The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
if you're an international student, out of the insurance students you'll have priority xx
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 101
Crystal Ho HK
i really need to stay on campus since im intl student and it will be harder for me to live outside etc. :s:s

what are the chances???

Why would it be harder for you?
Reply 102
they dont know anyone in the country, or the area, or anything about the place, its more of an atmo to settle into and also they'll be moving back and forth from their 'mother country'
xxx
Reply 103
I got founders for my final year, west side the best side again.
cheap prices, best halls, turret room, im living the dream
Reply 104
Koenig
I got founders for my final year, west side the best side again.
cheap prices, best halls, turret room, im living the dream

:eek: You can reapply for third year?

That sounds SO amazing, I visited a turret room and I was in love, it's just so beautiful! This has to be the only Uni that I know with an Eastside vs Westside.

Congrats :biggrin:

If you would, could you please answer the following questions?
.... Are the bed frames in founders really crappy/creaky?
Is food theft really bad?
Is the food that terrible?

Reply 105
grape:)

If you would, could you please answer the following questions?
.... Are the bed frames in founders really crappy/creaky?
Is food theft really bad?
Is the food that terrible?

Q 1 ) yes i'll answer some questions
Q 2 ) depends what room you get, some have the old original furniture in but if you ask for a change they will buy you brand new furniture free of charge. I had the old and it wasnt crappy, just a standard single bed frame. Although i had a friend who had a metal one (mine was wooden) what was a bit squeaky, he changed it.
Q 3 ) the food theft was bad when i was there, but depends what you leave in the fridge to be honest. milk is normally safe and on girls floors its normally better. i didnt keep much in the fridge as i dont drink milk and tins etc was in my room.
Q 4 ) the dining room food is not bad at all, its cheap and you dont have to wash up. I was eating meals of chips, meat and veg for under £2. and the portions are large. anyone who say its crap just chose the wrong thing.
Reply 106
Koenig
Q 1 ) yes i'll answer some questions
Q 2 ) depends what room you get, some have the old original furniture in but if you ask for a change they will buy you brand new furniture free of charge. I had the old and it wasnt crappy, just a standard single bed frame. Although i had a friend who had a metal one (mine was wooden) what was a bit squeaky, he changed it.
Q 3 ) the food theft was bad when i was there, but depends what you leave in the fridge to be honest. milk is normally safe and on girls floors its normally better. i didnt keep much in the fridge as i dont drink milk and tins etc was in my room.
Q 4 ) the dining room food is not bad at all, its cheap and you dont have to wash up. I was eating meals of chips, meat and veg for under £2. and the portions are large. anyone who say its crap just chose the wrong thing.

Thanks so much, especially for the bit in bold, so happy with your replies :smile: Congrats on the turret room also :p: x
Reply 107
5th floor turret rooms are literally in roof, i have my own little set of steps up to my turrent level where i can lay and play ps3 and waste my final year at uni
Reply 108
Koenig
5th floor turret rooms are literally in roof, i have my own little set of steps up to my turrent level where i can lay and play ps3 and waste my final year at uni

I seen one! I went in the room, and you have a little circle area for your bed with tiny little windows!:p:
Reply 109
I seen one! I went in the room, and you have a little circle area for your bed with tiny little windows!:p:

haha yeah, everyroom in founders is different its amazing

are you a hollowegian?
Reply 110
Koenig
haha yeah, everyroom in founders is different its amazing

are you a hollowegian?

Hollowegian?
Reply 111
Hollowegian?

Hollowegian: Royal holloway student or graduate
Reply 112
gm15
Hollowegian: Royal holloway student or graduate

Nooooo I just hold a deferred conditional offer, :p:
Reply 113
mgriff16
Hey all, I was accepted as a study abroad student at Royal Holloway for next year and am really eager to get to campus and throw myself into things.

As it is, I have been trying to get the most amount of information about RHUL before I come so I can know what to expect and get acclimated more easily.

It seems that most people are saying that the newer residences are not nearly as positive experiences as living at some place like Founder's when you are rating the social experience.

One of my main hopes at RHUL was to come in, meet people and have a legitimate social life.

The thing is, the top new residences on campus seem like really great places to live and would fit my tastes more than the others mentioned. But if I cannot have a good social life by living in one of the newer residences I'd prefer not to live there.

Does anyone have any thought or insight on this?

Also, I was wondering what the policy is about guests staying overnight at Royal Holloway. By guests, I do not mean other Royal Holloway students. I mean individuals who are not apart of the RHUL community. I ask this because certain friends had hoped to visit me while in the UK.

Thanks!

If you want to have a good social life, you'll have a good social life, independent of where you live. It may be the case that some of the residences lend themselves more to being particularly sociable, whilst with others you might have to put more effort in, but the end result is the same. There's no reason why you can't live in one of the newer residences and still have a good time- it's just that there are more doors in between you and other people.
Reply 114
mgriff16
Blah Blah Blah

firstly, if you'd rather live in the newer halls then go for it. They are the better places to live. you have the perks of a kitchen, double bed, en suite bathroom.
all the halls are very socialable places, the only reason these new halls are seen as less is because its only 8 odd people per floor compared to the huge amount of 70+ in founders.

I lived in founders in my first year and am moving back there to finish my degree next year.

About your friends staying over, then its fine. You'll just have to share a bed or not what but i had and i know loads of people who had friends come to visit on more than one occasion.

grats on your place.
Reply 115
Does anyone know if we'll get an email or something when accommodation has been allocated? Or do we have to log into the website to find out?
Reply 116
Thanks koenig and llacerta for the replies.

I''m extremely keen on making good friends while abroad, and that mostly comes down to me. I also would love to be in one of the newer dorms because they seem really nice, and the scholarships i get from my school here will cover the costs.

I can't wait to be there in September.
mgriff16

Also, I was wondering what the policy is about guests staying overnight at Royal Holloway. By guests, I do not mean other Royal Holloway students. I mean individuals who are not apart of the RHUL community. I ask this because certain friends had hoped to visit me while in the UK.

Thanks!

The policy is that you are not allowed, but no one that I know has ever had any hassle with this. Security/the College have got much better things to do! It would only be an issue if your guests were causing your neighbours grief, in which case they would be entitled to complain and you would get into trouble. The odd visitor is completely fine though.
dmoorcroft
They're wetrooms too. The wetroom style is actually really good as its easy to keep clean!

They're not, they're really bloody irritating! The water from the shower goes all over the floor which results in the residue from the shampoo and shower gel drying on the floor. All they need to do to prevent this is to put a divider between the shower bit and the rest of the en-suite, maybe 2 or 3 inches tall.

Also, Hi, we live on the same floor in Wedderburn D I think.
Reply 119
llacerta
Does anyone know if we'll get an email or something when accommodation has been allocated? Or do we have to log into the website to find out?

If rhul is your first choice you will get an email around june ish
You had to pay a deposit as well right?

Latest

Trending

Trending