The Student Room Group

University offers

Right so my story:
I love maths, always have, always will. I'm pretty damn good. I can give you my results if you want but cba if not :smile:

I'm studying maths, f maths, physics and chem.

I'm confident I'll get As in maths & f maths. And I want to do maths at uni. Preferably at Warwick, however...

I'm slightly concernced as the offer is AAA (likely to go up to A*AA) I'll be able to get A* and A in maths and f maths respectively. But! I don't know if I will in physics and chem. I'll probs get Bs in both ]=

So, surely it's really unfair cos I'm sure a B in physics is better than an A in some other not as hard subject. But yet they'd get in and I wouldn't, even though I'll have 4 full A-levels. Also, I clearly have a talent at maths yet I won't get into good unis cos I fail at Physics.

Any suggestions?
Take STEP or AEA and get a good grade in that?
There are a lot of good universities that make AAB offers - for example, my offer from Bath for mathematics was AAB.
SmileyGurl13
Right so my story:
I love maths, always have, always will. I'm pretty damn good. I can give you my results if you want but cba if not :smile:

I'm studying maths, f maths, physics and chem.

I'm confident I'll get As in maths & f maths. And I want to do maths at uni. Preferably at Warwick, however...

I'm slightly concernced as the offer is AAA (likely to go up to A*AA) I'll be able to get A* and A in maths and f maths respectively. But! I don't know if I will in physics and chem. I'll probs get Bs in both ]=

So, surely it's really unfair cos I'm sure a B in physics is better than an A in some other not as hard subject. But yet they'd get in and I wouldn't, even though I'll have 4 full A-levels. Also, I clearly have a talent at maths yet I won't get into good unis cos I fail at Physics.

Any suggestions?

If you're good at maths and doing further then chances are you'll be able to coast physics pretty easily (The mechanics sections cover about 50-60% of the physics course to a slightly higher level even). Chemistry is slightly different as a substantial amount of material needs to be learnt to do well in chemistry. I'd say don't worry too much about it at the moment. See what you get in the exams and then decide what to do from there.

If you have your heart set on Warwick, the chances are you can make it. They offer to pretty much every applicant who has the predicted grades their standard offer, and there's a lot of time ( 2 whole exam sessions, and if you've completed Maths early they'll be pretty light exam sessions) to retake old units back up to an A etc even if you're not stunning at Chemistry/Physics. I'd say leave it for now and focus on your current exams!

Edit: And yeah, you should be worrying more about STEP :-)

+ Maths :love:
Wooo! Warwick Maths! :P Just had to say that

It wouldn't count as meeting your offer if you didn't get the 3 A's, but I think you'd be top of the list if they don't fill all the places, so its down to chance a bit I'm afraid :/
Reply 5
If you are really good at maths why can't you get an A* in further maths as well?
My friend has an offer from Warwick (AAA) but he got AAAB at AS and the B was in chemistry I think he does the same subjects as you...
I have an offer from Durham for AAB (As in maths and further maths). Lots of good universities give AAB offers. Bath even lower it to AAC if you do well in STEP or the AEA. With Warwick, they do tend to give places to everybody who applies, so you'd probably get an offer, but Warwick ask for STEP so they expect a lot of people to miss out on results day. If you're going to go for Warwick, it's STEP you need to be concerned about, if not there are loads of good places you could go with AAB offers.
MathsHamster
If you're going to go for Warwick, it's STEP you need to be concerned about, if not there are loads of good places you could go with AAB offers.

too true, that exam is ruining my life as we speak! D:
Do more work on physics & Chem?
aphilpotts
too true, that exam is ruining my life as we speak! D:

Me too, is your offer conditional on it? Durham's my insurance, Cam is my firm.
MathsHamster
Me too, is your offer conditional on it? Durham's my insurance, Cam is my firm.

Nah Cambridge rejected me :'( But yeah gotta get a 2 in STEP I, which should be fine but that doesn't stop me being terrified :P You've gotta do STEP II/III then? i feel so inadequate now haha

Latest

Trending

Trending