The Student Room Group

where can my A-Levels take me?

hey, i have two questions:
1) I'm year 11 and doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry and geography next year and was just wondering which jobs/degrees i could get with these. i used to want to do engineering but am not too sure now, never was.
when i was choosing my a-levels i was either going to go for a business/economics route or science, i eventually went for the science route because it was safer and because my school didn't offer economics at a-level.

2) I'm really worried about a-levels maths next year, currently at a grade B and will most likely get that as my final grade at GCSE. and i was wondering if i would be able to change my subject from maths to another at a-level within the first month because i might not be able to cope, i was told by a friend that i should not just drop a whole subject because i would need "the points", whatever that means...

so basically:
1) what jobs/degrees can i get my with Maths, Physics, Chemistry and geography A-levels
2) can i change an A-level subject within the first month/week if i find it too hard or hate it
Reply 1
For your second question, you can normally change a subject within the first couple of weeks but some colleges or 6th forms may make you give them a solid reason for doing so.
Reply 2
Mate if your worried about maths, please please plase change it. I didn't, ignored my gut feeling and am now looking at failing an entire year of AS maths. Try it for a week, if you dont like it. Drop it. Don't just leave it for a few months and see where it takes you. and yes, you can change it may have to be in the same kinda option block though which may have limited choices. Depends if your going to a big college or a 6th form or whatever.
wludeen

so basically:
1) what jobs/degrees can i get my with Maths, Physics, Chemistry and geography A-levels
2) can i change an A-level subject within the first month/week if i find it too hard or hate it

1) Well, your options are obviously science based so anything 'sciency' - Dentistry, Immunology, Microbiology (some unis might require bio I'm not sure, I know some that don't though) Medicine, Pharmacology.. Also Geoscience/Geology, Computer Science, Accounting. Then there's degrees which don't require specific subjects at all like Psychology, Sociology, Law, Ancient History (although History is preferred)

2) Yeap, you don't even have to find it hard to drop it. If you genuinely think you made the wrong decision then they'll allow you to drop it. You can also drop it at any point during your AS year - just be aware that if you do you won't be able to take up another AS. So if you're sure you don't want to do a certain subject it's better to drop it early on so you can pick up another.

What subject would you take up instead of Maths?
Marshmellow.
1) Well, your options are obviously science based so anything 'sciency' - Dentistry, Immunology, Microbiology (some unis might require bio I'm not sure, I know some that don't though) Medicine, Pharmacology.. Also Geoscience/Geology, Computer Science, Accounting. Then there's degrees which don't require specific subjects at all like Psychology, Sociology, Law, Ancient History (although History is preferred)

2) Yeap, you don't even have to find it hard to drop it. If you genuinely think you made the wrong decision then they'll allow you to drop it. You can also drop it at any point during your AS year - just be aware that if you do you won't be able to take up another AS. So if you're sure you don't want to do a certain subject it's better to drop it early on so you can pick up another.

What subject would you take up instead of Maths?

Incorrect, please don't make blanket statements like that. It will be at the discretion of the school/college whether or not you are able to take up a new A level, often depending on a variety of factors: how able they feel you are etc. Some will let you, some won't but there is certainly not a 'one size fits all' answer as each situation will be different - unless you drop it after the deadline by which you need be registered for exams but, as this is not exactly 'early on' you didn't make the distinction pronounced enough to be obvious to the OP, so thought I would refine it for you. =]

The rest of the post is good though and while you can drop it reasonably late on, doing so earlier will certainly maximise your chances of being allowed to take another, and of doing well in the new AS. You don't want to waste your time, after all.
as it seems, what with universities disregarding resits, A levels can appear to take you on a magical shuttle that will "seemingly" surpass all your hopes and dreams

then it will crash and you will be lucky to get work as a gardener
paddy__power

Sorry, yes, I meant after a long period of time you would not be able to pick up another AS e.g. halfway through the year, which is indeed when a number of people decide a subject is becoming too challenging. So I would advise, OP, to drop a subject earlier rather than later if you are already predicting that you will struggle.
Reply 7
Grade B Maths! Unless you could really improve your Maths over the Summer I'd think very seriously about studying Chemistry or Physics (which are essentially applied Maths) let alone Maths. Nb you've chosen some of the hardest A levels there so I would suggest only taking them if you're really willing to put the work in.
EricCartman22
as it seems, what with universities disregarding resits

lolwhat
Marshmellow.
Sorry, yes, I meant after a long period of time you would not be able to pick up another AS e.g. halfway through the year, which is indeed when a number of people decide a subject is becoming too challenging. So I would advise, OP, to drop a subject earlier rather than later if you are already predicting that you will struggle.

Still incorrect though, at any point up until the deadline one could theoretically still be entered for another AS, although the probability of this decreases the closer to the deadline you get.

Your advice is sound though, I completely agree - but would give it a few weeks and see how it goes. =]
paddy__power
Still incorrect though, at any point up until the deadline one could theoretically still be entered for another AS, although the probability of this decreases the closer to the deadline you get.

Your advice is sound though, I completely agree - but would give it a few weeks and see how it goes. =]

Ah I see. Apologies. :smile:
Marshmellow.
Ah I see. Apologies. :smile:

No need to apologise, =]
hell!
Reply 13
thanks for the answers, some were helpful

Latest