The Student Room Group

Presentation Criteria for a Visual Arts Extended Essay

I'm doing a Visual Arts EE.

I know in the marking criteria there is a "Presentation" criteria, where it states that to get the maximum mark (a 4, I think?) it needs to be "excellent". For other subjects, I'm pretty sure it just means that you have all the required sections/references, ie. Title page, abstract, bibliography, etc, as well as it being neat and logical. But in the art criterion (and since art is about aesthetics), it also suggests that a little more care in the presentation should be taken as well. What exactly does this mean?

Do I need to make a greater effort in making it look good? I have skills in graphic design, so that is no problem for me (if it needs to be done), but the thing I'm worried about is that this is a formal piece of scholarship. Would making it visually appealing (like to almost a well designed brochure, magazine, commercial design, etc. standard), as opposed to just a plain Times New Roman document, be detracting from the seriousness of the extended essay? Also, how appropriate is it to place a picture on the title page?

Last question... Is there a specific citation style that art essays need to use, eg. MLA, APA, Chicago, etc? Because I remember reading something about art essays having to use this one style.

Thanks so much!
missbrokensmile
I'm doing a Visual Arts EE.

I know in the marking criteria there is a "Presentation" criteria, where it states that to get the maximum mark (a 4, I think?) it needs to be "excellent". For other subjects, I'm pretty sure it just means that you have all the required sections/references, ie. Title page, abstract, bibliography, etc, as well as it being neat and logical. But in the art criterion (and since art is about aesthetics), it also suggests that a little more care in the presentation should be taken as well. What exactly does this mean?

Do I need to make a greater effort in making it look good? I have skills in graphic design, so that is no problem for me (if it needs to be done), but the thing I'm worried about is that this is a formal piece of scholarship. Would making it visually appealing (like to almost a well designed brochure, magazine, commercial design, etc. standard), as opposed to just a plain Times New Roman document, be detracting from the seriousness of the extended essay? Also, how appropriate is it to place a picture on the title page?

Last question... Is there a specific citation style that art essays need to use, eg. MLA, APA, Chicago, etc? Because I remember reading something about art essays having to use this one style.

Thanks so much!

Although I know very little about VA EEs, I would think they meant the use of pictures, e.g. you are writing about visual arts, perhaps even analysing it. Perhaps they mean to include important works that you are writing about? (don't forget to reference these)

I think it would be ridiculous to format the essay itself though, perhaps consider just 'justify'ing the essay (go to paragraph format); it's usually the format used for fancy essays :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending