The Student Room Group

Aqa A2 Life Death And Beyond

Anyone doing this unit 4 a2 AQA paper on the topic life death beyond?
what are the key things we NEED to know???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Me :smile:

What religions have you studied for it? I've done Christianity and Hinduism. I think as long as you can explain the beliefs about life after death, nature and value of life, the relationship between this life and the next and eschatological views in each of the religions you've studied, plus secular ideas, you should be ok - it's a synoptic paper so you'll be credited for what you write, not penalised for things you don't know.
I'm doing this paper too. I think basically just EVERYTHING about life death and beyond, how that might affect the present life, eschatological predictions about the end of the world and the random topic of 'nature and value of human life' which I don't understand how it fits in. Basically those four overarching areas but it is a synoptic so it won't really fit neatly into four distinct areas and will be a lot of overlap. :smile:
Reply 3
We didnt study the escotlogical topic.. we did the other three though... basically just get to grips with the content on those for both religious and non religious!

i have a question... for the relationship between present life and life after death/ importance of life and life after death.. what A01 questions can they ask us? we havent really been taught it very well! thanks! :smile:
zanzapan
We didnt study the escotlogical topic.. we did the other three though... basically just get to grips with the content on those for both religious and non religious!

i have a question... for the relationship between present life and life after death/ importance of life and life after death.. what A01 questions can they ask us? we havent really been taught it very well! thanks! :smile:

Well since there are only 2 questions to choose from in the exam, surely that means you won't have a choice if eschatology comes up in AO1 for 1 question? Though if you know your other three topics really well then I suppose it doesn't matter much :smile:

Well for present life it could just be something along the lines of 'examine religious and non-religious attitudes to the importance of present life' or 'examine...relationship between life after death and present life on earth' and then AO2 would just be something like 'assess the view that people live only for death' or something....

Hope that helps!
Reply 5
Silvertongue
Well since there are only 2 questions to choose from in the exam, surely that means you won't have a choice if eschatology comes up in AO1 for 1 question? Though if you know your other three topics really well then I suppose it doesn't matter much :smile:

Well for present life it could just be something along the lines of 'examine religious and non-religious attitudes to the importance of present life' or 'examine...relationship between life after death and present life on earth' and then AO2 would just be something like 'assess the view that people live only for death' or something....

Hope that helps!

Ahh I know, I just hope eschatology doesnt come up... or I will be stuck with whatever the other one is... so ... could just just ask on the importance of the present life and not ask about after death? i didnt know that. if i get that, i am getting a U. :frown: I thought they would ask about important of life after death and present life, not just present life?

I am okey with the assess stuff, I am sure I can ******** that stuff hahaha! thanks :smile:
Reply 6
zanzapan
Ahh I know, I just hope eschatology doesnt come up... or I will be stuck with whatever the other one is... so ... could just just ask on the importance of the present life and not ask about after death? i didnt know that. if i get that, i am getting a U. :frown: I thought they would ask about important of life after death and present life, not just present life?

I am okey with the assess stuff, I am sure I can ******** that stuff hahaha! thanks :smile:

I doubt they would just ask on the importance of present life but if they did you could bring in marxism, humanism, the faith/works debate, the concept of dharma. There's still quite a lot you can say, but you might need to spend a few more minutes thinking about it because it isn't as obvious.
Reply 7
d123
I doubt they would just ask on the importance of present life but if they did you could bring in marxism, humanism, the faith/works debate, the concept of dharma. There's still quite a lot you can say, but you might need to spend a few more minutes thinking about it because it isn't as obvious.

I doubt they would just ask on it too...

though if I did, would these be valid points?:

Hindus universal harmony, dharma, learning good behaviour for moksha, generating good karma

Christians... important to spread word of God, to spread agape love etc, to act well to get life after death, and it is important cos if our superior nature i.e. superior beings in creation? oh and could you say about how it says in the bible about not taking human life... so its important? or is that more like value?

Judaism... important to prepare for life after death, to keep covenant, etc.

Secular... important to pass on genes, humanist ideas of important cos only one life, important to generate good legacies and memories... etc etc

So yeah... is that the right sort of stuff or have I got the wrong end of the stick here? Thanks! Sorry to bother you!
Reply 8
zanzapan
I doubt they would just ask on it too...

though if I did, would these be valid points?:

Hindus universal harmony, dharma, learning good behaviour for moksha, generating good karma

Christians... important to spread word of God, to spread agape love etc, to act well to get life after death, and it is important cos if our superior nature i.e. superior beings in creation? oh and could you say about how it says in the bible about not taking human life... so its important? or is that more like value?

Judaism... important to prepare for life after death, to keep covenant, etc.

Secular... important to pass on genes, humanist ideas of important cos only one life, important to generate good legacies and memories... etc etc

So yeah... is that the right sort of stuff or have I got the wrong end of the stick here? Thanks! Sorry to bother you!

That sounds about right. I'd add in the secular the humanist idea of doing good for goodness sake, but those all sound like good ideas. I think a lot of the points you can use in almost any question which is good :smile:
Reply 9
d123
That sounds about right. I'd add in the secular the humanist idea of doing good for goodness sake, but those all sound like good ideas. I think a lot of the points you can use in almost any question which is good :smile:

Oh good, I am happy now, panic over! I hope I would just be able to use my general knowledge of the stuff to answer that sort of question! haha! :smile:

so is it relevant to bring in ideas of the present life being important because of our superior nature or is that more like value? sorry to ask again hahaha, i am just needing reassurance right now! just had a MAJOR panic.
Reply 10
zanzapan
Oh good, I am happy now, panic over! I hope I would just be able to use my general knowledge of the stuff to answer that sort of question! haha! :smile:

so is it relevant to bring in ideas of the present life being important because of our superior nature or is that more like value? sorry to ask again hahaha, i am just needing reassurance right now! just had a MAJOR panic.

I think you could probably bring in nature as well as value :smile: Don't panic about it! I'm sure you'll do fine.
Reply 11
d123
I think you could probably bring in nature as well as value :smile: Don't panic about it! I'm sure you'll do fine.

Oh thank you, I feel much better now. I just worry because our teachers really did a **** job at teaching us... only really focussed on N+VOHL and then on general LAD beliefs. we did the relatiionship between life and LAD in two lessons and we have never even touched on apocholyptic or however you spell it stuff...I just want to do well! haha! :smile:
zanzapan
Oh thank you, I feel much better now. I just worry because our teachers really did a **** job at teaching us... only really focussed on N+VOHL and then on general LAD beliefs. we did the relatiionship between life and LAD in two lessons and we have never even touched on apocholyptic or however you spell it stuff...I just want to do well! haha! :smile:

Wow sorry for freaking you out!! :frown: Well I don't know whether there will be one but I have a feeling that it COULD potentially come up? I mean that is one of the four main sections after all. All those points you guys came up with seems fine. The whole concept of punishment and reward in the afterlife and what not. And the idea in secular of no afterlife, therefore carpe diem and live life to the full, hedonism, existentialists and stuff like that. :yep:
OMG i'm doing this and half the stuff you are talking about i'm like :eek3:

But yeah does anyone have any suggestions of A02 questions? I can't seem to think of any.
hey...
basically just wondering how many questions we have to answer is it just one. ( a +b) or is like unit 3 where its two qus ( a+b, a+b)?
and how many marks per qu?
also...another quick question you know on the specification for this syllabus..there's like four bullet points/topics...what is the difference between the last 2 topics? there seems to be lots of overlap between these two...
gilmoregirls1992
hey...
basically just wondering how many questions we have to answer is it just one. ( a +b) or is like unit 3 where its two qus ( a+b, a+b)?
and how many marks per qu?

There will be a choice of two questions split into part a and part b and you only answer ONE of the questions. For part a, there are 45 marks and for part b, 30 marks. :smile:
gilmoregirls1992
also...another quick question you know on the specification for this syllabus..there's like four bullet points/topics...what is the difference between the last 2 topics? there seems to be lots of overlap between these two...

What are the 4 topics? I thought it was: Human nature and value, views about personal existence and life after death, and Esch/Apoc teachings. What's the 4th one?
rainbowworld
What are the 4 topics? I thought it was: Human nature and value, views about personal existence and life after death, and Esch/Apoc teachings. What's the 4th one?

1) Life after death
2) Present life on earth
3) Nature and value of human life
4) Eschatological and apocalyptic teachings

There are huge overlaps between all topics because it is a synoptic paper but they are more or less the four main categories.

I don't know what the last two topics are, I havn't listed them in order...:s-smilie:
OMG what is pressent life on earth about? I have never learnt that :s-smilie:
Yeah you can basically include any of it in any question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending