The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

rt1009
id like to see you hit a six out of the ground against the fastest bowler in the world

Like I said I could? Many agree that Beckham is overrated, but they can't do what he does... I just think he's a bit all or nothing with the bat. :rolleyes:
I'd bash u at poker, I'm up £300 this month from £20 on 888.com poker
kpg
Bowling your spinner on the 5th day of a test match isn't that bad a move.

It is when your spinner is bowling undiluted horsemeat.
Oh yeah, if anyone was watching Today at the Test last night, me and my friends were right on camera when Ponting hit Hoggard for a four through mid on in Hoggard's first over.
Tonight Matthew
It is when your spinner is bowling undiluted horsemeat.

lol, he's not that bad, I've seen Blackwell live and he's fat. :eek:

Weird that the spinners did better in the first innings. :confused:

Were they overused and so got tired fingers or something, or just crap on those days....
oblivious
I'd bash u at poker, I'm up £300 this month from £20 on 888.com poker

ooooh, really?! :rolleyes: :cool:

i may be underage, but hey i've won £30 from a £5 free signup bonus on Pacificpoker, on a low stakes game :p: an i dont play that often online.
tis_me_lord
I think he's overrated, with the bat anyway.

He's the best all rounder in the world. He always bowls well, and while his batting may be more inconsistent, he's still a good batsman. It's hard to bowl and bat -top order batsmen can devote their training to improving just their batting, while he has to do both.
Reply 5127
Yeh glutamine was a waste of money for me the first time as well, did nothing, but I'm cutting now and apparantly it helps retain muscle mass, so I thought starting it again won't do any harm.
endeavour
He's the best all rounder in the world. He always bowls well, and while his batting may be more inconsistent, he's still a good batsman. It's hard to bowl and bat -top order batsmen can devote their training to improving just their batting, while he has to do both.

**cough** jacques Kallis, best batsman and 23rd best bowler. Anyway that's not very important.

Has anyone heard Kevin "bloody" wilson's "the shane warne song" I would post it but i dont know if it's a little too offensive.
To give you an idea of the song the chorus contains the line "warnie put you're wanger away, that pecker's gonna get you into trouble some day. You stick to cricket i'll do the r**tin for australia so warnie put your wanger away"
Reply 5129
hey
ive been rowing for bout 2 years, one year serious, finished season this year by racin novice skull in irish champs. im 5'4 and 8 stone exactly, i know im mega lite etc etc but do u reckon ill be asked to put on a couple of stone at uni?
imasillynarb
I know that at 6ft 2 I'm always going to be second pick to 6ft 5, 16 stone, public schoolboys who've been rowing since 14.

**** you're a giant. I feel bad at 6ft. I went to the selections at a Canadian Uni and I went with a friend who drove me to the test. When we got there, he (who's 6ft5) got all the attention from the coaches, they immediately asked him questions, how much experience he had. The stupid thing is that despite him probably weight a stone or two more than me, I got a better erg time than him.
Reply 5131
mootle
hey
ive been rowing for bout 2 years, one year serious, finished season this year by racin novice skull in irish champs. im 5'4 and 8 stone exactly, i know im mega lite etc etc but do u reckon ill be asked to put on a couple of stone at uni?

No, you'll be asked to hang from some goal posts until you're taller :p:
Murray just beat Taylor Dent 7-6 7-6 in Cincinnatti! Murray was solid but Dent played really poorly. Next up is Safin tomorrow night which could be a great match.

Henman and Rusedski also through and they play tomorrow as well
hmm ok, so how would you guys advise I go about getting myself into good shape to start rowing?
How strong should one be?

I'm also wondering whether I would be able to train during my time at uni, and thus join a team or something after about my first team, how easy is this?

Which one skill or ability, above all others, makes you a great rower?

I'm 6'1 and 10stone, so I need to beef myself up a bit, but how?

Thanks.
Reply 5134
Eating more food would be a start, theres plenty of threads on the subject anyway, look at them, if not buy some books on the subject - try to steer clear of the steroid based ones though.

There is no one skill or ability that makes you a great rower, rowing is about many many things - mental strength, fitness, technique etc.

Technique is something you can only really be taught by a coach, so just hope you get a good coach or go to a good rowing Uni.

Fitness is a lot easier when theres organised sessions arranged by coaches and boatclub and you have the facilities, again, make sure you go to a good rowing Uni.

Mental strength I guess is just something you do or don't have, 2ks hurt, a lot, and you need to be able to put yourself in the hurt zone and keep it there for a good 3-4 minutes during a 2k. Added to the fact you need to spend stupid amounts of time doing monotonous training.

If you want to row, join straight away, forget about waiting for the first term, you would have already missed your first term in rowing which is very important for the following reasons - boat selection, increased knowledge, technique work, increase fitness, the list goes on, but I would definitely recommend joining straight away, I joined in week 7 last year and I was definitely disadvantaged because of it.
Reply 5135
lol. they could take the whole man u team, American Football is the ideal sport for those thugs :rolleyes:
Herleif Arkadios
lol. they could take the whole man u team, American Football is the ideal sport for those thugs :rolleyes:

i think olympic diving would be a more sensible sport for them. preferably synchronized diving. or both. The Netherlands would certainly rise a few places in the medal table!
Beekeeper

I'm also wondering whether I would be able to train during my time at uni, and thus join a team or something after about my first team, how easy is this?

Which one skill or ability, above all others, makes you a great rower?

Don't hang around - if you're keen, join in the first term. It's when they'll have most novices and probably a training scheme specifically for them. They'll help guide you with all the training you'll need.

Right now, I'd work on cardio. Try a couple of sessions on an erg, making sure you use the right technique (keep your back strong and drive with your legs; your arms should have almost no work at all to do). Don’t kill yourself straight away; do some long pieces at low rate to get used to the stroke. Do a 2k if you want but I’d recommend waiting until you have a coach to talk (shout!) you through it. If you want to work on specific muscle groups, rowing is all about the quads *has thighs of steel.*

As for the one skill or ability - Kipling said it exactly, and more poetically than any boatie ever could:

"If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone;
And so hold on when there is nothing in you,
Except the Will which says to them 'hold on.' "
Reply 5138
oh har he ha!!!!
mootle
oh har he ha!!!!

You think that's not true?

(OK, I didn't come up with that myself, it's filched from another rowing messageboard, but sums it up for me)

Latest