The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

They don't really look at it properly, I'm convinced. I put that I wanted to be with vegetarians if possible and there's none in my flat but three who live upstairs.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2001
secretmessages
No. The about me section isn't used to decide whether you get ensuite or not, so there's little point. Even if it was, you would be best to say "I am quite a private person" rather than "I want ensuite". Just talk about yourself, whether you go out lots, perhaps when you sleep and how much you sleep, friends, maybe even interests. Just no pleading :no:

OK thanks!
can anyone tell me what claycroft is like?

so far the impression ive got is that its a 'middle ground' kinda place. i like to go out a fair bit but i dont like the idea of hearing union music at night (rootes).

what are the people like?
flaming_dragon
can anyone tell me what claycroft is like?

so far the impression ive got is that its a 'middle ground' kinda place. i like to go out a fair bit but i dont like the idea of hearing union music at night (rootes).

what are the people like?

I've done a guide for it :smile:

People are a wide mix - there's some extremely social party animal types and there's also recluses that nobody ever see. My flat's a great balance - everyone's social but nobody is truly mental.
I haven't even properly thought about accomodation yet :frown:. I want to be with friendly/social people, to make good friends and have an active social life but I need time alone sometimes, and I get moody if I don't get a good amount of sleep each night so I don't want to be somewhere really loud - what would probably be the best accomodation for me?
matt2k8
I haven't even properly thought about accomodation yet :frown:. I want to be with friendly/social people, to make good friends and have an active social life but I need time alone sometimes, and I get moody if I don't get a good amount of sleep each night so I don't want to be somewhere really loud - what would probably be the best accomodation for me?

Jack Martin (JM) is probably one of the most balanced blocks on campus - ensuite, sociable, but not too loud. If you're not bothered about ensuite, Claycroft and Tocil would probably fit into what you've described too. Bearing in mind you can lead an active social life outside of your accommodation (your course, sports, societies), then you'd probably fit in anywhere other than Rootes, which is probably too loud for you :p:

No rush yet though, you still have 3 months to apply and applications aren't even open yet :smile:
I feel like I need to emphasise at this point that it really does not matter which accommodation you end up in. If you make an effort to find likeminded people to make friends with, you will make friends. Whether they be in your accommodation, on your course, or in your clubs.
I agree with Geogia. You will have a fantastic first year WHEREVER you are accom-wise. There are so many ways to meet people, you will find many people you get along with and the first year of Uni is the easiest place ever to make friends, as everyone is in the same position.

The accom you get is not so important, there are good things about each type. I, for example, was not a member of this forum before I joined Uni, so didn't have any extra info about any halls etc when I made my decision...and I was still very happy :smile:
georgia
I'm Claycroft. Remind me about this when we're back at uni and I'll write a bit for you and take photos. I don't really have any of my room at the moment and am at home miles and miles from uni!

How quite is Claycroft? personally i want to live in Henronbank and lakeside because of quiteness ( which means i can study at home) but the location isn't too good and bit expensive compare to claycroft.

this led me to consider 1.Claycroft 2. Henronbank 3. Tocil(?) (plz suggest me any quite minimum 39week accomodation :yep:)

And also, Claycroft open to first yr undergraduate students this yr too?
Thanks
ddongfang
this led me to consider 1.Claycroft 2. Henronbank 3. Tocil(?) (plz suggest me any quite minimum 39week accomodation :yep:)

Thanks

Those are the only quieter 39 week lets I think. (The others are Whitefields/Rootes/Westwood). Perhaps you could put Westwood down but if you want to: it is relatively far away from campus but is 'quieter' than Rootes.

And yes, there is a Claycroft block that is for first year undergraduates - georgia is one of them and she could tell you more about how quiet Claycroft is :smile:
ddongfang
How quite is Claycroft? personally i want to live in Henronbank and lakeside because of quiteness ( which means i can study at home) but the location isn't too good and bit expensive compare to claycroft.

Thanks

It varies. It's never usually noisy noisy unless your flat is going on a big night out (or another flat has invaded yours for theirs...)

Most of the time it's lovely and quiet. The walls aren't amazingly thick though and I'm by the kitchen so can hear whatever's going on in there. As I say though, most of the time that's not really a problem.

I always study here rather than go to the library or somewhere :smile:
georgia
It varies. It's never usually noisy noisy unless your flat is going on a big night out (or another flat has invaded yours for theirs...)

Most of the time it's lovely and quiet. The walls aren't amazingly thick though and I'm by the kitchen so can hear whatever's going on in there. As I say though, most of the time that's not really a problem.

I always study here rather than go to the library or somewhere :smile:

thanks hope to see u there:smile: :smile:
and also thanks thetallone:yep: :yep:
matt2k8

Tocil :-) It is where I was in my first year, and I liked it so much I wanted to be there again for my final year (but got my 2nd choice). It is only 2 minutes walk from the union, but is far enough away to not hear the noise of the union. I found my flat had sociable fun people, but it wasn't as loud constantly, like Rootes. It is also next to the gym and only a very short walk to the academic buildings and 5 mins ish from Tesco! I also liked that it was more like flats as opposed to pretty long corridors like in Rootes.

The main thing though is that you end up with people similar to you, so make sure you are honest about yourself in your 'about me' section. Claycroft is also nice accom, usually slightly quieter and more private, but still sociable too.
Miss_Scarlet
Tocil :-) It is where I was in my first year, and I liked it so much I wanted to be there again for my final year (but got my 2nd choice). It is only 2 minutes walk from the union, but is far enough away to not hear the noise of the union. I found my flat had sociable fun people, but it wasn't as loud constantly, like Rootes. It is also next to the gym and only a very short walk to the academic buildings and 5 mins ish from Tesco! I also liked that it was more like flats as opposed to pretty long corridors like in Rootes.

The main thing though is that you end up with people similar to you, so make sure you are honest about yourself in your 'about me' section. Claycroft is also nice accom, usually slightly quieter and more private, but still sociable too.

How many choices can first years make? and when you say Rootes is too loud, could you give a specific example?
Zweihander
How many choices can first years make? and when you say Rootes is too loud, could you give a specific example?

I don't know if ALL of Rootes is loud, but it has a reputation for being the party hall, with noise every night etc. I knew people there in first year and I saw that. But maybe not every hall is like that in Rootes...
I think you can list 5 or 6 if you want, but you have to list at least three choices, only one of which can be ensuite. I only ever listed three.
Guide updated :smile:

It looks as if Claycroft is not available for first year undergraduates in 2010-11 and Lakeside has been reconverted back to a first year halls.

This does mean that there are still 10 halls of residence for first years, but 5 of them are now en-suite (Arthur Vick, Benefactors, Heronbank, Jack Martin and Lakeside). Chances of getting en-suite next year is high (and the year after will be even higher). Lakeside is now the most expensive accommodation across the year for first years, coming to £4524 for 39 weeks. If you do make use of all 6 options, the five shared bathroom halls (Cryfield, Rootes, Tocil, Westwood, Whitefields) will be part of your selection as the choice of an en-suite will automatically rule out 4 other halls.
TheTallOne

It looks as if Claycroft is not available for first year undergraduates in 2010-11 and Lakeside has been reconverted back to a first year halls.

This does mean that there are still 10 halls of residence for first years, but 5 of them are now en-suite (Arthur Vick, Benefactors, Heronbank, Jack Martin and Lakeside). Chances of getting en-suite next year is high (and the year after will be even higher). Lakeside is now the most expensive accommodation across the year for first years, coming to £4524 for 39 weeks. If you do make use of all 6 options, the five shared bathroom halls (Cryfield, Rootes, Tocil, Westwood, Whitefields) will be part of your selection as the choice of an en-suite will automatically rule out 4 other halls.

omg,, I saw this too wat a joke, now i need to reconsider and also
it says we can apply for accomodation in middle of MAY
TheTallOne

:gosh: :headfire: OMG!!!! Why?????? That is a joke, now like pretty much everyone is gonna put AV/JM as first choice and there's a higher chance of you getting into somewhere you don't wanna go :frown:

Honestly, why did they do that? I was so looking forward to that hall :sad: fml

Oh and there's a 37 week let??
.:excel4100%:.
:gosh: :headfire: OMG!!!! Why?????? That is a joke, now like pretty much everyone is gonna put AV/JM as first choice and there's a higher chance of you getting into somewhere you don't wanna go :frown:

Honestly, why did they do that? I was so looking forward to that hall :sad: fml

Oh and there's a 37 week let??

Only 30 and 39 week lets are available on campus for first year undergraduates - they are shown in the 'Prices and Sharing' section in the guide (but off the top of my head, the 30 week lets are JM/AV/Benefactors/Cryfield and the rest are 39 weeks).

And why they did that - well it's a straight swap between Lakeside and Claycroft blocks - perhaps because en-suites are most popular amongst freshers, perhaps they had difficulty selling Lakeside this year and had to switch back.
TheTallOne
Only 30 and 39 week lets are available on campus for first year undergraduates - they are shown in the 'Prices and Sharing' section in the guide (but off the top of my head, the 30 week lets are JM/AV/Benefactors/Cryfield and the rest are 39 weeks).

And why they did that - well it's a straight swap between Lakeside and Claycroft blocks - perhaps because en-suites are most popular amongst freshers, perhaps they had difficulty selling Lakeside this year and had to switch back.

I saw they changed Whitefields to 37 week let and I think first years are still allowed there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending