The Student Room Group

The best answers for "Why would you like to work for us"... ???

I had a telephone interview today and basically they just went through the questions in the application, but they also asked why would I like to work for them (in this case Debenhams).

That's a tough question specially when you only have a few seconds to think about the answer... All I can think of is kissing arse a bit saying what a great company it is or...? That seems a bit lame, are there any better ways of getting around this one? :woo:

I hope they do call meeeeee :adore:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Panzer Division
I had a telephone interview today and basically they just went through the questions in the application, but they also asked why would I like to work for them (in this case Debenhams).

That's a tough question specially when you only have a few seconds to think about the answer... All I can think of is kissing arse a bit saying what a great company it is or...? That seems a bit lame, are there any better ways of getting around this one? :woo:

Easies - They probably have some blurb on their website along the lines of "We're a really great company to work for, with a team-worky atmosphere and lots of opportunites for promotion" or some shiz like that.

Just repeat something like that when you're asked why you want to work for them. - This is for the shop floor type jobs.

If you were going into marketing, PR or buying for debenhams, then you'd obviously have to research the company a lot more thoroughly.
Reply 2
Hello and welcome to one of the most exciting fashion retailers in the UK

http://www.debenhams-jobs.com/

and lots lots more in this section
I find "Because I need the money" works, since it's being honest instead of giving them some rubbish that you don't really mean.

Well...it worked for my last interview anyway..
Reply 4
Because you would love to work for such a well established and respected company, you are looking for a challenging career that will push you to reach your full potential and Debenhams (or whoever) has the best grad schemes / development opportunities that will help you to do that - try to tailor it specifically to you and the company.
It wasn't a shop floor position, it was a window dressing type of job, that's a bit trickier...

Because you would love to work for such a well established and respected company, you are looking for a challenging career that will push you to reach your full potential and Debenhams

LOL who really talks like that? That's the sort of answer that looks great in paper but sounds real pompous :eek:
Reply 6
Tell the inteviewer its so you get to spend more time with them, then wink.

:sexface:
Reply 7
because i would like to work in your department for the purposes of losing all will to live and ending up on the scrapheap of life, and i believe that your department offers me many such opportunities to further my quest for these objectives.
OceanInTheSky
I find "Because I need the money" works, since it's being honest instead of giving them some rubbish that you don't really mean.

Well...it worked for my last interview anyway..

Same.

I don't know why any one bothers with all of the ''I want a challenge/I like teamwork'' answers these days - they know it's ********, you know it's ********, so what's the point?
People work to make money - simple.
Reply 9
Panzer Division
It wasn't a shop floor position, it was a window dressing type of job, that's a bit trickier...

LOL who really talks like that? That's the sort of answer that looks great in paper but sounds real pompous :eek:

Tell me about it! I hate having to say how I'd be great because blah blah blah, I'm really not the "look at how awesome I am!" type, but interviewers like hearing it :frown:
LOL I guess it's quite hard to come up with a decent substantial answer for a lame question!

In all honesty,

A) Because I need the money DUHHH

B)Because you seem like a fair employer and a decent department store although I'm new to this country and it doesn't really make a big difference whether it's Debenhams, New Look, H&M or Marks n Sparks as long as I get paid I'm not bothered :confused:

Why would I like that type of role, well that's a bit more realistic, but why Debenhams? :confused: :lolwut: Why not? LOL
Panzer Division

You need to ask yourself that question!

Why did you choose them in the first place, was it because you think the staff there were very friendly? Did staff give good customer service that you expected of them? The company itself, are they a reputable company?
Reply 12
"Aaah well I think the real question is, why do YOU want ME to work for YOU?"
Reply 13
I had a telephone interview with debenhams a while ago :awesome:
Boreism
You need to ask yourself that question!

Why did you choose them in the first place, was it because you think the staff there were very friendly? Did staff give good customer service that you expected of them? The company itself, are they a reputable company?

Why did you choose them in the first place, was it because you think the staff there were very friendly?
A= I've never had any contact with Debenham's staff before. It's not like all the other shops were offering the window dresser position and I was able to choose between several stores.

Did staff give good customer service that you expected of them?
A= I've never bought anything there, I've just been in Debenham's Bristol once and I was just looking

The company itself, are they a reputable company?
a= Yeah, it sounds like it?

As a job seeker in this recession... you don't have much choice do you? :cool: I applied for this job and I made a fairly good application because I got the right skills to be a visual assistant. There aren't many jobs like that going on around here. That's all there is to it. It could be Debenhams, M&S, House of Fraser, whatever. I just applied for it because it was the only company offering that kind of position, NOT because they're Debenhams.
Because I want the money and I picked your company because I was lucky enough to find out it had job vacancies.
Worked for me.
Reply 16
cause u rock
Reply 17
Ah man i hate that question. honestly, I don't mind if I work for you or one of the other 5 jobs I applied for, I just need a job and you have vacancies
i usually make some crap up about how i love the type of job and think I would make a difference here or something along those lines.
I have never yet actually applied for a job I genuinely want, just ones I can do so I can get some money coming in
Reply 18
Don't say:

"Because I need the money"

Don't say:

"<Insert management speak bullcrap here>"

Don't say:

"Because your company is sooo wonderful"

DO say:

"Because I enjoy doing x" where x is the thing you will be doing. For example, if you will be talking to customers, say "because I enjoy talking to customers and trying to help them with whatever problems they have. It's always a good feeling when they leave happy"
"Because I enjoy doing x" where x is the thing you will be doing. For example, if you will be talking to customers, say "because I enjoy talking to customers and trying to help them with whatever problems they have. It's always a good feeling when they leave happy"

That's a great answer for "Why did you apply for that position?", it doesn't say anything in particular about why do you want to work for a certain shop.

"I'd like to work for Debenhams because I enjoy talking to customers and trying to help them with whatever problems they have. It's always a good feeling when they leave happy" Yeah because Debenhams is the only shop in Britain where you have to talk to customers? :lolwut:

Quick Reply

Latest