The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Uni of Hull '10/11: Thwaite Hall or the Lawns?

Hiya,

I'm starting at the Uni of Hull in September 2010 and I'm getting my accomodation pack sent through soon. So far, what I've narrowed it down to is semi-catered at the Lawns and Thwaite Hall. I really love the look of Thwaite Hall but I've heard that you'll be better off socially if you go to The Lawns (largely because there are more 1st years there). I know it depends on what you're like a a person and I realise that everone will be biased but right now any insight into this would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank yooou :smile:

Harri

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thwaite !
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Lawns

Thwaite is for posh kids

Lawns is where all the cool kids live, simple as

I'd be pleased with either TBF but Lawns is better
Reply 3
Thwaite is lovely grounds, but is much more expensive, so more of your student loan on rent and less on other very important stuff... like shoes... and social! Its a different type of community to the lawns.

I lived at the Lawns and really loved my time there. Yeah ok the food isnt gourmet, and ok the buildings may not look HUGELY appealing, but the atmosphere is great and its where the large majority of the first years are. when you're meeting people on your course - chances are the most of them will be at the lawns.
Reply 4
. sav
Thwaite is lovely grounds, but is much more expensive, so more of your student loan on rent and less on other very important stuff... like shoes... and social! Its a different type of community to the lawns.

I lived at the Lawns and really loved my time there. Yeah ok the food isnt gourmet, and ok the buildings may not look HUGELY appealing, but the atmosphere is great and its where the large majority of the first years are. when you're meeting people on your course - chances are the most of them will be at the lawns.

In what aspect is it a different type of community? I'm just deciding between the two at the minute. I'm not really a big going out type of person, unless it's pubs... I like pubs.
-Bailey-
In what aspect is it a different type of community? I'm just deciding between the two at the minute. I'm not really a big going out type of person, unless it's pubs... I like pubs.

Well the Lawns has got it's own student bar. Very cheap and it's got pool, snooker, and does pub quizzes twice a week.

I don;t know if Thwaite has got anything like that.
Reply 6
Hands down, go for the lawns.
Reply 7
is thwaite very rah rah gap yah?
Reply 8
. sav

Thank you, this was very helpful :smile:
Reply 9
nihility
is thwaite very rah rah gap yah?

without wanting to be stereotyping.... there are more rah rah gap yahs in thwaite than in the lawns, but not exclusively.
Reply 10
-Bailey-

Thwaite is much much much smaller than The Lawns. As thus, you'll recognise every persons face after a month or two. It doesnt have a bar and is further from the Cottingham village shops. As such, the wardens etc at Thwaite try and organise alternate events so its quite close knit, and it makes me think of boarding school / Oxbridge colleges type atmosphere.

At the lawns you're left to your own. You've loads more people around you, there is a bar on site and the local shops are 5-10min walk. If you Google Map "The Lawns, Harland Way, Cottingham" you can put the little street view man right at the entrance of the lawns and see how massive the free carpark is, and how set away from the road the lawns halls are. Just on the normal map view, you can see the expanse of green around that you can BBQ, play football, etc on. The buildings arent as nearly attractive as Thwaite, but lets face it. Who's at uni for the architecture?
Reply 11
. sav
Thwaite is much much much smaller than The Lawns. As thus, you'll recognise every persons face after a month or two. It doesnt have a bar and is further from the Cottingham village shops. As such, the wardens etc at Thwaite try and organise alternate events so its quite close knit, and it makes me think of boarding school / Oxbridge colleges type atmosphere.

At the lawns you're left to your own. You've loads more people around you, there is a bar on site and the local shops are 5-10min walk. If you Google Map "The Lawns, Harland Way, Cottingham" you can put the little street view man right at the entrance of the lawns and see how massive the free carpark is, and how set away from the road the lawns halls are. Just on the normal map view, you can see the expanse of green around that you can BBQ, play football, etc on. The buildings arent as nearly attractive as Thwaite, but lets face it. Who's at uni for the architecture?

Idiots... That's who

Oh and you missed out that the bus ALWAYS without fail, just drives straight past Thwaite, because it's full of Lawns students. So unless you wanna walk into Uni everyday, go to The Lawns.
zKlown
Idiots... That's who

Oh and you missed out that the bus ALWAYS without fail, just drives straight past Thwaite, because it's full of Lawns students. So unless you wanna walk into Uni everyday, go to The Lawns.

What about Needler hall? Thwaite is too expensive for me, and Lawns seems way open and scary. I am so nervous any advice?
Reply 13
starts in A - ends
What about Needler hall? Thwaite is too expensive for me, and Lawns seems way open and scary. I am so nervous any advice?

Nowhere is bad, it's the friends you make that make where your staying good or bad really, trust me on that...

Lawns is not scary though, Needler isn't bad either really...
zKlown
Idiots... That's who

That's a bit of an exaggeration. And anyone who's smart will pick up on which days and times are the busy ones so get an earlier bus.
starts in A - ends

Apparently Needler is quite close-knit, like Thwaite, because it's small, and you end up knowing everyone's names after a while. So if that's the kind of thing you want but without the cost of Thwaite then go for it. Disadvantages are that, in my opinion, it's not as nice as the other two and dinner is only served for half an hour whereas at The Lawns it's served for 2. But it's also closer to the shops (and more importantly, free cash machines, which are non-existent at the Lawns :mad:)
zKlown
Nowhere is bad, it's the friends you make that make where your staying good or bad really, trust me on that...

Lawns is not scary though, Needler isn't bad either really...

Thank you :smile:
catoutofthebag
Apparently Needler is quite close-knit, like Thwaite, because it's small, and you end up knowing everyone's names after a while. So if that's the kind of thing you want but without the cost of Thwaite then go for it. Disadvantages are that, in my opinion, it's not as nice as the other two and dinner is only served for half an hour whereas at The Lawns it's served for 2. But it's also closer to the shops (and more importantly, free cash machines, which are non-existent at the Lawns :mad:)

Thanks for your reply :smile:
Reply 18
Go for the Lawns, i've lived here for a year and if you want to live the proper student life come to the Lawns. Lawns Bar is one of the best places for drinking, cheap drinks and there is ALWAYS sport on tv, mostly football.
Reply 19
Hi,

Im starting at Hull in sep 2010 and had the same prob not knowing what all the accommodation would be like. Very useful to see more honest opinions on here then the uni packs lol. I've got a room in Needler, but I like going out as much as the next person, and im not exactly quiet...am I screwed??

Help! x

Quick Reply