The Student Room Group

Can you drop a GCSE in the middle of Year 10?

Hey Everyone,
Its the middle of May and I'm doing my GCSEs.
The problem is I REALLY want to change one of my options. I want to change from Fashion to preferably Catering or Photography.(Or anything else) To be honest, I really have no idea why I chose Fashion. I wanted to pick a 'fun' subject, but i really hate it and I suck at it. In year 9, I picked Sociology, History, Fashion and Geography. I picked most Humanities because I am considering to study Law in Uni. (But thats not really the case). I am reeally hating fashion and its getting on my nerves. We only have about 5 girls in my class and they don't take it seriously. We have a new teacher and she doesnt seem to be a great teacher. The problem is I asked my tutor if it possible to change but she said there is no chance. I want to talk to my headteacher but I dont think ill be able to. Im reallly stressing. Pleasee help? Advice? thankss :smile: (p.s, im new hehehe)

Scroll to see replies

Heyya...i don't think you will be able to!

But hey, don't stress...work hard. get the grades you need.
Reply 2
Don't change fashion it is considered a "hard" subject along with science and maths and most universities love it on a GCSE result!! If possible, keep it at A level, creates a strong profile for jobs in law, dentistry, engineering, medicine etc.
Reply 3
its up to the school whether they let you drop it, i doubt that you will be able to swap onto a different subject though, consider if they will consider letting you do a half course in something, but dont worry your grades dont really matter once you start a-levels
It's really up to your school and if your headteacher says you can't then you probably can't. Just try to work hard at it and get a good grade it's ok if you don't do amazingly.
Theoretically, yes. I dropped Art in December of Year 11.
Reply 6
You'd have to ask your higher power (HOY or w/e it is these days)
Drop it, possibly. Change it, probably not.
Just stick with it, your grade in it won't matter once you get to A Level and it's a contrast to your other subjects :smile:
You'll be able to drop it. I dropped business at the start of Year 11. Also Spanish but that's because my new school didn't do it.
I always thought that Fashion would be a soft option but apparently it's really highly regarded. Or so I'm told anyway.
But really I'm sure it won't harm you dropping it.
Reply 9
Why would you drop a GCSE considering it doesn't take much work to complete it.
You could try.

I was able to drop music in the april of year 10 (teacher was just awful, which is annoying because I love music) and was able to pick up geography. So it is possible.

It just depends whether you would be willing to put a lot of work in, and whether the school would allow it.

You should ask if you want to seriously consider changing. The worst they can say is no.
You can easy drop it. But why bother? Suck it up, move on, get the work done, get the grade. Laugh at the lazy ******* who will spend their lives sponging off their parents or on drugs.
forsaker
Don't change fashion it is considered a "hard" subject along with science and maths and most universities love it on a GCSE result!! If possible, keep it at A level, creates a strong profile for jobs in law, dentistry, engineering, medicine etc.

I'm struggling to decide if you're serious about the A level bit....
Reply 13
Yes. My friend dropped her AS french the day before she was supposed to sit the final exam
You can drop it yes, they can't force you to go to the lesson or to take the exam. Whether or not they let you take up another subject instead I can't say. What I can say is that, being a year 10, they are unlikely to want you to have gaps in your time table for malarky so, assuming you express very strongly your hate for fashion and assuming you are at least slightly good at 'getting what you want', it shouldn't be too difficult at all.
FranticMind
You can easy drop it. But why bother? Suck it up, move on, get the work done, get the grade. Laugh at the lazy ******* who will spend their lives sponging off their parents or on drugs.

They'll be the ones laughing
Reply 16
You need to talk to your tutor who will help move things along. I dropped business studies for geography in December of Year 10. I had to have a meeting with the deputy head and catch up on about 8 or 9 weeks of lessons. They told me that they wouldn't normally allow it, but for some reason they let me move. Each school is different I suppose, but you're asking to switch to another subject almost half way through your GCSE. That's a lot of work to catch up on!
Wow, I've never heard of GCSE Fashion, only Textiles :curious:

They might let you drop it, I've heard of people dropping a subject at GCSE when it's not for them. Though, I've only heard of people actually switching subjects in the first term of Year 10 at the latest. Starting Photography or Catering GCSE now would mean you probably only have a year to complete, which they may or may not let you do. The only way you can truly find out is by speaking to your tutor or head of year. Good luck whatever happens :smile:
I think they'd probably let you drop it but not take another subject in its place, as you've probably missed loads. Sorry!
I was allowed to drop one of my gcse's in April of year 10- but I was only allowed to change it to a 'soft' subject so that they knew I would be able to catch up, I think you should go to your headteacher and ask at least because if you can convince them you will catch up over the summer then I don't see why they shouldn't let you...after all, I was on a C in my first subject, now aiming for A* in the one i changed it to so it's certainly worth trying to change it.

Latest