The Student Room Group

TSR Game Bargains Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
BFBC2 £20 (33% off), BF2 Complete £7.50 (50% off)
Reply 81
Bleh, that sucks...I've got some of them and am not really interested in most of the rest :frown: If Mass Effect 2 is cheap enough then I might pick it up, though...but since Steam's got the game priced at £30 (when you can get it elsewhere for around £18) I'd probably be better off just getting a hard copy of it, unless there's the unlikely event of it being at least 66% off (ME2 for a tenner? :ninja:)
estel
You can get a good idea of the games that will be on sale later this week with a little snooping: http://www.atkcommunity.com/threads/2508-EA-Week-on-Steam

Shame I already have most of them...

Oooooh nice find. I've been meaning to buy ME2 and Dragon Age: Origins for a while now, so this could be a good opportunity. :yep:
ME2 is literally the best game in the entire history of gaming.
Reply 84
Epic Steam sale is epic. It will make me poor :frown:
Reply 85
estel
Epic Steam sale is epic. It will make me poor :frown:

I'm learning from the last one :p: I'm looking through the things that are on sale now, and making a note of ones I might fancy; I'm going to leave them for now and hope they might be reduced even further at some point over the next 10 days. If they're not then (if I can afford them) I'll buy them on July 3rd/4th. I seem to remember in December/January there were a few times where something might be 33% off for most of the time, then for one day only it was 66% or 75% off. Considering how many things I bought and how much I spent in that last sale (and my considerably more precarious financial position now than directly after Christmas and my birthday), I'm determined to minimise my chances of being stung. Also, damn you for letting me know about this. My bank balance will forever hate you :p:
Reply 86
Pff well, you'd still have found out without me :p:

I think I'm going to do quite well in this sale: there aren't many good games left for me to pick up :\ I'll keep an eye on my wishlist, but nothing on sale today really tickles my fancy: including what I've seen of the general sale.
I locked myself out of my Steam account to stop it distracting me from revision. This sale will make me kick and scream, but ultimately it's probably good that I'm not able to spend anything - I'm only just balancing the books right now without cutting into my savings!
Reply 88
Well I only have four days left until my final day of exams that decide whether I go to uni or not, I should be okay.

Wait what did you say? The Witcher is on sale....FFFFUUUUUUUU

Damn, looks like I will be cleaning the streets for the rest of my life!!
Reply 89
Eccentric
Well I only have four days left until my final day of exams that decide whether I go to uni or not, I should be okay.

Wait what did you say? The Witcher is on sale....FFFFUUUUUUUU

Damn, looks like I will be cleaning the streets for the rest of my life!!

I think i'll join you. I forgot to get The Witcher in the last sale and now its cheaper, i can't help but go :woo: (although I doubt my girlfriend will share that approach)

Also console gamers, remember how you nearly all rushed out to get Modern Warfail 2 last November. Remember that cost you nearly £40. Well you can get the Valve complete pack for £35.50, which contains 22 games for the cost of that overhyped piece of crap. Your life will be infinitely better as a result of this purchase.

Be jealous, console games will never get a sale as good as PC games, and Steam is the holy grail of PC gaming.

Christ my wallet is going to get abused in these next 10 days

Cryostasis is £2.50 which seems an absolutely effin good deal, oh and Trials 2 is £2.99 :smile:
Reply 90
You've gotta be kidding me, I got a new job today, but by the time I get my first load of pay the sale will have been and gone =[
chaywa
Be jealous, console games will never get a sale as good as PC games, and Steam is the holy grail of PC gaming.

Except of course that the Steam store may well be coming to the PS3.
Phalanges

Maybe, but it would be as limited as the Mac version of Steam.
Reply 93
Phalanges

I'd be beyond shocked. I really really doubt that this will ever happen. Imo Steamworks integration will be for... uhhh... Steamworks stuff, rather than Steam retail stuff.
Reply 94
I bought the THQ pack and the first thing me and my CSS clan did, was install world of zoo :biggrin: EASILY THE BEST GAME EVER MADE!

Also made a blue panda, that I got to eat out my hand and roll over when I brush it :biggrin: Buy the THQ pack guys!
estel
I'd be beyond shocked. I really really doubt that this will ever happen. Imo Steamworks integration will be for... uhhh... Steamworks stuff, rather than Steam retail stuff.

Obviously it is primarily for support and updates, but I think this has the potential to be something completely different for consoles. They've already spoken about the prospect of bringing mods to a console for the first time, and they've got to at least be tempted by the huge market that would be available to them (particularly when you look at how well basic stores such as the Xbox Marketplace are doing).

It won't be in their immediate plans, but I'd be surprised if they didn't explore the possibility.
Reply 96
Phalanges
Obviously it is primarily for support and updates, but I think this has the potential to be something completely different for consoles. They've already spoken about the prospect of bringing mods to a console for the first time, and they've got to at least be tempted by the huge market that would be available to them (particularly when you look at how well basic stores such as the Xbox Marketplace are doing).

It won't be in their immediate plans, but I'd be surprised if they didn't explore the possibility.

Whilst I can see why Valve would be interested in having some form of marketplace on another platform, I think the limited factor here will far more likely be Sony. The strength of consoles as a platform is built on the complete control that the platform holder has over the content that's available on it, and I can't see Sony ever allowing Valve to run their own digital storefront in parallel to PSN.
estel
Whilst I can see why Valve would be interested in having some form of marketplace on another platform, I think the limited factor here will far more likely be Sony. The strength of consoles as a platform is built on the complete control that the platform holder has over the content that's available on it, and I can't see Sony ever allowing Valve to run their own digital storefront in parallel to PSN.

I see where you're coming from, but I think that Steam would have greater power to sell more games than PSN. I think if enough of a cut was offered to Sony they'd be happy to adopt Steam as their digital outlet, particularly because of how popular and respected it is and all of the benefits that would come with it.

But I feel I may be dragging this thread slightly off topic here... :colondollar:
Reply 98
Phalanges
I see where you're coming from, but I think that Steam would have greater power to sell more games than PSN. I think if enough of a cut was offered to Sony they'd be happy to adopt Steam as their digital outlet, particularly because of how popular and respected it is and all of the benefits that would come with it.

But I feel I may be dragging this thread slightly off topic here... :colondollar:

Yeh, we're dragging it a fair amount :ninja:

Why do you think Steam would hve a greater power to sell more games than Sony already does? Steam is a hugely established brand and the biggest digital distributor... on PC. On PS3, all of the advantages that Steam holds on PC would vanish: it has no existing software library to distribute and no established presence amongst PS3 gamers. This in addition to the fact that Sony would never allow two parallel certification routes for software to make it onto PS3.
Reply 99
Last night I went through the Steam catalogue to note down things I'd be interested in buying in the sale. That includes a list of games that I might consider if (but only if) they are reduced in price (sometimes quite considerable drops required). There's just £15 of games I'll definitely buy, a further £25 that I might buy (those games are already reduced by 50/66/75%), and others which I might buy if reduced. Of course, I know some of them are very unlikely (if Crysis and Mass Effect 2 go on sale for a single day again during this sale then I doubt they'll be any cheaper than when they were on sale last week, and I can get hard copies of both games for even less), and there's also a chance of things going on sale and being evil and encouraging me into impulse buying (like Galcon Fusion which I bought last night) :o:

Quick Reply

Latest