The Student Room Group

Mechanics vs Statistics

This poll is closed

Which unit's are you taking for A-Level Maths?

C1 C2 C3 C4 S1 M135%
C1 C2 C3 C4 S1 D17%
C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 D111%
C1 C2 C3 C4 S1 S219%
C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 M228%
C1 C2 C3 C4 D1 D21%
Total votes: 75
Which do you find easier? Statistics or Mechanics?

Amongst my friends, there are some who find Mechanics far more enjoyable and easier. They tend to struggle with Statistics and find it ever so dull and boring. Statistics seems to be much easier and does'nt cause ones head to hurt either in comparison with Mechanics.

Universities prefer Mechanics modules over Statistics, does this mean an A-Level in Maths gained with just Statistics modules is less worthy?

Scroll to see replies

Mechanics 1 is easy :dunno: its just resolving and positive directions that can be a pain, but when you get used to it, its simple

Mechanics 2 however is horrible, can't seem to get my head fully round it =/
Well personally, I think this.

Engineers - Mechanics

Social scientists - Statistics
Reply 3
ThisIsAbsolution
Mechanics 1 is easy :dunno: its just resolving and positive directions that can be a pain, but when you get used to it, its simple

Mechanics 2 however is horrible, can't seem to get my head fully round it =/

I found M1 so much harder (compared to M2) :/
Reply 4
You should choose Mechanics or Stats in relation to what others subjects you wanna do. So if you want to take physics you should most definitely do mechanics. And stats goes with biology ( some say economics as well; I would beg to differ). But one thing I would say is that S1/S2 are easy! But M1 really helps with physics unit 1. So you've got to make a decision based on your accompanying subjects.
Reply 5
im going to say mechs, its far easier as you only have to remember small things to do and how to do it, where as stats you need to know a ton of rules, when, where and why they apply, its just all too much for me when compared to mechanics
Reply 6
I'm taking further maths, so I do M1, M2, M3, S1 and S2. Fun times for me :s-smilie:

I find stats horribly dull, and the stuff that you do just seems very pointless. I've also heard that university stats is completely different to A level stats, so there's no continuation in that respect.

Mecahnics is more useful in the way that it forces you to think harder, but M2 and M3, especially M3, are pretty hard especially now they've changed the style of exams so thats theres more 7,8,9 mark questions. I believe and A in M2 in January was 53/75 mark...

So either go for the easier and very dull stats, or the more useful mechanics which can get very difficult!
Reply 7
mechnaics once you know it thats it you could do most questions on it, but you do have to remember all the equations, M2 isnt that much harder than M1 but you do use M1 in it alot,
statistics is a lot easier to go wrong on because there are are so many numbers to process, S1 is easier than S2 but they are different enough that you could probably pass S2 without S1
decision is easy its just following processes and drawing lines on diagrams, D2 is a lot harder than D1 but theyre both pretty easy
I've done/am doing M1, M2, D1, D2 and S1 in terms of applied modules, and I think I do find Stats the easiest, but that's because I am really not a fan of Decision in the slightest and, while I do enjoy Mecahnics now, it took months and months to actually 'click' before I was comfortable with it.
Reply 9
I find Statistics to be far easier than Mechanics. It took quite a while to get to grips with Mechanics, it's very challenging to at first, although with practice it becomes easier. Statistics was very easy to self teach in comparison to Mechanics where I was quite challenged in some topics! :smile:
How are FP2, FP3, S1, S2, D1, M3, M4, M5? I am going to take them next year. Currently, I am doing C1 to C4, M1, M2, FP1, and I am not sure what D and S are about
Reply 11
intellectual1
Which do you find easier? Statistics or Mechanics?

Amongst my friends, there are some who find Mechanics far more enjoyable and easier. They tend to struggle with Statistics and find it ever so dull and boring. Statistics seems to be much easier and does'nt cause ones head to hurt either in comparison with Mechanics.

Universities prefer Mechanics modules over Statistics, does this mean an A-Level in Maths gained with just Statistics modules is less worthy?

I actually enjoyed M1 and therefore I put a lot of time into it and got a good mark in it. Statistics I didn't enjoy and just crammed for it right at the end and got almost as good mark as I did for M1 in it. So I'd generally say S1 was easier.
I've done M1, M2, M3, S1 and S2 (Maths and Further Maths) and I enjoyed the mechanics modules so much more. They're a little tough to get your head around at first, but you basically have to learn a few fomulae and then apply the same basic method to every single question. Easier in the long run, and I personally enjoyed them much more. Stats was sooo boring. There didn't seem to be much point in it, and every question is long and tedious. If you got one tiny part of it wrong, then the entire thing was wrong. Mechanics every time!
Zuzia Bulu
How are FP2, FP3, S1, S2, D1, M3, M4, M5? I am going to take them next year. Currently, I am doing C1 to C4, M1, M2, FP1, and I am not sure what D and S are about

S1 and S2 = deathly boring. It's basically a load of fomulae learning and then long and boring methods to find out a bunch of stuff that is rather irrelavant.

D1 = 'how can we find a stupidly long way to figure out something you could do in your head in 2 seconds?' It's all about finding paths, the longest and shortest routes, using algorithms to put stuff in alphabetical/numerical order. It's a load of **** really. But easy. Very very easy. (However this does mean that the raw marks get moved down a lot when they convert it into UMS.)

M3 = basically M1 and M2 with a bunch of new formulae added and some new interesting things like particles attached to stretchy strings and springs, going around in circles etc. If you liked M1 and M2, you'll like M3. It does use all of the integration you learn in C4, so if you didn't like that, then not all of it will be to your taste. But it's a good module. I enjoyed it.

FP2 = boring. It's similar to FP1. More stuff that doesn't exist, and new ways to draw graphs (coordinates not being x and y). If you liked FP1, then you'll probably like FP2. I just hated them both.

Can't say anything about the others as I haven't done them. But I hope that's helpful, and doesn't put you off too much!
Mrs Cullen
I've done M1, M2, M3, S1 and S2 (Maths and Further Maths) and I enjoyed the mechanics modules so much more. They're a little tough to get your head around at first, but you basically have to learn a few fomulae and then apply the same basic method to every single question. Easier in the long run, and I personally enjoyed them much more. Stats was sooo boring. There didn't seem to be much point in it, and every question is long and tedious. If you got one tiny part of it wrong, then the entire thing was wrong. Mechanics every time!

I agree, although I haven't studied Statistics. Mechanics is very interesting. However, I have to take Statistics and Decision next year (S1, S2, D1 are compulsory for all students taking Maths and Further Maths in my college). Can you describe for me what they are about?
Zuzia Bulu
I agree, although I haven't studied Statistics. Mechanics is very interesting. However, I have to take Statistics and Decision next year (S1, S2, D1 are compulsory for all students taking Maths and Further Maths in my college). Can you describe for me what they are about?

Have you seen my above post? :smile:

I can go into more detail though if you'd like?
Reply 16
Mechanics :headbang:
Statistics is so much easier. Being a further mathematician, I do both.
at18
Mechanics :headbang:

For some reason i find that guy ******* hilarious.
Mrs Cullen
S1 and S2 = deathly boring. It's basically a load of fomulae learning and then long and boring methods to find out a bunch of stuff that is rather irrelavant.

D1 = 'how can we find a stupidly long way to figure out something you could do in your head in 2 seconds?' It's all about finding paths, the longest and shortest routes, using algorithms to put stuff in alphabetical/numerical order. It's a load of **** really. But easy. Very very easy. (However this does mean that the raw marks get moved down a lot when they convert it into UMS.)

M3 = basically M1 and M2 with a bunch of new formulae added and some new interesting things like particles attached to stretchy strings and springs, going around in circles etc. If you liked M1 and M2, you'll like M3. It does use all of the integration you learn in C4, so if you didn't like that, then not all of it will be to your taste. But it's a good module. I enjoyed it.

FP2 = boring. It's similar to FP1. More stuff that doesn't exist, and new ways to draw graphs (coordinates not being x and y). If you liked FP1, then you'll probably like FP2. I just hated them both.

Can't say anything about the others as I haven't done them. But I hope that's helpful, and doesn't put you off too much!

Thank you so much! I enjoy Mechanics a lot and I am looking forward to study M3, M4, M5. C4 is quite interesting, too. But FP1 is a bit boring, like C1.

Latest