The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

.:excel4100%:.
I saw they changed Whitefields to 37 week let and I think first years are still allowed there.

:holmes:

New news: new facilites table out. Will be adjusting the Whitefields details. A bit strange though to kick people out for only two weeks though. The 2 weeks are going to be in December, which basically means you need to move stuff out during then (quite bad news tbh). They have only just changed Whitefields - when I first checked the prices it was a 39 week let.

Whitefields now down from £2925 to £2775 for the 2010-11 year. Also reduced from 39 to 37 weeks, with the two week break occurring in mid-December. This means that you will need to move out during winter, like other 30 week lets. You probably will get access to the lockable cupboard.

Check out the changes in the Warwick Accommodation guide over the first few pages.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2021
I'm more of a quiet one and would appreciate en-suite accommodation. Seen as I'm not resident in the UK, 30 week let isn't really an option for me, and I really like Heronbank and Lakeside, especially seen as the latter is apparently open to first years now!

My question: Is there a point in putting Heronbank as first choice and Lakeside as second, or would this merely be a waste of a second choice? I have read the guide, and it says putting en-suite anywhere but 1st is pointless, but from what I gather HB and LS are relatively unpopular due to the distance (which is actually what attracts me to them), so does this make LS a good second choice? I would appreciate anybody's sage advice :smile:
Welix
I'm more of a quiet one and would appreciate en-suite accommodation. Seen as I'm not resident in the UK, 30 week let isn't really an option for me, and I really like Heronbank and Lakeside, especially seen as the latter is apparently open to first years now!

My question: Is there a point in putting Heronbank as first choice and Lakeside as second, or would this merely be a waste of a second choice? I have read the guide, and it says putting en-suite anywhere but 1st is pointless, but from what I gather HB and LS are relatively unpopular due to the distance (which is actually what attracts me to them), so does this make LS a good second choice? I would appreciate anybody's sage advice :smile:

You can only put down one ensuite down so you have to choose one of LS/HB [AV/JM/BF are 30 weeks] and then you can choose any from Rootes/Tocil/Westwood [Whitefields/Cryfield are 37 and 30 weeks respectively] as your remaining choices.

Remember you need to make a minimum of 3 choices.
Looking at the FAQ section on Warwick Accommodation, it seems as if they have removed the 'why can I only apply to one en suite section'. It may be possible that you can freely apply to any accommodation you like. :iiam: We shall find out when the accommodation goes live. Make sure you check the form before you submit to see if you can apply to more than one.

Just had it confirmed by email, you can only apply to one en suite.

Update: 04/05/2010 - They emailed back correcting what they sent and you can now apply to at most two en suite accommodation, one of which is a 30 week let and one of which is a 39 week let.
Reply 2024
Hello again :wink:

I will be starting MSc Finance at Warwick on 27th Sep 2010. As official Warwick accomodation FAQ says:
Campus contracts for the full year start on the Saturday before the first day of term. Autumn Term
starts on 4th Oct 2010.
They also say that:
Postgraduates allocated to campus halls will be able to move in up to one week before the start of term 1 only. All early arrivals will be charged for any nights not covered by their accommodation contracts.
So as far as I'm concerned I will have to move in 'one week early' and pay some extra fee in order not to miss the first week of my postgrad degree. Is that about right? Does anyone know how this 'early week' is charged? Normal weekly rent or 5* hotel rates? Isn't it better to stop at a local B&B perhaps? On the other hand it's kinda funny that they cannot synchronize post-grad move-in dates with the start of the course...
jakash
Given that having an en-suite is more important to me than being close to campus, would you say it is a better bet to put Lakeside or Heronbank as my first choice?

Comparing to AV and JM, which are also very nice, which I get the impression are more competitive for places, and so I'm less likely to get a place there(?).

A particularly reputable sociable hall isn't really that important to me, shared kitchens seem good enough, but (no offence) I would want to be around other British students and not too many quiet international students, would anyone say either of these make Heronbank or LS genuinely quieter halls?

I would say that HB/LS would be easier to get into than JM/AV for the reason that it is further away and much more expensive. One thing to say is that HB and LS is also shared between postgrads/final years so there are fewer places than actually advertised - perhaps a few hundred fewer in each case. However to contrast HB/LS will be 39 week lets, popular for international students - there will be a greater proportion of them in 39 week lets compared to 30 week lets.

Whether the international students will be more quiet than home students is a separate matter. International students are more likely to stick with other students from their culture, mainly due to the presence of cultural societies. Does that mean they are quiet? No. Will all international students be like this? No. Some international groups will do similar activities that home groups do (ie the idea of drinking/bars/clubbing), some don't. That said, some home students don't like clubs/bars. However, if you go to the SU (particularly with the regular club nights: Top B and Pop and '80s, '90s, early '00s club night Skool Dayz), any non-Caucasian person there will more than likely be someone who has lived in the UK all their life/is British rather than be an international. In contrast events like Hustle are more multi cultural.

Basically, wherever you apply, who you end up with is a bit of luck. You could end up in Rootes and have a rubbish group of people or end up in Lakeside with an amazing group of people. The most important thing is that the people you live with are not the only friends you make at uni. Your main social group may be with students from other halls.
Poland
Hello again :wink:

I will be starting MSc Finance at Warwick on 27th Sep 2010. As official Warwick accomodation FAQ says:
They also say that: So as far as I'm concerned I will have to move in 'one week early' and pay some extra fee in order not to miss the first week of my postgrad degree. Is that about right? Does anyone know how this 'early week' is charged? Normal weekly rent or 5* hotel rates? Isn't it better to stop at a local B&B perhaps? On the other hand it's kinda funny that they cannot synchronize post-grad move-in dates with the start of the course...

During the Winter/Easter, Warwick Accommodation use Cryfield for student/staff/visitor accommdation, charging £12 a night for students and £22 for staff/visitors. Cryfield normally costs ~£74 a week, so a student will pay only a small amount more than the normal weekly charge.

Not sure about the early week, but I would assume that they may charge a small amount more (and charge per night possibly). To be absolutely sure, I suggest you email Warwick Accommodation.
Reply 2027
ahh this has really annoyed me about Claycroft...i was set on applying there as a new student and now cant...and to add to the annoyance, LS is ensuite which means i wouldnt be able to apply to JM/AV and then LS...why have they done this apart from reasons stated above? surely that cant have been the main reason
Krups100
ahh this has really annoyed me about Claycroft...i was set on applying there as a new student and now cant...and to add to the annoyance, LS is ensuite which means i wouldnt be able to apply to JM/AV and then LS...why have they done this apart from reasons stated above? surely that cant have been the main reason

Well when Lakeside was built around the year 2000 it was originally planned to be a Postgraduate halls, costing £62.40 a week (nearly doubled in 10 years :colonhash:) but many Postgrads live off campus and didn't take up the offer so undergraduates basically took over the halls and filled up demand. Lakeside was open to undergraduates from then until 2008-09. That year Claycroft was available to final years and postgraduates, while LS was available to all. Then I think they did a switch for 2009-10, probably as a test to see demand for either. It seems it didn't work so they've changed it back again.

This is how it has changed:
2007-08: Claycroft: All, LS: All, HB: Postgrads
2008-09: Claycroft: Final/Postgrad, LS: All, HB: First/Postgrad
2009-10: Claycroft: All, LS: Final, Postgrad, HB: First/Postgrad
2010-11: Claycroft: Final/Postgrad, LS: All, HB: First/Postgrad
Reply 2029
ahh i see...that has really put me in a bind now :frown:
Reply 2030
Krups100
ahh i see...that has really put me in a bind now :frown:

same here, intended to apply to claycroft since it's near the statistics department where i'll have most of my lectures and it's one toilet between only two
ah well, have to reconsider my choices now...
klhl
same here, intended to apply to claycroft since it's near the statistics department where i'll have most of my lectures and it's one toilet between only two
ah well, have to reconsider my choices now...

Same here....my primary reason for thinking of putting Claycroft first choice was that it was the closest to the maths department....around 2 minutes walk someone told me :eek: but now they crashed my dream of waking up just 15 minutes before lectures now as I'm probably gonna end up in halls where I have to share :sad:
is anyone going to the Law open day on Wednesday??
What is Whitefields like? Is it sociable?
Update: Got another email back from Warwick Accommodation and they said what they initially told me was incorrect: in fact you can apply two at most two en suites, one a 30 week let and one a 39 week let. Good news for people applying this year :smile:

What does this change do? I think that the dynamics of Heronbank and Lakeside will change slightly - yes, there will still be a larger proportion of international students in the 39 week lets (especially en suite), but now we will see many students who can afford the most expensive lets to apply to AV/JM a first choice and then HB/LS as their second choice (and perhaps some the other way around). What this does mean is that you can probably still get ensuite with your second choice.
Reply 2035
Great news! :biggrin: ... Thanks for the heads up TallOne :yy:
Thread updated :smile:

New section all about what happens after your apply and information about the Arrivals Weekend and Freshers Fortnight.

I'd say that the guide is pretty complete now, other than the missing halls reviews. If I don't get them from this year's lot, I'd be happy to take reviews in November and December from 2010-11 :smile: +rep remember if you do :smile:
TheTallOne
Thread updated :smile:

New section all about what happens after your apply and information about the Arrivals Weekend and Freshers Fortnight.

I'd say that the guide is pretty complete now, other than the missing halls reviews. If I don't get them from this year's lot, I'd be happy to take reviews in November and December from 2010-11 :smile: +rep remember if you do :smile:

"New section all about what happens after your apply and information about the Arrivals Weekend and Freshers Fortnight." where can i find this? link??
ddongfang
"New section all about what happens after your apply and information about the Arrivals Weekend and Freshers Fortnight." where can i find this? link??

The first four posts on this thread has a massive FAQ, etc. Just go to page one of this thread :smile:

See the section 'After I've Applied'. I think it spans pages 3 and 4 at the moment.
A friend of mine lives in Westwood, I went to see it yesterday. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised, nice and cheap (but not very popular)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending