The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Applied Maths

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Phlebas
I am considering self-teaching AH Applied Maths as well. What resources did you use to teach yourself the course? The SQA site appears somewhat bare and SCHOLAR doesn't seem to offer too much.
Have a look here. There's not an awful lot of stuff here, but there are notes on both the mechanics units which are good enough to get you through the course. Also, there are some course questions (which is just questions from old SYS past papers), but I kept them for revision.

Unfortunately I can't give you any past papers, I gave all my past papers (and notes/proofs I'd done) to my school incase they would consider start teaching it in the future.

There isn't an awful lot in the way of practice questions around I'm afraid. I made do with past A-Level mechanic exams (if you're looking for these, give me a PM) and past STEP papers (which are more difficult than the AH exam). Also, it's not like any of these questions are geared towards the AH exam, so expect to have to sift through stuff you don't need to know.
Reply 21
ad absurdum
Have a look here. There's not an awful lot of stuff here, but there are notes on both the mechanics units which are good enough to get you through the course. Also, there are some course questions (which is just questions from old SYS past papers), but I kept them for revision.

Unfortunately I can't give you any past papers, I gave all my past papers (and notes/proofs I'd done) to my school incase they would consider start teaching it in the future.

There isn't an awful lot in the way of practice questions around I'm afraid. I made do with past A-Level mechanic exams (if you're looking for these, give me a PM) and past STEP papers (which are more difficult than the AH exam). Also, it's not like any of these questions are geared towards the AH exam, so expect to have to sift through stuff you don't need to know.

Thanks for the link and the general advice! I'll have a look through that stuff and see what's what.
Hi.
I'm considering self-teaching AH Statistics as I would like to study finance at university.
Does anyone have any words of advice as far as workload, expected grades and uni-acceptance are concerned?
Is Statistics a slightly easier unit than AH Mechanics and AH Pure Mathematics?

In advance,

thank you very much.
Stock-Addict
Hi.
I'm considering self-teaching AH Statistics as I would like to study finance at university.
Does anyone have any words of advice as far as workload, expected grades and uni-acceptance are concerned?
Is Statistics a slightly easier unit than AH Mechanics and AH Pure Mathematics?

Statistics isn't too hard if you are doing AH Maths at the same time. Unit 3 of the Statistics course is usually not taught since you'll be covering the same material and more in AH Maths. It's quite a bit easier AH Maths but whether it's easier than mechanics depends on which one you are more comfortable with. A main difference is that you'll be asked to give some answers in words in the exam (such as explaining a statistical test or type of sampling) which is unusual for a maths or mechanics paper.

In essence you are only doing two units rather than the usual three since the last unit should be covered in the AH Maths course. My experience has been that universities see AH Stats as a fully-fledged AH grade and would make you an offer as if it is any other subject. However since you want to do finance in uni I suggest also taking AH Maths is essential.

EDIT: I see from your past posts you are considering Cambridge as one of your options. Personally, AH Stats was included as part of my Cambridge offer (for Computer Science). In general, for Cambridge I would go for Maths + Stats + a science for advanced highers, or another science if it is possible to do 4 AHs in your school
ukdragon37,
thank you very much for your informative answer.
You are correct in saying that I previously looked into Cambridge, now, however, I would prefer LSE-Accounting&Finance and Oxford-Financial Economics/Economics and Management, slightly more.
I have emailed both LSE and Oxford-LSE seem the more lenient as AH Maths is concerned, whereas Oxford-without actually stating their preference-seem to make a bigger thing out of the importance of AH Maths.
However, I do currently not intend to take AH Maths, but rather AH Statistics, AH Geography and AH Business Management. The reason being, is that I find AH Statistics more relevant to Finance, than AH Maths. These choices will of course be subject to change (ie. I choose AH Maths over AH Geography) if I discover that the universities regard AH Maths and NOT AH Maths as a necessity.
Oxford's admission officer said the following to me:

"We would usually advise candidates to take Advanced Higher that included calculus and differential equations, whether it be Mathematics or Statistics, as these are of particular use when studying Economics as part of a degree at Oxford."

Does the AH Statistics-unit contain any calculus or differential equations? If so, then, judging from this excerpt, should I be okay with AH Statistics?

Also, would it be difficult to self-teach AH Statistics without taking AH Maths in school, even if I started with a tutor in the beginning of June?
ukdragon37
Statistics isn't too hard if you are doing AH Maths at the same time. Unit 3 of the Statistics course is usually not taught since you'll be covering the same material and more in AH Maths. It's quite a bit easier AH Maths but whether it's easier than mechanics depends on which one you are more comfortable with. A main difference is that you'll be asked to give some answers in words in the exam (such as explaining a statistical test or type of sampling) which is unusual for a maths or mechanics paper.

In essence you are only doing two units rather than the usual three since the last unit should be covered in the AH Maths course. My experience has been that universities see AH Stats as a fully-fledged AH grade and would make you an offer as if it is any other subject. However since you want to do finance in uni I suggest also taking AH Maths is essential.

EDIT: I see from your past posts you are considering Cambridge as one of your options. Personally, AH Stats was included as part of my Cambridge offer (for Computer Science). In general, for Cambridge I would go for Maths + Stats + a science for advanced highers, or another science if it is possible to do 4 AHs in your school

Pardon me, I meant of course: " if I discover that the universities regard AH Maths and NOT AH Statistics as a necessity."

Cheers.
Stock-Addict
ukdragon37,
thank you very much for your informative answer.
You are correct in saying that I previously looked into Cambridge, now, however, I would prefer LSE-Accounting&Finance and Oxford-Financial Economics/Economics and Management, slightly more.
I have emailed both LSE and Oxford-LSE seem the more lenient as AH Maths is concerned, whereas Oxford-without actually stating their preference-seem to make a bigger thing out of the importance of AH Maths.
However, I do currently not intend to take AH Maths, but rather AH Statistics, AH Geography and AH Business Management. The reason being, is that I find AH Statistics more relevant to Finance, than AH Maths. These choices will of course be subject to change (ie. I choose AH Maths over AH Geography) if I discover that the universities regard AH Maths and NOT AH Maths as a necessity.
Oxford's admission officer said the following to me:

"We would usually advise candidates to take Advanced Higher that included calculus and differential equations, whether it be Mathematics or Statistics, as these are of particular use when studying Economics as part of a degree at Oxford."

Does the AH Statistics-unit contain any calculus or differential equations? If so, then, judging from this excerpt, should I be okay with AH Statistics?

Also, would it be difficult to self-teach AH Statistics without taking AH Maths in school, even if I started with a tutor in the beginning of June?

Only AH Maths contains the full coverage in calculus and differential equations, since they are regarded as "pure" mathematical topics. It's possible to self-teach the pure content that's required for AH Stats, even if you do not take AH Maths, but you will find that the content covered is very basic compared to AH Maths and it will place you at a significant disadvantage both before and after entering university to others who have done the pure maths content at AH or A-level. Based on Oxford's reply, I'd strongly recommend you taking AH Maths as well. As an example, in the Oxbridge interviews they will almost definitely ask you pure maths questions since you are applying to a maths-related subject. You simply would not have the knowledge available to answer them if you do not take AH Maths.

To put it another way, with the subjects you are considering taking now, you would only cover the content equivalent to AS Maths + half of A2 taken by the students doing A-level in England. Now keeping in mind that applicants to LSE and Oxford will certainly be doing the full A2 (with about the same statistics content covered in modules as AH Stats) and most will be doing Further Maths A-level as well, it is evident that you will be at a disadvantage. Taking AH Maths will put you in comparable footing with those taking Further Maths in England.

I would also recommend you to check with admissions whether they may prefer for you not to take AH Business Management, since it is often considered a "soft" (or even "blacklisted" ) subject. I know it may seem to be related to Economics, but most of the older and more prestigious universities prefer "traditional" subjects.
ukdragon37
Only AH Maths contains the full coverage in calculus and differential equations, since they are regarded as "pure" mathematical topics. It's possible to self-teach the pure content that's required for AH Stats, even if you do not take AH Maths, but you will find that the content covered is very basic compared to AH Maths and it will place you at a significant disadvantage both before and after entering university to others who have done the pure maths content at AH or A-level. Based on Oxford's reply, I'd strongly recommend you taking AH Maths as well. As an example, in the Oxbridge interviews they will almost definitely ask you pure maths questions since you are applying to a maths-related subject. You simply would not have the knowledge available to answer them if you do not take AH Maths.

To put it another way, with the subjects you are considering taking now, you would only cover the content equivalent to AS Maths + half of A2 taken by the students doing A-level in England. Now keeping in mind that applicants to LSE and Oxford will certainly be doing the full A2 (with about the same statistics content covered in modules as AH Stats) and most will be doing Further Maths A-level as well, it is evident that you will be at a disadvantage. Taking AH Maths will put you in comparable footing with those taking Further Maths in England.

I would also recommend you to check with admissions whether they may prefer for you not to take AH Business Management, since it is often considered a "soft" (or even "blacklisted" ) subject. I know it may seem to be related to Economics, but most of the older and more prestigious universities prefer "traditional" subjects.

Okay, thank you, I will certainly take that into consideration going forward. I might change to AH Maths then, however I think I'll wait and see what my higher results are like (I'm obviously expecting an A at higher Maths, but you never know...). But if the maths results are positive (which I'll know in August), I will take AH BM, AH GEO and AH Maths in school, and AH Statistics as self-teaching. Does this sound sensible? Or will I struggle to catch up in AH Maths if I miss out on the June-content?

As regards Advanced Higher Business Management, I'm afraid you're slightly misguided in your view, as AH BM is regarded one of the most challenging AH's you can take (it counts as 1.5 A-levels). The fact that there were less than 3 A's last year with more than 500 students, illustrates this quite clearly.

On a general note, as I gather that we're both glaswegians, how hard did you find the "transition" to Oxbridge from the Scottish school system? Is there a lot of work required even for the super-geniuses? (which btw doesn't include me). And just out of interest, could you tell me what higher and advanced higher subjects you took, and what results you got, and what your conditional/unconditional offers (from various unis including of course oxford) were like? (oxbridge don't seem to give a lot of unconditionals do they..?)

Yet again-thank you very much for you time. It is hugely appreciated.
Stock-Addict
Okay, thank you, I will certainly take that into consideration going forward. I might change to AH Maths then, however I think I'll wait and see what my higher results are like (I'm obviously expecting an A at higher Maths, but you never know...). But if the maths results are positive (which I'll know in August), I will take AH BM, AH GEO and AH Maths in school, and AH Statistics as self-teaching. Does this sound sensible? Or will I struggle to catch up in AH Maths if I miss out on the June-content?

That should be fine, provided you are comfortable with the workload. If you feel overwhelmed by one of the subjects then you can drop it and still be fine, although I would advise doing this before you apply to UCAS since any offer is made on the assumption that you take all the exams you declare on the application.

Stock-Addict

As regards Advanced Higher Business Management, I'm afraid you're slightly misguided in your view, as AH BM is regarded one of the most challenging AH's you can take (it counts as 1.5 A-levels). The fact that there were less than 3 A's last year with more than 500 students, illustrates this quite clearly.

Ok sorry, just checking as I have no experience with the subject but it does seem like something oxbridge would blacklist.

Stock-Addict

On a general note, as I gather that we're both glaswegians, how hard did you find the "transition" to Oxbridge from the Scottish school system? Is there a lot of work required even for the super-geniuses? (which btw doesn't include me).

You don't have to be a super-genius to get in or do well :smile: If you have always worked well on your own and is able to motivate yourself then you will find the transition not too difficult. However the workload is quite a lot and the content you learn could be much more than those in other universities, and you have to learn it in a shorter time due to the short terms.

Personally I find that having a Scottish education actually placed me in a good position with regards to the studies, since because there aren't that great coverage with the AH you get practice in learning for yourself.

Stock-Addict

And just out of interest, could you tell me what higher and advanced higher subjects you took, and what results you got, and what your conditional/unconditional offers (from various unis including of course oxford) were like? (oxbridge don't seem to give a lot of unconditionals do they..?)

I got to Cambridge :smile: I applied to computer science/maths in all of my university choices. I was offered unconditional to second year by St. Andrews, AAA by Durham, AAA by Warwick, AAAA in Physics, Maths, Stats and Computing by Imperial and AAA in Physics, Stats and Maths + STEP by Cambridge. My subjects and grades are in my profiles :o:
Reply 29
Stock-Addict

The stat that there were 3As out of 500 could easily be down to the type of people that take AH Bus Man and the lack of resources for it. It might still be blacklisted.
Hi guys,
sorry to butt in on your post, but it is not often one stumbles upon a prospective LSE/Oxbridge student from Scotland on TSR.

Anyway, I am also i 5th year and will next year be studying AH Math, AH Applied Maths (stats), AH Economics and AH French.

Just wondering is you could give your opinions on whether I stand a chance if I apply for economics at these uni's, provided I get good enough grades of course!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
theblackswan
Hi guys,
sorry to butt in on your post, but it is not often one stumbles upon a prospective LSE/Oxbridge student from Scotland on TSR.

Anyway, I am also i 5th year and will next year be studying AH Math, AH Applied Maths (stats), AH Economics and AH French.

Just wondering is you could give your opinions on whether I stand a chance if I apply for economics at these uni's, provided I get good enough grades of course!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Of course you would certainly have a chance. People get in with less than 4 AHs and provided you have a good PS and extra curriculars you should be fine.
How do people feel about advanced higher applied maths? My school doesn't offer it, however I would very much like to study it next year along with advanced higher maths. I was wondering: why do only some schools offer advanced applied maths? Is it simply because it's not in high demand, could I ask my headteacher if he would let me some how study it in school from a teacher? If I could study double maths next year (advanced and applied) could I teach myself it if I couldn't persuade my headteacher? I heard if you do physics and maths it's an easy A. England also have the, "further maths network" do we have an equivalent? Does the "further maths network" apply in Scotland? Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending