The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Some Irish girls can be hot...Depends on the accent and how much alchohol they consume.
No, we don't.

Very few Irish people who live in Ireland will date outside their own race. It's slightly more common among those living abroad, but not much. Unfortunately, Ireland is still quite a racist country, and having mixed race babies causes a lot of idiots to cause a lot of **** for people at home.

Sad, but true.
Reply 3
They only tend to marry Asians for the most part, but I've never heard of scots dating interracially.
Reply 4
:d:d
Reply 5
coconutgrove
This is not a post to spark a huge racism debate, but I was wondering if anyone had notice that irish people seem to date outside of their race a lot? Both me and my mum have commented on this, was wondering if someone else had noticed?

In my experience racism isn't anywhere as big in Ireland as in the U.K. or other countries (it does exist of course). So maybe that explains Irish attitudes from Ireland (Republic).
In Northern Ireland people are probably more worried about politics (and religion in the past) than skin colour.
People of Irish decent would have heard stories from their parents, grandparents and collective group memories of discrimination and racism against the Irish in various countries around the World.

Maybe that explains it. At least one of my English cousins (Irish parents) is married to an Englishman of Albaninan stock, several others are going out with English both black and white. Here in Ireland one of my cousins is going out with a Polish girl, another with an English lad, another used to go out with an Indian lad. My American (Irish) second cousins are married to African Americans. I have gone out with Australian, Dutch, German and Kenyan-Maori mix!!!

Outside of the English speaking World, 600,000 Irish-Mexicans, 600,000 Irish-Argentines, 500,000 Irish-French & 500,000 Irish-Germans & Monserrettes population are all a 50-50 Irish-African mix.
Reply 6
horsebox
In my experience racism isn't anywhere as big in Ireland as in the U.K. or other countries (it does exist of course). So maybe that explains Irish attitudes from Ireland (Republic).
In Northern Ireland people are probably more worried about politics (and religion in the past) than skin colour.
People of Irish decent would have heard stories from their parents, grandparents and collective group memories of discrimination and racism against the Irish in various countries around the World.

This is exactly what my mum said. My family is of indian descent, and she said to me that she thinks that irish and indian culture actually has a lot of similarities, as they are both family oriented, and both cultures haven't had it too easy. When she came to this country from india, she said that she always found irish people very welcoming to her, and have found them to be openminded and very down to earth people.

She reasoned this by then saying that irish people have not always had the easiest times, which is why she thinks as a whole they tend to be quite open minded, and ready to embrace other cultures.
Reply 7
coconutgrove
This is exactly what my mum said. My family is of indian descent, and she said to me that she thinks that irish and indian culture actually has a lot of similarities, as they are both family oriented, and both cultures haven't had it too easy. When she came to this country from india, she said that she always found irish people very welcoming to her, and have found them to be openminded and very down to earth people.

She reasoned this by then saying that irish people have not always had the easiest times, which is why she thinks as a whole they tend to be quite open minded, and ready to embrace other cultures.

Someone above did say their was more racism in Ireland than I would agree, but when people in Ireland say racist things on tv or anywhere else to be honest more than often several other people around them tend to tell them they are a disgrace and go on about 800 years off oppression, signs in New York in London saying "No Dogs, No Blacks, No Irish", famines, penal laws, emmigration, distruction of Gaelic culture, racist comments on UK or Australian or American tv/papers, etc. etc. etc. when you getting blamed for all that, you would be a brave man or woman to continue to say racist things, ha ha :biggrin: You might even get blammed for Thierry Henrys handball :biggrin:

But I will say one thing I think most of our white taxi-drivers seem to be racist, I think thats where all the Irish racists seem to have ended up.
Nambat
Some Irish girls can be hot...Depends on the accent and how much alchohol barrels they consume.

fixed
Reply 9
horsebox

Maybe that explains it. At least one of my English cousins (Irish parents) is married to an Englishman of Albaninan stock, several others are going out with English both black and white. Here in Ireland one of my cousins is going out with a Polish girl, another with an English lad, another used to go out with an Indian lad. My American (Irish) second cousins are married to African Americans. I have gone out with Australian, Dutch, German and Kenyan-Maori mix!!!

Outside of the English speaking World, 600,000 Irish-Mexicans, 600,000 Irish-Argentines, 500,000 Irish-French & 500,000 Irish-Germans & Monserrettes population are all a 50-50 Irish-African mix.

Actually, I lived in Dublin for 5 years and found it to be extremely racist. Why? Because there are a lot of 'foreigners' in Dublin, due to it being English-speaking and the Celtic Tiger. When the economic bubble started to burst whilst I was over there, the amount of racist backlash, particularly towards Chinese and Polish workers was absolutely disgusting.

Obviously the rest of Ireland isn't as racist. That's because compared to somewhere like France or the UK, there is a much smaller percentage of foreigners, and in much less concentrated pockets.

Racism isn't a problem if you don't have to deal with it. I'm not a racist personally, but it makes sense to me that you will have more racists in places that have been heavily affected by immigration.
Reply 10
coconutgrove
This is not a post to spark a huge racism debate, but I was wondering if anyone had notice that irish people seem to date outside of their race a lot? Both me and my mum have commented on this, was wondering if someone else had noticed?

how many potatoes does it take to kill an irishman?

Spoiler

might b onto something here...my dad's gf is hungarian, my aunts husband is scottish and my uncles wife is australian!!
Reply 12
Kiwiguy
how many potatoes does it take to kill an irishman?

Very good a Spud joke :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_(Ireland)
Reply 13
irish history is so embarrassing
Reply 14
smiley_colly
might b onto something here...my dad's gf is hungarian, my aunts husband is scottish and my uncles wife is australian!!

Maybe Irish are just racist against other Irish! :wink:
Reply 15
Rocious
irish history is so embarrassing

How so, which party? All of it!
Reply 16
I hope they do because Irish accents on women are bloody sexy. I especially like the ones with black hair and blue eyes, it's a really good look.
Reply 17
horsebox
How so, which party? All of it!

if you ignore all the shenanigans in that part of britain that thinks it's ireland, the nineties weren't so bad.

everything else is a bit of a joke.

also what does interracial dating even mean because i wasn't aware i was a different race to your average australian person.. :/

or scot for that matter.
Reply 18
Rocious
if you ignore all the shenanigans in that part of britain that thinks it's ireland, the nineties weren't so bad.

everything else is a bit of a joke.

also what does interracial dating even mean because i wasn't aware i was a different race to your average australian person.. :/

or scot for that matter.

Don't you mean that part of the United Kingdom that has a sizable minorty (40%+) that wishes to unify with the Irish State (Eire/Ireland) and has a slight majority that want to retain the Union with Great Britain rather than Britain (it being an entirely different island to the island of Ireland.) :rolleyes:

How is everything else a joke? Bit of a sweeping statement, is it just Irish history that is a joke, or is it all countries history? Which parts specifically, you seem very vague on the subject.

The definition of race has varied throughout history. It is not so long ago since Irish people where not considered White. Luck up Punch Magazine and anti-Irish racism.

Well many Austrailians are Indigenous, East Asian, European, South Asian, Semites, African, Polonesian, Melenesion by the way.

Scot is an old word for Irish I suppose :wink:
Reply 19
britain's the country and great britain's the island

britain = united kingdom of great britain and northern ireland

northern ireland's a part of britain

Latest