The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Sakujo
Most just take your word for it, Kings does a form where you fill in details about work experience possibley in case they want to check if they feel you made it up.

Oh ok that's fine I guess. Would this just be work experience or would it include voluntary work. Say if you volunteered at a hospital. This may help me decide whether I go for King's or not. Such a small thing I know but I'm on the fence with King's so I need a small nudge either way.
Chilledice
To put it simply: MBBS=BMBS= MB BChir= BM BCh= MB BCh= MB ChB= MBBS= BM= M.B.B.S.

It's all the same, all UK medical schools are held to the highest standard by the GMC, it's just that some schools have the tradition of awarding their graduates a degree with a latin name instead of the english equivalent Chirurgiae is just latin for surgery!

this link is great for comparing medical schools

Except Peninsula Is not on that list, and the London ones are on there twice.
Reply 162
Scrubby
Oh ok that's fine I guess. Would this just be work experience or would it include voluntary work. Say if you volunteered at a hospital. This may help me decide whether I go for King's or not. Such a small thing I know but I'm on the fence with King's so I need a small nudge either way.

It includes, work experience, voluntaring and ECs but it shouldn't be something which you use to decide what uni to apply to, its just a small form asking for contact details. I don't think that they actually bother to follow it up unless they're suspicious.
vas876
Except Peninsula Is not on that list, and the London ones are on there twice.

Well if you want to be so negative, it has a few flaws, next time I just wont share what I find :p:
Scrubby
Right so it's St. Georges then. But that's good. I'm not going to make anything up but I am just going to put that I have been a member of SJA since September which is very true. What they wouldn't know is that I haven't actually been out on duty yet.

What happens when they ask you about what you've gained from being a member there?
Reply 165
Phalanges
What happens when they ask you about what you've gained from being a member there?

I've been going to meetings quite regularly so I know quite a bit about first aid, health and safety, procedures, forms, how to use a radio, teamwork etc. etc. And I'll be going out on duty once I get my damn ID sorted. Quite alot to discuss. Especially on the bureacracy. I'm surprised at the amount of forms first aid volunteers have to fill out for people they help and actually just to become a member and a first aider. I waited months for my induction training. And they still haven't managed to get me an ID after I filled out about 8 bloody forms.
Chilledice
Well if you want to be so negative, it has a few flaws, next time I just wont share what I find :p:

Pot everything always.! :P
Reply 167
hey guys i need some advice,
basically i got 4 rejections for medicine and an offer for human sciences at kings.
I've decided to take a gap year and apply again but my school is telling me i have to firm the human science offer "just incase" because its "not a given that they will let me reapply for medicine through the school". I guess what they mean is if i dont get 3 As which i think i will only because My AS's were all over 90% and i got 2 As in my january modules so i need DDC in june to get 3A's overall.
My schools teling me i have to firm it then i can decline the offer on results day- but i dont wnt to firm it because there is no way i want to do that course (i only applied in the first place because i wasnt sure about a gap year but now i defo want to take a gap year)
so my question is- is it a bad idea to firm it if im not going to do it?
will it look bad if i firm then decline it, and then apply to kings again (for med) during my gap year- as in would it be frowned upon?
im scared that if i dnt firm it my school wont support my reapplication and my UCAS advisor is sooo annoying- she just doesnt want to give the school a bad reputation by letting some students have no firm choice and make it look like everyone has a place at uni!
thanks
Mickyy
hey guys i need some advice,
basically i got 4 rejections for medicine and an offer for human sciences at kings.
I've decided to take a gap year and apply again but my school is telling me i have to firm the human science offer "just incase" because its "not a given that they will let me reapply for medicine through the school". I guess what they mean is if i dont get 3 As which i think i will only because My AS's were all over 90% and i got 2 As in my january modules so i need DDC in june to get 3A's overall.
My schools teling me i have to firm it then i can decline the offer on results day- but i dont wnt to firm it because there is no way i want to do that course (i only applied in the first place because i wasnt sure about a gap year but now i defo want to take a gap year)
so my question is- is it a bad idea to firm it if im not going to do it?
will it look bad if i firm then decline it, and then apply to kings again (for med) during my gap year- as in would it be frowned upon?
im scared that if i dnt firm it my school wont support my reapplication and my UCAS advisor is sooo annoying- she just doesnt want to give the school a bad reputation by letting some students have no firm choice and make it look like everyone has a place at uni!
thanks

If you are definitely going to take a gap year and definitely do not want to do the course you have an offer for.

Then do not firm it!

Even if you do miss the grades, 5 medical schools accept re-sits.
Reply 169
vas876
If you are definitely going to take a gap year and definitely do not want to do the course you have an offer for.

Then do not firm it!

Even if you do miss the grades, 5 medical schools accept re-sits.

My school are telling me i have to! i know they cant force me but they mite not support my reapplication if i dnt
Mickyy
My school are telling me i have to! i know they cant force me but they mite not support my reapplication if i dnt

Then just firm, and withdraw your application on results day.
Onychophagia
Barts never asked for any proof of my work experience/voluntary work. In fact, none of the unis did.

The only time, I believe, that you have to provide any evidence of anything whatsoever is when you enroll with your exam certificates.

That doesn't mean it's a good idea to make things up though. :p:

What happens I did O levels(equivalent to GCSE) then is a cerified letter from school enough?
*sageevan*
What happens I did O levels(equivalent to GCSE) then is a cerified letter from school enough?

As far as I'm aware, you still get official certificated exam results from the exam board for O level. I think the medical schools only accept original exam certificates.
quick re-applicant question: applying for 2011.. if i get 3 As (at least) will the fact that i got a D in one of my chem modules (long story!) and having to retake it disadvntage me in any med schools? i dunno if they look at indevidual module grades just curious! ta x
blonde-beth
quick re-applicant question: applying for 2011.. if i get 3 As (at least) will the fact that i got a D in one of my chem modules (long story!) and having to retake it disadvntage me in any med schools? i dunno if they look at indevidual module grades just curious! ta x

unless they change the rules; you don't need to declare module grades, just the overall ones. or so i have been lead to believe.
Reply 175
It said at Manchester something to the effect of "module grades would be appreciated", and obvs at Cambridge you have to give module marks
blonde-beth

Depends. Are you redoing it as a proper retake in your gap year, or is it more a retake of a AS module in y13?

If the latter, then you still did your A-level in two years. It doesn't matter. I got two D's in AS units (long story -_-; ) and redid them in y13. This is accepted by medical schools.

If you mean in your gap year after the two years, then this counts as resitting your A-levels, and you will have to apply as a resit candidate. Some universities state they do not accept 3rd year resits and others say only under extenuating circumstance so yes this would affect where you could apply.

In regards to having a D in a unit, if you have an A overall it shouldn't matter unless you are a borderline candidate and they might use it to disguish you from another application at some places but many med schools state they don't use module grades atm.
Reply 177
I was wondering if anyone that has been accepted into a Medical School recently can give me any form of advice?
Reply 178
:\ thanks.
Reply 179
What kind of advice are you after? Just the admissions process in general?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending