The Student Room Group

How do I fix my mp3 player?

Earlier today I was listening to my mp3 player on the bus, it had been charged the night before and was working fine. When I went to Tescos to get some lunch however, I changed track, then it froze and crashed a few minutes later.

It hasn't turned on since, I've tried slotting it into the computer via its USB but the computer doesn't recognise it. I've inserted a pin into the reset button at the back, but no change, it still won't turn on. I can't think of anything else I can do.

I'm planning on getting an iPod Touch soon anyway, but over the last few days I've downloaded some music onto it which I hadn't saved anywhere else, I don't want to have to go and find it all again.

It's a Bush FM6726 and it's not particularly old either.

I'd really appreciate any help you can give and any useful advice gets rep.

Please note: I know very little about technology, so not too much jargon please :wink:

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't take this as fact but maybe the song you tried to load was a corrupt file? I have done that before and royally screwed my mp3 player.
Reply 2
Dnator
Don't take this as fact but maybe the song you tried to load was a corrupt file? I have done that before and royally screwed my mp3 player.

Hmm, it's possible I suppose. In that case what could I do about it?

I'd played the song tonnes of times before, it had never had any problems with it :erm:
Reply 3
When that happens to me, I wait for it to completely discharge and then try resetting and recharging. Usually works. Unless it's completely ******. Though if it randomly froze, chances are it should be okay.
Reply 4
This won't really help but generally speaking (juding from several personal experiences) mp3 players which aren't ipods (or zunes) tend to have poor build quality and break not long after purchase.
I got one once which stopped working as an mp3 before the end of the month, and for a while could be used as a memory stick until it finally stopped working for good.
Another one had a constant crackle when music was played.

My advice: get an ipod a little sooner than you were planning. It IS worth the money!
Reply 5
Bang it against a wall!
Reply 6
In Soviet Russia, Mp3 Player fix you! :russia:

Ontopic: - Have you tried switching it off and on again?

No no, seriously Ontopic: - I have no idea im sorry :sad:
Reply 7
facetious
Bang it against a wall!

Tried that on a desk, didn't help.

JessicaW
When that happens to me, I wait for it to completely discharge and then try resetting and recharging. Usually works. Unless it's completely ******. Though if it randomly froze, chances are it should be okay.

What is "discharging"? Is it when you just let leave it on till it dies? :dunce:

That would be a plan, except it refuses to turn on :sad:

Manitude
This won't really help but generally speaking (juding from several personal experiences) mp3 players which aren't ipods (or zunes) tend to have poor build quality and break not long after purchase.
I got one once which stopped working as an mp3 before the end of the month, and for a while could be used as a memory stick until it finally stopped working for good.
Another one had a constant crackle when music was played.

My advice: get an ipod a little sooner than you were planning. It IS worth the money!

This is also very true, it's a piece of junk and I'm definitely getting an iPod Touch after exams, but like I say, I'd like to try and rescue some of my files so I don't have to go download and convert them all again :facepalm2:
Reply 8
1) plug it into your pc and do a hardrive scan on it.

2) Turn of your pc completely unplug all the power cables everything for a few minutes and try again.

3) Use another usb cable --> had the same problem myself a week ago, changed the usb cable and now my mp3 players working :smile:

4) You can get usb plug chargers try using that and see if it makes a difference, like a jumpstart type thing.

:smile:
facetious
Bang it against a wall!

Exactly what I was going to say! Hitting it usually works for me :wink:

JessicaW

This is more likely to help to be honest. :biggrin:

EDIT: Cursing it might make you feel a bit better, even if it does nothing in the long term :wink: Maybe you should take it to pieces??
Reply 10
Does it have one of those reset holes that you have to poke with a pin/needle to reset it? If so, poke away. If not, I don't know.
Reply 11
Democracy
Tried that on a desk, didn't help.

What is "discharging"? Is it when you just let leave it on till it dies? :dunce:

That would be a plan, except it refuses to turn on :sad:

This is also very true, it's a piece of junk and I'm definitely getting an iPod Touch after exams, but like I say, I'd like to try and rescue some of my files so I don't have to go download and convert them all again :facepalm2:

Yes, leave it to die completely.

Well, when mine hasn't been turning off, doing that usually works. Mine used to freeze every time my brother touched it, but when I left it to discharge and recharge, it would work fine.
Myth717

2) Turn of your pc completely unplug all the power cables everything for a few minutes and try again.

3) Use another usb cable --> had the same problem myself a week ago, changed the usb cable and now my mp3 players working :smile:

4) You can get usb plug chargers try using that and see if it makes a difference, like a jumpstart type thing.

Lol, what exactly is that supposed to achieve? Or are you just making stuff up?
Reply 13
RollerBall
Lol, what exactly is that supposed to achieve? Or are you just making stuff up?

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/usb-device-not-recognized/

Scroll a little down the page and you'll see it in bold. I've seen this before in terms of my mp3 players and yes it did work...
Reply 14
ColdVein
Does it have one of those reset holes that you have to poke with a pin/needle to reset it? If so, poke away. If not, I don't know.

Tried, didn't do anything :frown:

Myth717

No, I've tried several computers (I'm in the library), none of them recognise it. It usually turns itself on when its inserted into a USB port, but absolutely no reaction today.

Is it possible to do the scan when it won't turn on/isn't recognised? :dunce:
Myth717
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/usb-device-not-recognized/

Scroll a little down the page and you'll see it in bold. I've seen this before in terms of my mp3 players and yes it did work...

It's not a USB not recognised error. It's like a brick. No input from windows.
Reply 16
Democracy
Tried, didn't do anything :frown:

No, I've tried several computers (I'm in the library), none of them recognise it. It usually turns itself on when its inserted into a USB port, but absolutely no reaction today.

Is it possible to do the scan when it won't turn on/isn't recognised? :dunce:

Ye, try the scan even if it isn't recognised, I've gone through literally about 40 mp3 players in my life time lol
Reply 17
RollerBall
It's not a USB not recognised error. It's like a brick. No input from windows.

Exactly therefore if he removes his motherboard and inserts it again It might just work,

Op did it come with a cd ?
Reply 18
Myth717
Exactly therefore if he removes his motherboard and inserts it again It might just work,

I'm on a library computer :p:

Nope, it's just a memory stick mp3 player, you just insert it into the USB port and drag and drop files.
Myth717

o.O

Wut?

Latest

Trending

Trending