The Student Room Group

Student Finance P60 problems.

I completed my application over a month ago, and sent the two pieces of evidence from my mum which they requested (P60 and Decree Absolute) but since then I hadn't heard anything from them.

So we logged into mums account earlier and it said it still needed evidence from her to process the account. However, it also said it had the P60 and Decree..

So we rang them up, and they told us that the tax number on her P60 was wrong, or different, and they needed more evidence. Either through another P60 (because she did have another job that tax year, but only for a few months) or through other means (not sure what; they weren't very helpful, maybe beause it's a sunday!?). We found the P60 from the other job but the tax code on that one still has L M1, which I assume, is the wrong one, since it's a temp code (according to the internet). We also have the pay slips from the year, and month 12 (which you can send off as evidence) also has L M1!

I'm very confused.
Has anyone had this issue, or knows what I can do about it!? I'm annoyed that its been a month since I sent my application off, and the processing hasn't even started it (I heard it takes 6 weeks to process!).

Thanks.
Disconfigured
I completed my application over a month ago, and sent the two pieces of evidence from my mum which they requested (P60 and Decree Absolute) but since then I hadn't heard anything from them.

So we logged into mums account earlier and it said it still needed evidence from her to process the account. However, it also said it had the P60 and Decree..

So we rang them up, and they told us that the tax number on her P60 was wrong, or different, and they needed more evidence. Either through another P60 (because she did have another job that tax year, but only for a few months) or through other means (not sure what; they weren't very helpful, maybe beause it's a sunday!?). We found the P60 from the other job but the tax code on that one still has L M1, which I assume, is the wrong one, since it's a temp code (according to the internet). We also have the pay slips from the year, and month 12 (which you can send off as evidence) also has L M1!

I'm very confused.
Has anyone had this issue, or knows what I can do about it!? I'm annoyed that its been a month since I sent my application off, and the processing hasn't even started it (I heard it takes 6 weeks to process!).

Thanks.

Are you sure that it's the tax code that's the problem here, and not something else - perhaps the National insurance number? A code ending in "L M1" *is* a 'temporary' code of sorts (the "M1" part turns off the usual cumulative nature of the 'Pay As You Earn' system used to collect tax from employment income) and can often be updated by contacting your tax office. However, I'm not immediately sure why this code (which just communicates information about the level of tax-free 'personal allowance' to be applied in calculating Income Tax deductions) would be particularly relevant in the assessment of your application.
Reply 2
Illusionary
Are you sure that it's the tax code that's the problem here, and not something else - perhaps the National insurance number? A code ending in "L M1" *is* a 'temporary' code of sorts (the "M1" part turns off the usual cumulative nature of the 'Pay As You Earn' system used to collect tax from employment income) and can often be updated by contacting your tax office. However, I'm not immediately sure why this code (which just communicates information about the level of tax-free 'personal allowance' to be applied in calculating Income Tax deductions) would be particularly relevant in the assessment of your application.

I'm sure, we rang student finance twice (the first woman, who I spoke to (pretending to my mum) was short and not very nice to me, and didn't really give me the information I needed. So mum rang herself, and the second woman confirmed that they need more evidence about her tax details due to the tax code. I'm assuming if we send in her other P60 (we didn't realise she had two!) then it would be okay; however the code on that is also L M1, the woman on the phone said a P45 would also be acceptable, but we can't find that. The woman on the phone also said that we have to contact our local tax person to get them to tell us why the tax code is different and ask them to send us an updated one to send off.. or something like that, like I previously said, they didn't seem very happy at student finance this afternoon.
Disconfigured
I'm sure, we rang student finance twice (the first woman, who I spoke to (pretending to my mum) was short and not very nice to me, and didn't really give me the information I needed. So mum rang herself, and the second woman confirmed that they need more evidence about her tax details due to the tax code. I'm assuming if we send in her other P60 (we didn't realise she had two!) then it would be okay; however the code on that is also L M1, the woman on the phone said a P45 would also be acceptable, but we can't find that. The woman on the phone also said that we have to contact our local tax person to get them to tell us why the tax code is different and ask them to send us an updated one to send off.. or something like that, like I previously said, they didn't seem very happy at student finance this afternoon.

What's the full tax code on each P60? "L M1" is only a suffix - the full code should have a number as well, for example "647L M1". Your mum will only have a P45 from that tax year if she left a job during the year, so you're probably looking at needing to submit the other P60 rather than a P45.
Reply 4
Illusionary
What's the full tax code on each P60? "L M1" is only a suffix - the full code should have a number as well, for example "647L M1". Your mum will only have a P45 from that tax year if she left a job during the year, so you're probably looking at needing to submit the other P60 rather than a P45.

We don't know the full tax code on the P60 she already sent off, and the other one is 647L M1.
She did leave a job during the year. And her job at the moment have recently changed hands and been in administration, so the tax there has gone wrong.. so the monthly pay slips also have M1 on them, so we can't send month 12 (like student finance say online you can).
Disconfigured
We don't know the full tax code on the P60 she already sent off, and the other one is 647L M1.
She did leave a job during the year. And her job at the moment have recently changed hands and been in administration, so the tax there has gone wrong.. so the monthly pay slips also have M1 on them, so we can't send month 12 (like student finance say online you can).

I'm not sure exactly what relevance the tax code has on your application. My only thought is that the tax code suggested that your mother may have had another job during the year, and as SFE didn't have information about this they queried it further.

You're probably best off trying to speak to SFE again and confirming exactly what evidence they need, along with the reason why the non-cumulative tax code is a problem. Mention that the other P60 also has a non-cumulative code and see what they suggest.
Reply 6
Illusionary
I'm not sure exactly what relevance the tax code has on your application. My only thought is that the tax code suggested that your mother may have had another job during the year, and as SFE didn't have information about this they queried it further.

You're probably best off trying to speak to SFE again and confirming exactly what evidence they need, along with the reason why the non-cumulative tax code is a problem. Mention that the other P60 also has a non-cumulative code and see what they suggest.

Okay, will do, thankyou. (:

Latest