The Student Room Group

Quick question about using a pencil in an exam!

Okay, I had a Chemistry exam today, and for this exam there were some questions on reaction mechanisms, and you have to draw things out e.g. molecules, structures etc etc.

Now, I did this in pencil...because I thought I might make an error, and I didn't have time to go over the right answer in pen.

Will I be penalised for this? Like, will the scanner pick it up? Or do I need to speak to my teachers and get into contact with the exam board?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
i used pencil alot in my d1 maths exam even in bits where i should have used pen, but apparently if they cannot see working out because you've used pencils for bits they just manually check it, and if only used it for diagrams it should be no problem
you failed now lets lol
Reply 3
I thought it was compulsory to use pencil to draw things anyway, I think if you draw in pen you get marked down or it is taken into consideration.
Reply 4
Paris267
I thought it was compulsory to use pencil to draw things anyway, I think if you draw in pen you get marked down or it is taken into consideration.

If that's true then that is ridiculous. They say: "BLACK PEN ONLY :mad: " every exam, and it doesn't say anywhere on the front that you can only use pencil for diagrams...
Reply 5
It's basic knowledge though, why would you want to write in pencil?
Reply 6
MasterCress
Okay, I had a Chemistry exam today, and for this exam there were some questions on reaction mechanisms, and you have to draw things out e.g. molecules, structures etc etc.

Now, I did this in pencil...because I thought I might make an error, and I didn't have time to go over the right answer in pen.

Will I be penalised for this? Like, will the scanner pick it up? Or do I need to speak to my teachers and get into contact with the exam board?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I DID EXACLY THAT! wrote in pencil for my mechanisms..
And I know for a fact that I knew my stuff for that exam. I sailed through it and on results day, find out that I got a low C for that exam. Now I'm thinking it MUST be because of the pencil diagrams.. ( I hope anyway)
I'm gonna ask for a remark.
Reply 7
If you get a remark do they look at your actual script?

I just took CHEM4 exam, and did my mechanisms and the following written answers in pencil, simply forgot to swap!

Now i'm incredibly scared that i'm going to fail!
I've got to get the grade for uni in September! :/

Thanks!
Reply 8
Ok, well I did all my reaction mechanisms in pencil as I was under the impression that they counted as "diagrams" which it clearly says to use pencil for on the front of the exam paper. After reading some of the posts here I panicked and phoned my tutor, who is currenty marking F322 paper and she said that when they scan it in even marks where students have rubbed things out are showing up so pencil for reaction mechanisms is completely fine!

Hope this stops some people panicking too much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest