The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

TheTallOne
The first four posts on this thread has a massive FAQ, etc. Just go to page one of this thread :smile:

See the section 'After I've Applied'. I think it spans pages 3 and 4 at the moment.

In 2nd year when you move into accomodation off campus can you stay in the accomodation over the summer between 2nd & 3rd year?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Zweihander
In 2nd year when you move into accomodation off campus can you stay in the accomodation over the summer between 2nd & 3rd year?

There are 11 weeks vacation accommodation (probably in Cryfield) over the summer vacation, however if you go for off campus accommodation with Warwick Accommodation, it is only 42 weeks (50 weeks for Postgraduates).

You could arrange alternate private accommodation without Warwick Accommodation (many people do). You could probably sort out a 52 week let or more.
Thread updated :smile:

I've found the numbers of rooms available at each halls. Interesting that there are fewer 39 week en suites than I initially thought.

Arthur Vick (396)

Benefactors (22 single, 24 twin - 48 places in shared rooms)

Cryfield (258)

Heronbank (151)

Jack Martin (425)

Lakeside (140)

Rootes (924)

Tocil (291)

Westwood (460)

Whitefields (195)

There are 3,310 places available for first year undergraduates in 2010-11, of which 1,182 are en suite places (48 of these places are in 24 shared rooms in Benefactors) and 2,128 are shared bathrooms. There are 1,149 30-week rents available, of which 891 are en-suite. There are 195 37-week rents available, of which 0 are en-suite. There are 1,966 39-week rents available, of which 291 are en-suite.

Claycroft 2 has about 240 rooms - so the Claycroft/Lakeside switch means that there are about 100 fewer rooms on campus available to first years.
Reply 2043
TheTallOne

I've found the numbers of places available at each halls. Interesting that there are fewer 39 week en suites than I initially thought.

Arthur Vick (396)

Benefactors (22 single, 24 twin)

Cryfield (258)

Heronbank (151)

Jack Martin (425)

Lakeside (140)

Rootes (924)

Tocil (291)

Westwood (460)

Whitefields (195)

There are 3,286 places available for first year undergraduates in 2010-11, of which 1,158 are en suite places (24 of these places are in 12 shared rooms in Benefactors) and 2,128 are shared bathrooms. There are 1,125 30-week rents available, of which 867 are en-suite. There are 195 37-week rents available, of which 0 are en-suite. There are 1,966 39-week rents available, of which 291 are en-suite.

Claycroft 2 has about 240 rooms - so the Claycroft/Lakeside switch means that there are about 100 fewer rooms on campus available to first years.

Really surprised at the low number of places for first years at Heronbank and Lakeside! Only 151 out of 701 (HB) and 140 out of 596 (LS). :eek:
ZepHead
Really surprised at the low number of places for first years at Heronbank and Lakeside! Only 151 out of 701 (HB) and 140 out of 596 (LS). :eek:

They need to put finalists and postgrads somewhere, non?

Anyway I reckon it'd be a better accommodation for any year except first tbh. It's too out of the way.
Reply 2045
georgia
They need to put finalists and postgrads somewhere, non?

Bien sûr:wink: . I suppose that (for no particular reason) I was expecting that all the accommodation which was open to both first years and finalists would be split roughly 50/50. I haven't looked at the numbers for all the residences, but Heronbank/Lakeside caught my eye. Thinking about it though, I suspect that there are some residences which are less suitable for finalists than for first years (Rootes immediately springs to mind - from what I hear, the party atmosphere there may not be conducive to completion of dissertations etc!):biggrin:

georgia
Anyway I reckon it'd be a better accommodation for any year except first tbh. It's too out of the way.

Interesting that you say that - it's really my only concern about HB/LS for a first year. In truth, it's the distance from Tesco that bothers me most!:biggrin:
Reply 2046
i am considering either whitefields or tocil for my second choice and i have one question in mind: what do they mean by single sex areas?
i've read from previous posts that tocil has 3 floors, so is it one floor to a sex, or the WHOLE block is of the same sex (cuz that bothers me, considering i've studied in a girls school for 11 years and i've really had enough of that XP)
Old Rootes vs New Rootes - pros/cons?
Zweihander
Old Rootes vs New Rootes - pros/cons?

Ooh, that's a good question, I'd like to know as well
I don't know a great deal about Rootes but I've been under the impression that New Rootes is "better" as it's newer. It certainly looks nicer from the outside. New Rootes is slightly closer to central campus, but you'd hardly notice the difference. You'll have to wait for someone who knows a bit more about Rootes to come along if you want more information, but it's worth noting that unless something has changed from previous years, you apply simply to Rootes and it's pot luck which you get given.
Yeah I think Rootes is still pot luck which you are given... though I may be wrong!

I still liked Tocil best :-D But I always thought Claycroft looked quite nice.
Reply 2051
Miss_Scarlet
Yeah I think Rootes is still pot luck which you are given... though I may be wrong!

I still liked Tocil best :-D But I always thought Claycroft looked quite nice.

knew from previous posts that you lived in tocil in your first year
one quick question: for single sex, does that mean the BLOCK is of one sex or just a FLOOR?
thx in advance =]
klhl
one quick question: for single sex, does that mean the BLOCK is of one sex or just a FLOOR?
thx in advance =]

Most kitchens are all mixed sex, so if you are in a single sex area then it will likely be one flat (rather than an entire floor or building).
klhl
thx in advance =]

I am not certain because I didn't want single sex rooms so I didn't put that I would accept that I don't think?
I have a feeling it is only one floor (either 6 or 12 rooms, depending on flat, bathrooms and kitchen). Most tocil blocks have 3 floors in each flat, I don't think the whole block would be single sex, but maybe it depends on the year.
Sorry if this question has already been answered but if i put Rootes down as my first choice am i quite likely to get it seen as there are over 900 rooms?!

Think I'l put Arthur Vick second which i'd like because of the ensuite.... but Rootes sounds more fun, is cheaper and you dont have to move out in the hols :smile:.

No idea what to put as my third choice, gotta pick another shared bathroom one tonight :/.

Quote me if you reply :smile: ta x
Jessique14
Sorry if this question has already been answered but if i put Rootes down as my first choice am i quite likely to get it seen as there are over 900 rooms?!

Think I'l put Arthur Vick second which i'd like because of the ensuite.... but Rootes sounds more fun, is cheaper and you dont have to move out in the hols :smile:.

No idea what to put as my third choice, gotta pick another shared bathroom one tonight :/.

Quote me if you reply :smile: ta x

Very likely, but still not guaranteed.

In the unlikely event you don't get Rootes, the chances that you will end up with Arthur Vick are much less than the changes of not getting Rootes (ie you will end up with 3rd choice or worse should you not get Rootes). Remember, you can still apply to Heronbank or Lakeside (as you can now apply to two en suites), but doing Rootes/AV/HB is quite suicidal should you not end up with Rootes. So I'd stick third choice with Cryfield/Tocil/Westwood/Whitefields. Make 4th/5th/6th choices if you particularly don't want to end up somewhere.

See the disaster situation in grey in the 'How allocation works' section in the Warwick Accommodation Guide in the first few posts of this thread, if you haven't seen it already.

Changed Benefactors (shared) to 24 twin rooms (thus 48 places), rather than 12 twin rooms and 24 places which turned out to be incorrect. Updated the numbers elsewhere. My post on the 08/05/2010 now reads:

Arthur Vick (396)

Benefactors (22 single, 24 twin - 48 places in shared rooms)

Cryfield (258)

Heronbank (151)

Jack Martin (425)

Lakeside (140)

Rootes (924)

Tocil (291)

Westwood (460)

Whitefields (195)

There are 3,310 places available for first year undergraduates in 2010-11, of which 1,182 are en suite places (48 of these places are in 24 shared rooms in Benefactors) and 2,128 are shared bathrooms. There are 1,149 30-week rents available, of which 891 are en-suite. There are 195 37-week rents available, of which 0 are en-suite. There are 1,966 39-week rents available, of which 291 are en-suite.
Reply 2057
judging from the map, westwood seems SO far away, but how long do u actually have to walk from there to the SU, tescos, costcutters, etc. and how long to the stats department?
also, i know this has nothing to do with accommodation, but does anyone know where the nearest HSBC branch/cash machine is?
Reply 2058
> TheTallOne: Just wondering about the "want to live in a quiet area" question on the application form. I really need my sleep and wouldn't be happy at being woken up at all hours by noisy peeps - on the other hand I am sociable and want to make friends and have fun (just not all night, every night)! If I were to tick the "quiet area" box would I be likely to end up amongst a group of anti-social recluses? I wouldn't want that :frown:

Maybe I should tick the box but then elaborate (as above) in my personal statement - what do you think?
klhl
judging from the map, westwood seems SO far away, but how long do u actually have to walk from there to the SU, tescos, costcutters, etc. and how long to the stats department?
also, i know this has nothing to do with accommodation, but does anyone know where the nearest HSBC branch/cash machine is?

The nearest HSBC branch is now in Coventry (the Campus branch closed last year). However, cash withdrawals are free for all cards from the cash machines in the SU run by Natwest and Barclays and there are branches of Barclays and Natwest in the SU as well. I haven't heard if another bank is going to take up the HSBC spot that has opened up. What you could do is set up a bank account with Barclays/Natwest once you arrive here and use internet banking to move money between your HSBC account and Barclays/Natwest account, making transactions a bit easier.

I take it you are referring to this map, if not this is the highlighted one with useful locations pointed out. The Statistics department is in the same place as the Maths building, I'd say it is about a 12 minute walk to Westwood from there. It's not much further away than Cryfield/Benefactors. For the library, it's probably another 2 minutes further, but it is 3 minutes closer to Cryfield/Benefactors.

The SU and Costcutter (main campus) are further away, perhaps 15-17 minutes, perhaps 20 minutes worst case. There is a small Costcutter open on weekdays on the Westwood campus. University House (containing the Learning Grid) is close to Westwood, along with Varsity (called 'Pub' on map, square D3), as well as the Westwood sports facilities.

Tesco is about 5 minutes walk from Westwood, making it the second closest halls to it (other than Claycroft, not available for first years this year), so you don't have to carry the food far.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending