The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
you might be better off doing the GAMSAT then applying.

ETA: I don't really know how the GAMSAT works, and whether you could take it as you have done a degree in Biomedical Sciences.

Most GEP courses require a 2.1 :s-smilie:
Reply 161
Hi, just finished my AS unit 2's and am kinda split as to how they went - human biology and psychology went brilliantly but i'm worried about chemistry and english.
My grades are: 4A*'s 2A's and 2B's at GCSE with science and english being the A*s, history and media the A's and maths + AIDA/ICT the B's.
My predicted grades for AS are AAAA but I think chemistry will end up being a B at best (though my chemistry teacher has said that he will predict me an A for A2 if I get a strong B at AS).
Realisticly, what are my chances of getting in to med school? In particular BSMS?
Also, how much do BSMS consider the UKCAT because that's really worrying me :P
The other med schools i'm considering are East Anglia, Bristol, Kings and possibly, but probably not, Cambridge.
Democracy
On TSR, you might want to talk to her:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=283525

She only got into Dentistry.
Even that took her three years of reapplications before they accepted her.
http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=11

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=12
There's a few here that allow a 2ii degree, specifically Nottingham, St George, Peninsula and Swansea. Which is quite limited, but what can you do? :dontknow:

Some also allow entry with a 2ii if you're a health care professional.

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=229
flugestuge

Where are you getting that she's a dentist? She's applied to Notts and they don't do dentistry.

She only applied once after getting the 2.ii.
flugestuge

chavvy
How many people do you know that have a 2.2 degree in Biomedical Science and gained a place on the GEP??

Hello

Wow, that didn't seem like a friendly post flugestuge, what have I done to upset you? :wink:

Hi chavvy
I got a 2.ii in Biomedical Science and have just been accepted into Peninsula. Yes, I have applied three times, but the first was when I was doing the IB - I got an offer from Southampton but missed my grades by 2 points due to the IB requirements being ridiculously high. The second was coming straight out of uni - I had an offer from Leicester for a 2.i but I was working so hard to get there I worked myself ill with asthma and aneamia and missed my grades by 3% with no sickness compensation applied. I took a year out and decided to give it one more shot, since I only had the one shot left. I took the GAMSAT and applied for the only unis that will accept a 2.ii - Peninsula 5yr, St George's 4yr and Nottingham 4yr. I got interviews at all three because of my GAMSAT performance. I bombed the St George's interview by spectacularly failing at one question, got a waiting list place at Nottingham and an offer from Peninsula.

There were at least three other people that I saw at both my Peninsula and Notts interview that were in the same position. I know one of them got into Peninsula with me, and I don't know about the rest I'm afraid. It's definitely worth giving it a shot. Once you've passed the GAMSAT, they don't look at the rest of your academic qualifications.

The GAMSAT is hard but do-able, I'm ashamed to say I made my mind up so late to do it that I did very little revision, and I'm not the best at Chemistry or Physics so I really don't know how I passed the GAMSAT (apart form Griffiths GAMSAT Review, I attribute it solely on that :smile: ). Peninsula really like grads, so you have a great chance there and now with the new funding rules form the SLC you'd get the fee loan and grants to cover you the same as a normal student on a five year course.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more specific info.
Good luck
AnonymousPenguin
Where are you getting that she's a dentist?

Obviously my comprehension is better than your's. :rolleyes:
Read her profile again.
If necessary use a dictionary.
flugestuge
Read her profile again.

Unfortunetly rudeness is not a substitute for intelligence.

Are you saying she applied to Notts and St. George's for medicine and to PCMD for dentistry? If so; where are you drawing this conclusion from? Just FYI, PCMD is an initialism refering to Peninsula college of medicine and dentistry, while BDS would be a dentistry degree.
flugestuge
Read her profile again.

Is it this bit that makes you think I'm a dentistry student?
Where you study:
Peninsula College of Medicine & Dentistry

That's just because TSR apparently doesn't know what an ampersand is and codes it funny. I shall change it so as to avoid future confusion. This bit
starting Medical School in September

should tell you I'm a medic, plus the fact I'm always hanging around the medic's subforum :p:
flugestuge
Read her profile again.

Oh god, cringe.
resortini
Hi, I had 3 A's at AS and a C in my fourth AS, which universities specifically require at least a B in the fourth AS?

Read Fusilero's response to my post. I wasn't "wrong", just not very helpful.
Reply 171
Hey
Jus wondering.
Some GCSES such as DIDA IT and distinctions...
things that are worth like 4 A's or 2 A's..
Do they count?
I was told they dont...
Fission_Mailed
PMS offered me 400 UCAS points, which comes out as AAAc (or AABa, etc).

Not exactly answering your question, but it does show one place that you can meet the offer for with a C at AS.

I was literally on the phone with a Peninsula Admission Tutor for feedback on my application, their minimum threshold for interview this year was AABa and they said it's probably going to go up next year to AAAa. They also do not count A*s, which is annoying because I would have got an interview UCAS points wise if they counted my A*s. :mad: Damn you B in Physics!

However they also said they gave a 10 UCAS points bonus for people who actually have grade in hand over predicted grades, which is a bit odd but it means that AAAb is enough if cashed in although she said they -might- have A*s next year.
Fusilero
I was literally on the phone with a Peninsula Admission Tutor for feedback on my application, their minimum threshold for interview this year was AABa and they said it's probably going to go up next year to AAAa. They also do not count A*s, which is annoying because I would have got an interview UCAS points wise if they counted my A*s. :mad: Damn you B in Physics!

However they also said they gave a 10 UCAS points bonus for people who actually have grade in hand over predicted grades, which is a bit odd but it means that AAAb is enough if cashed in although she said they -might- have A*s next year.

OK. I'll amend my post, make sure I don't end up spreading misinformation.

I guess that if you get an offer, you don't feel the need to break down the admissions process as much.
Reply 174
Check on individual universities websites as to what qualifications they accept

But GCSEs most definitely count :smile:
More often than not, no. However I cannot say for every university. I know for the ones I applied to they don't (BSMS, BL, Keele & Leicester). They're called "GCSE Equivelants" look around on the universities you're thinking of applying to's website.
What is DIDA?
Liverpool accept DiDa as 2 GCSEs.
Bart's don't accept GNVQs.
This is all I know. Lol. Not sure if it'll help.
DiDA - Diploma in Digital Applications
CiDA - Certificate in Digital Applications

Latest

Trending

Trending