The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Guide to Canterbury's Nightlife

Scroll to see replies

Unfortunately I just received notification from a mod that my thread opening post is too big and as a result I've managed to break TSR's post character limit so I can no longer update the post with more details of pubs and bars. Fortunately it's mostly complete already so if you want more details then post in the thread peeps! :biggrin:

SCRAP that! The mods have kindly graced me with some extra posts so it's all broken up now! :-D
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Faustus Fotherby
Unfortunately I just received notification from a mod that my thread opening post is too big and as a result I've managed to break TSR's post character limit so I can no longer update the post with more details of pubs and bars. Fortunately it's mostly complete already so if you want more details then post in the thread peeps! :biggrin:

SCRAP that! The mods have kindly graced me with some extra posts so it's all broken up now! :-D

Hahah, it was bloody long!
Faustus Fotherby
Yeh too true on the Rutherford menu, it used to be bigger last year but there's basically nothing on it now and the serving times have been truly horrific on occasions (35 minutes for a panini?).

Thanks for reminding me about the Stack Burger and Woody's food in general, forgot to put that in.

My boyfriend is the general manager of Rutherford Bar and Woodys so I must admit I'm biased! :P BUT!.. It's true the Rutherford Menu wasn't much at the start of the year when he took over but it's been completely redone and it definitely serves more paninis, baguettes and wraps than any other place on campus and also does really good salads, and tapas type food. It's a good menu, you can't say there's basically nothing on it!
And also.. there are secret plans for big improvement in the menus for next year :wink:
xxx
Just added some details for The Dolphin, The Parrot and Bishop's Finger - there's also one just off the Whitstable Road (just past the level crossing on your way up to the uni) that I really want to get some details on.
Reply 44
A new pub quite near Beercart has opened kinda recently. The Three Tuns, just another pub kinda pub, fair amount of room, and usually quiet as noone knows about it yet.

EDIT: And not even a mention of Orange Street? Shame on you :P

Also, the rose and crown? have no idea what it's like but I occasionally hear music coming from it? On St Dunstans vy the mini roundabout (the one that isn't monument).

Also^2, next to where Coffee and Corks used to be The Bell And Crown has the occasional good night out :smile:

Also, you write all that up with no mention of the Old Brewery Tavern?
Twozzok
A new pub quite near Beercart has opened kinda recently. The Three Tuns, just another pub kinda pub, fair amount of room, and usually quiet as noone knows about it yet.

EDIT: And not even a mention of Orange Street? Shame on you :P

Also, the rose and crown? have no idea what it's like but I occasionally hear music coming from it? On St Dunstans vy the mini roundabout (the one that isn't monument).

Also^2, next to where Coffee and Corks used to be The Bell And Crown has the occasional good night out :smile:

Also, you write all that up with no mention of the Old Brewery Tavern?

Christ you're so right I'll do all those now.
Your guide is making me even more excited about coming down to canterbury!! :-)
mattyjonesuk
Your guide is making me even more excited about coming down to canterbury!! :-)

On that note, I realised I never actually wrote a "My Review" section for the sort of overall impression you get out of Canterbury nightlife. I'll go do that now.
Reply 48
Correct me if I am wrong, do the nightclubs at Catenbury shut by 2am?
Haris.gul
Correct me if I am wrong, do the nightclubs at Catenbury shut by 2am?

Correct. :sadnod:
Mmm yeh the 2am thing... that's in my final review section I believe.

Edit: Ooops no it's not but I'll find somewhere to put it in at some point.
Reply 51
fallen angel9
Correct. :sadnod:

Well that sucks :thumbsdown:
Reply 52
You missed out the White Hart by the Dane John! Perfect place to escape everyone and have a fairly standard priced pint in the heated garden whilst watching some Sky Sports.

Also the Big Night Out Company under 'other events' which does trips to London etc..
www.thebignightoutcompany.co.uk
Reply 53
Ahhh as you've got no info about the Hobgoblin I suppose I can help.

It's again deceively large, extending through the front room to a second, generally quieter back area and a garden. Drink prices are standard and there's a constant 10% student discount, which also applies to the Thai food they do. The Hobgoblin I suppose is a rock-orientated pub, but not to the extent of the Lady Luck. It's also one of the few pubs that sell bottled Desperado (light lager and tequila) and is thus worth taking advantage of. Atmosphere is generally very friendly despite the sometimes scary looking barstaff, and all in all it's a fantastic place to drink with a bit of cash.
BenjyUK
Ahhh as you've got no info about the Hobgoblin I suppose I can help.

It's again deceively large, extending through the front room to a second, generally quieter back area and a garden. Drink prices are standard and there's a constant 10% student discount, which also applies to the Thai food they do. The Hobgoblin I suppose is a rock-orientated pub, but not to the extent of the Lady Luck. It's also one of the few pubs that sell bottled Desperado (light lager and tequila) and is thus worth taking advantage of. Atmosphere is generally very friendly despite the sometimes scary looking barstaff, and all in all it's a fantastic place to drink with a bit of cash.

I've added in the details of those two, thanks for that! :smile:

As for the barstaff in the Hobgoblin there was a very attractive (if clearly rock-styled) girl serving on the bar the last time I was in there. Not scary at all! :p:

You missed out the White Hart by the Dane John! Perfect place to escape everyone and have a fairly standard priced pint in the heated garden whilst watching some Sky Sports.

The where by the where?!
Reply 55
Faustus Fotherby

The where by the where?!

Haha, The Dane John is the large park area opposite the bus station! And the White Hart itself is on the Wincheap side of the park :smile:
Reply 56
I was going through YouTube and found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQcZzKcA2q4&feature=related

Obviously they are not all the bars at Kent, but better than nothing, yeah?
Haris.gul
I was going through YouTube and found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQcZzKcA2q4&feature=related

Obviously they are not all the bars at Kent, but better than nothing, yeah?

Only a few seconds in and I started laughing. Some footage of people just sitting there eating or working with the caption 'Lively Atmosphere', haha.
Reply 58
katebushfan
Only a few seconds in and I started laughing. Some footage of people just sitting there eating or working with the caption 'Lively Atmosphere', haha.

haha who really cares about the captions and the comments, I just wanted to see how the bar looked really :p:
katebushfan

You're right, a real 'Lively Atmosphere' would involve someone suddenly standing up and hurling the table across the room then picking up a nearby bnowl of custard and attempting to drink it by holding it over their head at arm's length and pouring it into their mouth while the onlookers chanted "CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG!"

No joke, the second half of what I just described actually did happen in Reading University's dining hall while I was there on an open day. No tables were thrown however.

Quick Reply