The Student Room Group

2011 Entry- Hopeful Medic Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Tbf Imperial > UCL. Everyone apply there. Oxford too. UCL and Cambridge suck...
Reply 1101
gildartz
well if I don't get into a well-known uni then my parents will force me to change my surname so as to avoid bringing shame to the family, not to mention being beaten and deported out of the country on a donkey. Ah the pressures....

You too!? I thought I was the only one. :sad:
J DOT A
does anyone still have any doubts about choosing medicine?
short question:biggrin:

Yes. But that's because I can see myself doing a whole host of things, and still being happy. Right now, I'm flickering between becoming a writer and medicine. :woo:
spacepirate-James
Yes. But that's because I can see myself doing a whole host of things, and still being happy. Right now, I'm flickering between becoming a writer and medicine. :woo:

EDIT: I'm bored, so here are some medical-related-poems :smile:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

well if you really want to go into both careers then possibly consider doing an english degree then going for graduate entry medicine if you don't think it's right for you, I know a current 5th year student at Georges who did that.
gildartz
well if I don't get into a well-known uni then my parents will force me to change my surname so as to avoid bringing shame to the family, not to mention being beaten and deported out of the country on a donkey. Ah the pressures....

lulz, well known uni you say? what do you mean?
clad in armour

unis which are so well-known that people in remote villages in asia who can't even speak english will be impressed when my typical asian parents brag about their children's achievements.

Spoiler

clad in armour

Like your sig :yep:

"I can imagine they're saying 'I remember when this was all banks...'"

:ninja:
gildartz
unis which are so well-known that people in remote villages in asia who can't even speak english will be impressed when my typical asian parents brag about their children's achievements.

Spoiler

:rofl: believe it or not, I know what you mean trust me :p:

felt_monkey
Like your sig

"I can imagine they're saying 'I remember when this was all banks...'"

lmao! im certain Ive heard that before!
Reply 1108
gildartz

My parents are being quite similar to this at the minute.. They really want me to apply to Edinburgh but I know I don't really stand a chance there! Gonna go for UCL, Kings, Aberdeen and Queen's Belfast I thinkkk.
I'm applying to

Glasgow
Aberdeen
Edinburgh
Dundee

In that order of preference. Dundee might be further up the list if it wasn't for the fact the city of Dundee is pretty repulsive.
keh92
My parents are being quite similar to this at the minute.. They really want me to apply to Edinburgh but I know I don't really stand a chance there! Gonna go for UCL, Kings, Aberdeen and Queen's Belfast I thinkkk.

UCL and Kings should satisfy their need for prestige
Hi
Does anyone know how Leeds, Leicester and Sheffield select people for interview. I know that Sheffield have a cut off for UKCAT and that Leicester use a banding system for the ukcat and apparently they look at other things such as the PS and you have to get 16/20 for interview.
But i dont know the exact details.

Thanks in advance.:smile:
Reply 1112
Hull york is the easiest medical school to get into. All of them hard, but hull york has the lowest number of applicants compared to other schools and also they are more non academic.

My friend got into hull york medical school with 1A* 5AS 4BS for GCSEs.

I wouldn't apply to like three BMATS unis or even TWO unless you're confident. Loads of clever people with like 8A*s in my college did crap in bmat and got rejected from BMAT unis.
Reply 1113
How can people know what medical schools there going to apply to, before they have even got there *AS results/*UKCAT results?

it's good to have an idea but do **** in one of the above and you have to rethink your whole application!
Still haven't finalised where to go yet, but so far it's between Peninsula, Newcastle, Leicester, St. Andrews, Glasgow, Brighton and Sussex, Southampton and Imperial. Because I've narrowed things down gud! :P
InItToWinItGetIt?
Hi
Does anyone know how Leeds, Leicester and Sheffield select people for interview. I know that Sheffield have a cut off for UKCAT and that Leicester use a banding system for the ukcat and apparently they look at other things such as the PS and you have to get 16/20 for interview.
But i dont know the exact details.

Thanks in advance.:smile:

Well for Leicester they have 4 sections which are all scored out of 5. PS, UKCAT, academics and reference. UKCAT is scored on the lowest subsection: lowest 700 = 5 points, 600= 4 points and so on. For this year atleast you needed 17/20 to get an interview not 16.
ItsNeverLupus
Well for Leicester they have 4 sections which are all scored out of 5. PS, UKCAT, academics and reference. UKCAT is scored on the lowest subsection: lowest 700 = 5 points, 600= 4 points and so on. For this year atleast you needed 17/20 to get an interview not 16.

great they increased the total score you need!
For ''academics'' is it mainly GCSEs or A-level predictions or do they both have equal weighting.
Also, do you know what exactly they mark the reference on (e.g. leadership shown/teamwork etc.) because every school must talk their students up.
J DOT A
How can people know what medical schools there going to apply to, before they have even got there *AS results/*UKCAT results?

it's good to have an idea but do **** in one of the above and you have to rethink your whole application!

I second what you have said. Lots of people from my school are saying they're going to apply here and there and yet have no idea of what the real entry requirements are. You have to keep all options open at this point in time.
InItToWinItGetIt?
great they increased the total score you need!
For ''academics'' is it mainly GCSEs or A-level predictions or do they both have equal weighting.
Also, do you know what exactly they mark the reference on (e.g. leadership shown/teamwork etc.) because every school must talk their students up.

I'm not entirely sure but from what I remember when applying this year it's a mixture of both GCSE's and predicted A level results. As for reference and PS
"In addition, applicants should possess those personal qualities which make a good doctor. These include empathy, good communication skills (speaking and listening) and a caring manner. The way in which you can discover whether you have these qualities, and so demonstrate them to the selectors, is by undertaking significant work experience in the caring professions. This could include voluntary or paid work in a hospital, a residential home or other caring environment. However, we recognise the difficulties faced by some candidates in arranging this type of activity and the lack of such experience does not mean that an application will automatically be rejected."

But check out http://www.le.ac.uk/sm/le/a100/a100_criteria.htm for more info. If you have any more questions feel free to ask:wink:
*international student* india

applying to....(i think!!)

BSMS
kings college london
oxford
east anglia

As-level.....
biology
chemistry
maths
economics

worried about the fees!!!