The Student Room Group

The "Am I Good Enough For Dentistry" Megathread

Scroll to see replies

jay110
Hey!
It was pretty much rejections from all of them.

I've given up with the UK and am now in the process of applying abroad. I'm sitting the entrance exam for Charles University in Prague pretty soon so fingers crossed.

Also applied to Government Medical College in India and also Comenius university in bratislava

Hey, I'm also sitting the entrance exam for Charles...finding it quite tough though since ive been on a gap year, ive forgotten most of it. Are you sitting it in London? If you want a revision buddy i'm here lol, ill do anything to make it less boring :P
Reply 81
--
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 82
hey i am sure universities like cardiff, leeds and kings would consider you?

jay110
Hey!!
Sure thing :smile: The more the merrier haha
Where are you based??
I'm actually taking the exam in London aswell :smile: They haven't confirmed the date yet.
Have you heard back from them?
Reply 83
--
(edited 13 years ago)
jay110
Hey!!
Sure thing :smile: The more the merrier haha
Where are you based??
I'm actually taking the exam in London aswell :smile: They haven't confirmed the date yet.
Have you heard back from them?

Well the exam is on 29th May and they have some (expensive) revision sessions too on the 15&16th. Did you apply through M&D Europe? I'm taking it in London too. Live about an hour away so its not too bad. How about you?
Reply 85
I dont really see a problem that others do with GCSEs, A-levels are sound
Maybe a bit more work experience and yeah just keep up the volunteering and jobs a good un! :smile:
Where does he want to apply do you know?
have i a chance in getting into dentistry

GCSE's - 3A*s 8A's in double science , maths A's in geog, english lang, lit, urdu, 4A's in btec health and social care

Extra curricular Reading arabic course, football, cricket, weightlifting, maybe doing extended project

Work experience 1 month pharmacy , 1 week at dental practice and 1 week in elderly care ward in hospital
Rudeboy999
have i a chance in getting into dentistry

GCSE's - 3A*s 8A's in double science , maths A's in geog, english lang, lit, urdu, 4A's in btec health and social care

Extra curricular Reading arabic course, football, cricket, weightlifting, maybe doing extended project

Work experience 1 month pharmacy , 1 week at dental practice and 1 week in elderly care ward in hospital

No, don't be silly. Not with them sh itty GCSE results. AND A BTEC. ARGHHHHH.
Reply 88
Do you have a chance? GCSE grades wise .... yes.
You might want to get a bit more dental work experience.
Reply 89
jay110
I have a few friends at the universities mentioned...They confirmed I will get a BDS and will not need to do the ORE! :smile:

The only problem is the sheer cost and the fact its a 6 year course!!

What! GDC said ORE is required + 2 years training ?
Reply 90
GDC said to me ORE is necessary.
Reply 91
--
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 92
Yeh you do, you will need more w/e though :smile:
Reply 93
I wouldnt apply to kings as they like alot of A*'s at GCSE but the other unis should be fine - they ask for B's as minimum. Id get more w/e done and you will need high ukcat for QM :smile:
Reply 94
Yeah, it would be good as it involves teamwork and helping in the community.
Reply 95
Please tell me that you are joking! Either that or you have parents like mine who considered a B a complete fail.
Reply 96
To your original question yes you stand a good chance. You are an over thinker.
Reply 97
From the looks of it you have a very good chance. Most uni's apart from Oxford and Cambridge dont care about retakes, more about the end results!
The voluntary work makes you a very good candidate as well, uni's love all the experience stuff!

Afraid I'm not too sure on the dentristy schools though :frown: But I'm certain if you attain those A level grades you have a very good head start, I wouldn't worry about the B's at GCSE.
Reply 98
Abbasmerali
My careers teacher says I'm pushing it and good unis like Birmingham rarely take anybody to interview with below 7A*s, I've always suspected he's exaggerating but the majority of my friends have done exceptionally well with 8/9/10 A*s or more in some crazy cases. My parents are crazy about grades too but that's not an issue :smile:.

That's because Birmingham are the fussiest about grades :smile: They did interview ppl with less than 7A*s this year btw

But your GCSEs are great :smile: check the entrance requirements for the unis you're thinking of applying to, I made a long list of mine before I applied.

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 99
Abbasmerali
Cheers, I guess I just need to know which of the Unis I should aim for, there are only like 13 in England arent there?

13 in the UK so if you work out whether you'd be willing to study in eg. Ireland, Scotland, England or Wales distance wise (if you care about that) you can cross a few off your list..the entry requirements are probably gonna change soon cos of the introduction of the A* (Bham has gone up to AAA now)

Quick Reply

Latest