The Student Room Group

What's the One Thing they don't tell you to pack...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Just nick everything out of the bathroom cupboards at home....
(edited 9 years ago)
I've found my penknife comes in handy quite a lot, especially since it's got a corkscrew, can opener, bottle opener and toothpick on it as well as a knife.

Getting some sort of a container to collect change in is also a great idea, I have a 2ft plastic coke bottle and a cocktail shaker, you'd be surprised at how much builds up and it's great for raiding on laundry day.

A games console is a big plus, my new uni friends and I bonded over Xbox and PS3 :p:

A lighter - whether you smoke or not, there will come a time when you'll need to set fire to something.

I've found it really useful also to have two phone chargers (happened by accident, I got the same one with my new phone) and leave one at home and have one at uni, that way you don't need to think about it when going home/coming back and risking being stuck with a dead phone til someone can post it out to you.
Reply 62
This is such a good idea for a thread, however (despite this reply being very hypocritical) there is a very easy way of subscribing to threads!
getinthevan
I've found my penknife comes in handy quite a lot, especially since it's got a corkscrew, can opener, bottle opener and toothpick on it as well as a knife.

Getting some sort of a container to collect change in is also a great idea, I have a 2ft plastic coke bottle and a cocktail shaker, you'd be surprised at how much builds up and it's great for raiding on laundry day.

A games console is a big plus, my new uni friends and I bonded over Xbox and PS3 :p:

A lighter - whether you smoke or not, there will come a time when you'll need to set fire to something.

I've found it really useful also to have two phone chargers (happened by accident, I got the same one with my new phone) and leave one at home and have one at uni, that way you don't need to think about it when going home/coming back and risking being stuck with a dead phone til someone can post it out to you.

Like your rommates pubes?

EDIT: I have one of those fold-away multi-tools and although I'm not at uni it's one of the most useful pressies I've ever been given so I'd recommend to get/take one of those.
Reply 64
A key chain. You WILL lose your keys, they cost a fortune to replace, so fasten them to your person at all times.
King Pieb
I found a traffic cone in freshers week. It ended up on my head, I'm not quite sure why...

As any Red Dwarf fan will tell you - it's not a good night unless you get a traffic cone!
Reply 66
korobeiniki
As any Red Dwarf fan will tell you - it's not a good night unless you get a traffic cone!

Too ******* right! lol
Reply 67
SianAS
definitely something to wear to a fancy dress party, and an outfit you can wear to fresher's ball.

Is the fresher's ball an evening gown event or more cocktail dress?
Reply 68
BeckyDay
Is the fresher's ball an evening gown event or more cocktail dress?

At St Andrews there tended to be a mix of ball gowns and cocktail dresses.

So either something like this http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_008010222933_-1?breadcrumb=Home~Women

or this http://www.lipsy.co.uk/store/party-dresses/strapless-studded-pocket-dress/product-is-DR02697_048

Hope that helps! If you are having a 6th form prom, I'd definitely take what are you wearing for that, even if it is more cocktail style, as I'm sure that would work.
Reply 69
I do have a prom next month (although the teachers like to make it glamourous by calling it a graduation ball), which I've got an evening gown for so I'll bring that.

Reply 70
Extension cable. They will not have enough cables for all your stuff.
I'm going in September I'm making sure to bring an extra toothbrush.

Also a hot water bottle, brilliant when you have an upset stomach. Also when your sick get some baking soda and water, that'll clear out your stomach in no time, like it's the best cure ever lol. Although I don't drink alcohol I have recommended this combo to friends to cure hangovers haha!
Reply 72
Electric candles :biggrin:
Reply 73
Ethernet cable, I brought about five and everyone borrowed them because they didn't think to bring one.
Reply 74
would i be an absolute **** to take rockband? :P im guessing halls floors arent very thick lol
but deffinatly comething along those lines
and my mate was saying take pink wafer biscuits so people come to you for a snack... i thought this was just plain sad. ill have a 24 pack of beer though :P
Reply 75
Kasphlam
Ethernet cable, I brought about five and everyone borrowed them because they didn't think to bring one.

whats an ethernet cable?! :shock:
Reply 76
chloe_boo
whats an ethernet cable?! :shock:

Connects you to the internet. In our halls we didn't have wireless, and if you don't you need to connect your computer with an ethernet cable to the port. They're a fiverish. :yep:

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/5748605/Belkin-RJ-45-Cat-5e-Ethernet-Crossover-Cable-10-m-10-m/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cc:|prd:5748605|cat:Networking
Just thought of some more. :smile:

An airer for clothes that you can't put in the tumble dryer. You can get a stand alone one if your room is going to be big enough, or you can get one to slot over your radiator in your room (although if your room has a storage heater then you can't use the slot over version).

Recipe books. If you ever want to bake a cake, or even if you can't cook at all, student cook books are always useful.

A detailed map of your university city and campus. You WILL get lost at some point, even if you think you know where you're going, and a map stuffed in your bag will save the day. This is especially useful if you live off campus. If you regularly lose things, it'll be worth making several copies of the map, so you can have a few in your room, one in your bag, and maybe even one at home!
I will be making a list of some of the stuff you all mentioned to bring to uni because I will forget.

I must remember to bring tweezers to sort out my eyebrows now and then ;D
From my list that I don't recall seeing:

-Academic diary
-Small whiteboard (handy as a reminder to whether you've taken you medication or not)
-All your documents (There's bound to be someone who forgets them)
-Blank cds for those important photo galleries
-Sports bottles
-Sweets pot
-Convenience boxes
-Photo printer and charger

Quick Reply

Latest