers tend to use it as insurance rather than their main choice

medical schools (and indeed universities in general) will make more offers than they eventually admit as students. the amount they over-offer by is guided by how many people will decline their offer, put them as an insurance and go to their firm and/or that will miss the grades entirely. birmingham will make more than 332 actual offers for the 2011/12 cycle.
as_94
Sorry for another question. I've just been on B'ham's site, and apparently there are only 332 places available in 2011. Does this mean that getting an interview no longer holds the 90% success rate?

It probably doesn't hold a 90% success rate, no. But don't forget that the amount of offers that a uni gives is much greater than the number of places available, this means that there will still be a fairly high "success" rate.

Edit: John's explanation is just as good
Reply 42
ah ok, thanks very much guys :smile:
Reply 43
as_94
OK, I've got a question, I'm saving the thread :biggrin:

For the interview, you might need to know about current NHS issues/NHS in the news. To what extent do you need to know about NHS history or medical history?

:hello:

It's not something that I would spend too much time on, either you know it or you don't. I would recommend learning why the NHS was created (got some nods from the interviewer for that), internal competetion/market forces, foundation trusts, some newer initiatives like "super" GPs. Also, read up on NICE as it ties with ethics and the Euro Time Directive. :top:
Reply 44
Right, I've cleared this thread out *again* and don't want to have to keep doing this so please quit it with the spam or I'll have to start handing out warnings which I really don't want to have to do.
Reply 45
crazylemon
Imperial clearly.

No doubt about it.
1 Formula
No doubt about it.

Your firm and insurance have the same grade offer...?
Reply 47
digitalis

Yeah I did that because I heard that Birmingham may take you if you miss gettin the A by a couple of UMS. So I just stuck it in, just in case :wink:
1 Formula
Yeah I did that because I heard that Birmingham may take you if you miss gettin the A by a couple of UMS. So I just stuck it in, just in case :wink:

Hmm, I would have thought that only applied if you were their firm choice. But meh, could be wrong.
Reply 49
digitalis
Hmm, I would have thought that only applied if you were their firm choice. But meh, could be wrong.

Hopefully it wont matter anyway :smile: Also I have seen other people on TSR who have firmed a lower offer (AAB) and insured an AAA....now I don't get the logic of that ( if they are doing three A2 subjects) :lolwut:
Reply 50
1 Formula
Hopefully it wont matter anyway :smile: Also I have seen other people on TSR who have firmed a lower offer (AAB) and insured an AAA....now that is stupid lol

Why, exactly? You're not losing anything by firming them rather than turning them down.

Also lots of people are doing four subject these days. My Glasgow offer (AAB) includes chemistry. My Durham offer (AAA) includes one of chemistry or biology. If I got AAAC with C in chemistry then Glasgow would not accept me but Durham would.

Which makes a helluva lot more sense than firming a University of the same offer, that birmingham taking people if they drop a few marks only applies if you're firm.
Reply 51
lekky
Why, exactly? You're not losing anything by firming them rather than turning them down.

Also lots of people are doing four subject these days. My Glasgow offer (AAB) includes chemistry. My Durham offer (AAA) includes one of chemistry or biology. If I got AAAC with C in chemistry then Glasgow would not accept me but Durham would.

Which makes a helluva lot more sense than firming a University of the same offer, that birmingham taking people if they drop a few marks only applies if you're firm.

Oh right the people that I was referring to, were taking 3 subjects, mistake on my part there shoulda specified that...er you got something against Birmingham, capitalising university instead of Birmingham...:rolleyes:
Reply 52
1 Formula
Oh right the people that I was referring to, were taking 3 subjects, mistake on my part there shoulda specified that...er you got something against Birmingham, capitalising university instead of Birmingham...:rolleyes:

Have you got something against using commas properly?

Screw off, this isn't H&R, we don't pick apart people's grammar.
Reply 53
lekky
Have you got something against using commas properly?

Screw off, this isn't H&R, we don't pick apart people's grammar.

:rofl: you need to chill the **** out....

p.s. yeah i hate commas
digitalis

Mine were as well. In fact all my offers were, but I thought I might as well make one of them my insurance as it gave me another avenue to go begging come results day! :p:
as_94
Sorry for another question. I've just been on B'ham's site, and apparently there are only 332 places available in 2011. Does this mean that getting an interview no longer holds the 90% success rate?

I never see the point of those stats, the percentage is never 100 so you always have to try at interview, how likely it is that you will be successful shouldn't matter.
Reply 56
If you do not have Chemistry A level or AS level, what other routes are there into getting into doing a medicine degree.
What the hell, I just answered that chem question in loads of detail and it's disappeared because it got moved. Bring it back, that took me a good 2 minutes to write :rant:
Reply 58
digitalis

My insurance (UCL) has higher grades than my firm (Aberdeen)!
KMan1
If you do not have Chemistry A level or AS level, what other routes are there into getting into doing a medicine degree.

One root involves using the search function, this gets asked a lot.

Do you have 2 science A levels? If not, is it too late for you to pick up chemistry AS level? Because if you do then you can take the standard route into some med schools. Otherwise, there are 6 year medical programmes with a foundation course for people without enough science A levels.

You can always do a different degree (Biochemistry is a popular one), get a 2:i and apply for a graduate entry programme, but this route is arguably more competitive than entry for school leavers, and it takes at least 3 years longer.

Not much detail here, but a few minutes googling or searching TSR will help you flesh it out.

Quick Reply