The Student Room Group

Just tried Esso Energy Supreme 97 fuel

The garage was out of regular unleaded so I put £20 of their premium unleaded fuel in (only a few pence more per litre) and it's honestly a different engine.

I'd heard on car forums about its effects and apparently the car needs 2-3 fills for them to be maximised, but just starting the engine and pulling away was so much smoother than the cheap unleaded I got from a supermarket.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
pugnacitas
The garage was out of regular unleaded so I put £20 of their premium unleaded fuel in (only a few pence more per litre) and it's honestly a different engine.

I'd heard on car forums about its effects and apparently the car needs 2-3 fills for them to be maximised, but just starting the engine and pulling away was so much smoother than the cheap unleaded I got from a supermarket.

On some cars higher RON and better detergent works on others it is a waste of money. Post your car make model and engine on here to avoid me reporting you for spam........!!!

EDIT: BTW that unleaded from the supermarket is likely the same fuel - they just have slightly different additives - I know I used to work for an oil company on two major supermarket accounts. Supermarkets don't have their own refineries.....
Reply 2
I accidentally filled up on Super in BP and my car was a lot smoother and a lot more responsive on the throttle. I drive a Tigra 1.4.
Reply 3
I've tried 97+ (up to 100) RON fuels in my Honda Accord and it made no difference. On the other hand my mates twin turbo Supra ran a lot better
can you mix 95 and 97 together?
Reply 5
Tithonius
On some cars higher RON and better detergent works on others it is a waste of money. Post your car make model and engine on here to avoid me reporting you for spam........!!!

EDIT: BTW that unleaded from the supermarket is likely the same fuel - they just have slightly different additives - I know I used to work for an oil company on two major supermarket accounts. Supermarkets don't have their own refineries.....

It's a Mini One 1.4 2008.
Reply 6
unknownFluency
can you mix 95 and 97 together?

Yes, but it was running on the reserve tank when I filled up, so the effects were probably stronger than if I had half a tank of 95.
Ive never tried 97 before... I might try it out next week. I have a habit of putting my foot down so if there's any different to be felt/heard I should hear it.
Reply 8
BTW you all should know that whilst you might experience better performance with 'super' fuels the oil companies do cream in extra profits from them. The additional cost of making them is marginal and yet the cost at the pump is significantly more.

If you think it is worth it go for it but...... I'll bet you get better performance improvements by doing other things to your car (maybe not quite as extreme as my mate who stripped out the interior of his R5T to save weight. When he picked me up he had to take extra time to refit the passenger seat!)

EDIT: High flow K&N Air Filter for Mini One is £34.50
Reply 9
You guys are destroying our environment, please buy hybrids!
edd360

Booooooo.... Buy the new Porsche Turbo. 0-60 in 2.8 seconds.. :woo:
Reply 11
edd360

I drive less than 3,000 miles a year in a car that is 10 years old. Please explain how scrapping my car and buying one which has had to be produced from scratch with all the resultant pollution will help.

My feet and bicycle are my main transport.

BTW - thank you for the unusual troll!
Reply 12
unknownFluency

Reply 13
unknownFluency

Is that the amount of carbon dioxide released into our atmosphere?
Reply 14
edd360

Sports cars aren't used as much as regular cars, so they probably harm the environment less on average than a hatchback.
Reply 15
Tithonius
I drive less than 3,000 miles a year in a car that is 10 years old. Please explain how scrapping my car and buying one which has had to be produced from scratch with all the resultant pollution will help.

My feet and bicycle are my main transport.

BTW - thank you for the unusual troll!

Metal can be recycled, you know? The metal used from your 10 year old car may well be used in your first hybrid!
edd360

No, it's the speed that crap comes from your mouth.

Try looking up the emission rates from a car such as that the previous poster describes, and those of a prius build and import.
Reply 17
pugnacitas
Sports cars aren't used as much as regular cars, so they probably harm the environment less on average than a hatchback.

It's fuel powered cars in general, there's no fine categorising it. You can have just as much fun racing in a hybrid! Slow and steady wins the race!
Reply 18
TommyWannabe
No, it's the speed that crap comes from your mouth.

Try looking up the emission rates from a car such as that the previous poster describes, and those of a prius build and import.

Well for a Porsche Carrera GT its 437 grams of CO2 emitted per every kilometre travelled. I can't imagine it would be much different for the turbo.
Reply 19
edd360
Metal can be recycled, you know? The metal used from your 10 year old car may well be used in your first hybrid!

Ooooh! You are so provokingly irresistable to reply to!

Depending where the car is made and what it is made from (recycling material produces CO2 as well) the manufacturing process contributes between 10% and 40% of what the car's total lifetime CO2 output will be.

Now, in France this output is at the lower end because they have nuclear power BUT those figures don't take into account the CO2 produced in extracting the fuel for the power stations nor the disposal of that fuel nor the construction of the stations themselves. It's a ridiculously complicated matter.

I think in my case I am better re-using than recycling.... If I was in the market for a new car I certainly wouldn't get a hybrid - more likely something like a high efficient diesel such as a BlueMotion VW

Latest