The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

xSkyFire
Not to be a downer but there's little chance, if any. I know many med schools don't even consider GCSE resits. I mean look at my academics, I got rejections without so much as an interview..

On the plus side mate you got some pretty solid A level results!
You going to build on that with your degree and apply as a graduate?
Philosoraptor
On the plus side mate you got some pretty solid A level results!
You going to build on that with your degree and apply as a graduate?

Yes sir, I have a solid work ethic now since I moved to a much better sixth-form. For my GCSEs I was at a standard state school with a 30% pass rate for GCSEs in very limited subjects....

I'm going to try and shoot for a first though and aim for graduate entry.
-Random question but I heard if UCL students apply for grad entry to UCL med school, do they have a higher chance of getting an interview :s-smilie:?
xSkyFire
Yes sir, I have a solid work ethic now since I moved to a much better sixth-form. For my GCSEs I was at a standard state school with a 30% pass rate for GCSEs in very limited subjects....

I'm going to try and shoot for a first though and aim for graduate entry.
-Random question but I heard if UCL students apply for grad entry to UCL med school, do they have a higher chance of getting an interview :s-smilie:?

I'm fairly certain UCL don't do a GEM programme.
xSkyFire

When talking to the admissions tutor she said it's definitely not a disadvantage! :smile:

And I assume you mean entry as a grad rather than GEM as we don't do that :biggrin:
Philosoraptor
When talking to the admissions tutor she said it's definitely not a disadvantage! :smile:

And I assume you mean entry as a grad rather than GEM as we don't do that :biggrin:

Yeah haha :biggrin:
Hi, I'm planning to apply for Medicine for 2011, but the University I am applying for requires Biology to atleast in AS.

The problem is that I didn't manage to do Biology at Year 12 because I was late for the enrolment and the places for Biology is full. I am currently doing Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Psychology. And I am pretty sure I am doing well in these subjects with atleast B and above grade for all.

So, my plan is to do AS Biology for Year 13 replacing one of my subjects, the only thing I'm worried about is that, are they going to accept it for 2011 Medicine with no predicted grades or actual grade?...
Yes. I did this and got two offers for Medicine (Kings College London and St. Georges, both of which require Biology to at least AS). I taught myself the course, and my head of Biology gave me a predicted grade.
Reply 207
ring them? ask your school if you can be entered for As biology examinations even if there aren't places (which i haven't heard of before) and tutor yourself from home?
ziedj
Yes. I did this and got two offers for Medicine (Kings College London and St. Georges, both of which require Biology to at least AS). I taught myself the course, and my head of Biology gave me a predicted grade.

How did your teacher give you a predicted grade? Did you ask for a mock test?...

But what if you didn't manage to do a mock test, is it still possible to enter Biology in the application?
crabmanj
ring them? ask your school if you can be entered for As biology examinations even if there aren't places (which i haven't heard of before) and tutor yourself from home?

It's the end of the year, all examinations are finished.
Niveken13
How did your teacher give you a predicted grade? Did you ask for a mock test?...

But what if you didn't manage to do a mock test, is it still possible to enter Biology in the application?

No, I just told her I was entering for Biology and she predicted me an A, based on my GCSE grade (which is all they would normally have for an AS student anyway). I had to do one day of all the core practicals to show "lab aptitude", and then I just learnt the outcomes from revision guides.
ziedj
No, I just told her I was entering for Biology and she predicted me an A, based on my GCSE grade (which is all they would normally have for an AS student anyway). I had to do one day of all the core practicals to show "lab aptitude", and then I just learnt the outcomes from revision guides.

Lucky you, I hope my teacher would do the same. But if they won't then maybe I'll just go with the mock exam technique.
no problem many med schools dont ask for Bio
ziedj

I call ********. You're doing maths at Warwick. You wouldn't have got in there, and got offers to do medicine with the same personal statement.

If you didn't meet the medicine offers and reapplied to maths, I don't see how Warwick would have accepted you given you failed to meet the AAA/AAB medicine offer.
Reply 214
Try doing Biology AS in year 13?
ritchie888
LOL! Pig in wellingtons! So cute! ^_^

:h: Thankies!
Reply 216
Are Unis fussed about resits?
I'm currently doing A level Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths, Further Maths and I'm in year 13.

-Chemistry maybe an A
-Biology I checked all the UMS I've got so far and I definitely can't get an A, because even if I get 100 percent on Unit 5 it's still not over 80 percent overall, and I'm not resitting Unit 4..should have really but it's too late now, but I'm guessing a B
-Physics - B?
-Maths - definitely an A
-Further Maths - probably below D

I dunno, if I really get ABBAD (LOL it spelt bad.)
and if I resit Biology, Physics next year (year 14), and get As in them both
do I still have a chance to goto a medical school?

or are my predicted grades or whatever gonna screw me over?
if not, can I apply for Biomedical instead, and then do Medicine after?

it's just that B in Biology really that I'm stressed about..
please help
Reply 217
I wanna know this as well :frown:
universities will greatly penalise and might not even consider your application if it takes more than 2 years to do your a levels
Reply 219
it's all because I got a U in my AS Biology practical..
I did okay in all the other subjects.
but the one I needed the most (Biology AS practical) I couldn't resit it because of my teacher?
=/

Latest