The Student Room Group

Bloomberg Global Data Internship

Hi there,

I am starting an internship in the Global Data department at Bloomberg this summer. I would like some advice/info from anyone who has experience of this internship or of working at Bloomberg in general. What kind of things did you do during the internship and what are the overall chances of being taken on full-time at the end?

I would really appreciate any help/advice anybody can offer- thank you!
Reply 1
Hard to tell, as Global Data is pretty wide. You will be most likely by assigned to some ad-hoc project which will mostly involve thankless and menial work.

Most Global Data team are ridiculous (think having to get all the important info from a company's annual report and upload it to the Bloomberg platform). However, there are some cool areas, like the Evaluated Price team that provides mark-to-market pricing for highly illiquid instruments.

But generally, Global Data are ranked way below sales, Tradebook (brokers), quants, journalists or software developers. Slighly above janitors and canteen refillers, though.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply. Are you saying that the internship will be pretty useless then? Have you actually done this internship before/worked at Bloomberg or are you just presuming from what you have heard?
Reply 3
I'm saying that it depends a lot on the group you land, and within Global Data your chances of getting into an exciting group are not great.
The usefulness of the internship depends a lot on what you end up doing and what you aim to do for a full time job. For most, it will be way better than a summer course at LSE and much worse than a summer internship in the FO of a BB.
I dealt with Bloomberg on a daily basis for quite a while, spent many days at their offices and still have many friends in there.
Reply 4
Thanks for the information. They did tell me that I would be working in all of the different markets to gain a broad understanding of each one and they also told me I would be given 'proper' tasks, i.e not photocopying etc. However, time will tell I suppose. They also told me that once you're in (employed), it's pretty easy to move into different areas such as Sales, Journalism. They have given me a huge amount of coursework to prepare before I begin, so I'm sure I will learn a lot (hopefully anyway!)
Reply 5
It's common for people to land in Global Data because they like finance and the markets but not really have a clue about what the different parties in the financial services industry do. There, they find out what's on offer and leave for more prestige and better remuneration. In that sense, it can be quite useful.
Bloomberger
xxx

If you don't mind me asking, what uni and what year of study are you in?
Reply 7
I graduated last year and went to the University of Manchester, studied Modern Languages.
Bloomberger
Hi there,

I am starting an internship in the Global Data department at Bloomberg this summer. I would like some advice/info from anyone who has experience of this internship or of working at Bloomberg in general. What kind of things did you do during the internship and what are the overall chances of being taken on full-time at the end?

I would really appreciate any help/advice anybody can offer- thank you!

Ok mate, I interned at Bbg 2 years ago and it was a good experience. I was in Sales however the ppl who were in global data are all doin very well now. One is even working as an intern at GS Investment Partners which is basically a hedge fund within GS.

Bbg is a good stepping stone and has really helped me when it comes to interviews and also when working within the city.

Make the most of the internship and talk to as many ppl as you can. Try and learn as much about the terminal (functions).
Reply 9
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it! I have no experience in financial services at all, so I am most definitely hoping to learn a lot and gain a lot from it. Obviously as I have already graduated, they did say to me that if you prove yourself, Bloomberg do try to recruit as many interns as possible. Do you know if this is true? Obviously if I enjoy it and I do well, I am hoping to get a job as opposed to continuing interning!
Reply 10
Also, before you started the internship, did they send you a list of online courses to complete? They've sent me lots of different ones to complete before the start and they are fantastic. However, i'm not sure i'm going to remember it all in time for starting, as there is just so much which I am a little worried about.
Reply 11
Hey, I interned at Bloomberg last year in Sales as a first year. Know have an Internship at RBS in IB.

Learn as much about the Bloomberg system as possible whilst you are there
Network as much as possible with people
Pick a few product groups, the ones you are working on are probably best, and then make sure you know as much as possible about them

I found Bloomberg useful as it taught me a lot about the city and how it works. But I deffinatly saw it as a stepping stone to bigger things
Reply 12
Hi, I am applying for this years cycle but can't decide between financial product sales and analytics or global data, since you guys might have gone through the process can you give me a gist of what you did on a daily basis, and what would you advice someone to go for to learn to most...global data or sales? thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending