The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

victor_b1992
thanks man.

one last question, what accommodation Auther vic, or jack martin would be closer to the engineering lectures and by what difference.

sorry:smile:

and is Auther vic worth the extra money or not because i heard that it not much different at all the jack martin.

They're about the same distance away. JM1 is closer to your lectures than AV2, but AV1 is closer than JM3.

I'd choose Jack Martin (I actually did) as the social side is regarded as being better with JM than AV (when taken on the whole, there are exceptions).

Main differences between AV and JM: kitchens are larger in JM, but AV gets a lounge in addition to the kitchen so the total communal space is twice as big as JM. Launderette inside the building with AV whereas with JM you have to go outside.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 81
Are iPlayer/Spotify etc. allowed to be used with your connection in the halls? Is the internet fast enough for them? Thanks!
Greg.
Are iPlayer/Spotify etc. allowed to be used with your connection in the halls? Is the internet fast enough for them? Thanks!

Allowed yes, fast enough.. usually :yep:
Reply 83
secretmessages
Allowed yes, fast enough.. usually :yep:

Thank you! :biggrin:
Greg.
Thank you! :biggrin:

*May I add that 'usually' for iPlayer means the lowest quality 796kbps (bear in mind Resnet is 2048kbps maximum), not during the hours of 7pm and midnight during term time and Sundays are awful. It's noticeably faster after 2 or 3 am though. Top tip: download in advance if you don't want intermittent playback and use an alternate DNS server.

Spotify works fine the majority of the time though.
Reply 85
TheTallOne
*May I add that 'usually' for iPlayer means the lowest quality 796kbps (bear in mind Resnet is 2048kbps maximum), not during the hours of 7pm and midnight during term time and Sundays are awful. It's noticeably faster after 2 or 3 am though. Top tip: download in advance if you don't want intermittent playback and use an alternate DNS server.

Spotify works fine the majority of the time though.

Ah ok. I would have thought Warwick would be all high speed internet with it's science-cy reputation. :frown:

Ah well, at home I'm on a speed that varies between about 1500 and 2000kbps, so it shouldn't be too different. :biggrin:

If iPlayer doesn't work I'll just try and 'obtain' TV shows another way, but not through P2P of course :smile:
Greg.
Ah ok. I would have thought Warwick would be all high speed internet with it's science-cy reputation. :frown:

Ah well, at home I'm on a speed that varies between about 1500 and 2000kbps, so it shouldn't be too different. :biggrin:

If iPlayer doesn't work I'll just try and 'obtain' TV shows another way, not P2P of course :smile:

Yeah, the speed at peak periods goes down to as low as 256kbps on very busy nights where there's nothing on at the SU or elsewhere and no one has gone home (ie some Sundays).

Resnet is awful. Speeds at the library/maths dept/cs are very nice - bringing a pair of headphones is advised.

Keep your eyes and ears peeled over the first few weeks for something that will suit your needs perfectly. Remember not twoforget this advice.
Reply 87
I hate the halls internet, it's so bad. I've taken to watching TV during the day and doing my work in the evenings just so I don't have to do battle with everyone else trying to use it! Of course, it's fine at the moment cos nobody's here, but in a week it'll be back to normal.
TheTallOne
Yeah, the speed at peak periods goes down to as low as 256kbps on very busy nights where there's nothing on at the SU or elsewhere and no one has gone home (ie some Sundays)..

That's being generous. I'm only at about double of dial-up speeds in the evenings. It's an utter joke.

For anyone who cares, despite there being notices up saying that P2P apps aren't allowed and that if caught using them repeatedly you'll be disconnected, feel free to torrent and use whatever else when the internet is quick enough. Four people, including myself, have used them all year and not had any issues.
Reply 89
Does every hall have a reception where you have to constantly sign people in and out, or can guests/visitors come and go without any bureaucratic measures?
Reply 90
Where is the best place to stay? I'm an international student so it's already pretty expensive to go to Warwick and I'm looking to minimize the costs as much as possible - so I guess I'm really looking for the cheapest place for my first year.

Although, if it's an absolutely horrid place, the second-cheapest wouldn't be too bad :P I'll be studying Economics, Politics and International Relations and will most likely attend lectures similar to those things.
Reply 91
bxvgears
Does every hall have a reception where you have to constantly sign people in and out, or can guests/visitors come and go without any bureaucratic measures?

Nope. They can come and go. If you have a guest you're supposed to let your tutor know but it's really quite relaxed. I've only told my tutor about one friend I had come to stay for a weekend. My boyfriend stays over like all the time and I never bother to tell them and they don't care/haven't noticed.

IamaGuest
Where is the best place to stay? I'm an international student so it's already pretty expensive to go to Warwick and I'm looking to minimize the costs as much as possible - so I guess I'm really looking for the cheapest place for my first year.

Although, if it's an absolutely horrid place, the second-cheapest wouldn't be too bad :P I'll be studying Economics, Politics and International Relations and will most likely attend lectures similar to those things.

Cryfields is cheapest but is a 30 week let. Westwood is also cheap. Neither are lovely aesthetically but if you get put with a good bunch of people then you'll have an awesome time anyway.
Reply 92
georgia
Nope. They can come and go. If you have a guest you're supposed to let your tutor know but it's really quite relaxed. I've only told my tutor about one friend I had come to stay for a weekend. My boyfriend stays over like all the time and I never bother to tell them and they don't care/haven't noticed.

and that goes for all halls, or just the one you're staying in?
Reply 93
bxvgears
and that goes for all halls, or just the one you're staying in?

To my knowledge, all halls. I have friends who are in other halls and they've had guests no problem at all. The only thing you have to be really up on is parking, but that's not a big deal - just get a pass from the Security people and it's fine.

You're an adult. As long as you behave like one, they treat you like one. Just don't take the piss and they won't bat an eyelid.
Reply 94
victor_b1992
does anyone no what dc++ is and do they have this at warwick

There are people at Warwick who know what this is. Don't twoforget.

*blatently stolen
Whatever you have stolen estel, I think it is Wong and you shouldn't do it.

IamaGuest

Check out the accommodation thread in my signature/stickied at the top of the Warwick forum. It contains a list of accommodation listed by prices. But the cheapest are Cryfield, Whitefields, shared Benefactors (but that's not guaranteed and you could end up with a single).
Reply 96
TheTallOne
Whatever you have stolen estel, I think it is Wong and you shouldn't do it.

OMG HAHAHAHAHA I see what you did there :awesome:

:colonhash:
Reply 97
Should I firm Warwick? :holmes:

[edit] Firmed :awesome:
Reply 98
What are the Warwick hoodies like? Anyone care to put a picture up here. On the SU page I can only find the residence hoodies , but the link for the general hoodies does not work
bxvgears
What are the Warwick hoodies like? Anyone care to put a picture up here. On the SU page I can only find the residence hoodies , but the link for the general hoodies does not work

There's a discrete small logo one: 1 and 2

and there's the massive text one: 3

Available in many colours from Warwick Books.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending