The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Gexko
Tommy Mooney scored at least 10 goals from 25 yards last year. He always hits the target and league 2 keepers arent good enough for him.

League 2 is about Mooney's level. He was crap for us in the championship when we had him on loan.

Gem
Reply 61
leedsblade
League 2 is about Mooney's level. He was crap for us in the championship when we had him on loan.

Gem

He did score 19 goals in league 1 in 03/04 though :p:

Plus he played in the premiership with Watford 99/00 i think it was.

He's getting old and slow now, but his 'football brain' is awesome, the number of chances he made for himself with a clever turn or whatever waz amazing, shame he's gone to Wycombe now, cos we've only got 3 strikers and we need a good one to partner Craig Davies.
Reply 62
Gexko
He did score 19 goals in league 1 in 03/04 though :p:

Plus he played in the premiership with Watford 99/00 i think it was.

He's getting old and slow now, but his 'football brain' is awesome, the number of chances he made for himself with a clever turn or whatever waz amazing, shame he's gone to Wycombe now, cos we've only got 3 strikers and we need a good one to partner Craig Davies.

^ Yes it was 99-00 for Watford. Great player in regards to his tactical ability, but never going to inspire the whole team. But he scored the goals which mattered.

On an good note: Chelsea Babe (Cindy) has kindly agreed to put this thread as a sticky for us keen lower league folks. :biggrin: Thank you!
[QUOTE=walshie
On an good note: Chelsea Babe (Cindy) has kindly agreed to put this thread as a sticky for us keen lower league folks. :biggrin: Thank you!
Ya welcome hun! :biggrin:
Reply 64
League 1 and the championship are slightly different though. I wasn't even impressed with Mooney when he first came to BL on loan...when quite a few said he would get us the goals needed.

Gem
Reply 65
He moved to so many different clubs he was bound to slip up on one!
All the other 99 teams he has joined I don't think he has failed to score.

Its funny because, Tommy Mooney is a proven goalscorer but gets moved on repeatedly. How many players have actually been to more clubs than him? He's the football slag.

Actually Ade Akinbiyi is definitely one.
Reply 66
^ Akinbadbye more like. We've been linked to him but it looks as though we won't be going for him. He chose Burnley over us in the summer so I wouldn't have him...he is crap anyway or no better than what we have already got.

Gem
Reply 67
walshie
He moved to so many different clubs he was bound to slip up on one!
All the other 99 teams he has joined I don't think he has failed to score.

Its funny because, Tommy Mooney is a proven goalscorer but gets moved on repeatedly. How many players have actually been to more clubs than him? He's the football slag.

Actually Ade Akinbiyi is definitely one.

Mooney played for Swindon 2 seasons ago (our arch rivals) then us then Wycombe (our local rivals) this year.

He does like moving. Scored 19 for Swindon, 14 for us and has 3 so far for Wycombe. His commitment to the cause was second to none for us as well as his goal scoring, but we couldnt afford his wages a second season as we didnt get promoted and spent so much on Ramon Diaz and his players last year for no return, hence our tiny squad this year.
Reply 68
What you all really want is Grant Holt... Same Old Holty Always Scoring!
Who d'ya reckon will get top 3 in the conference?

I reckon/hope Stevenage will win it! They deserve to be a league side imo! Were well unlucky to lose in the play off final last season! Top class strike force and I'm hoping Elding can repeat his form from last year! Scoring really freely atm (12 in 5 games), but our poor start has been due to a rather poor defencive display! Back up to third now after 2 wins on the trot so good stuff!! :smile:

So yeah I reckon Stevenage will win it with Hereford and Exeter quite close behind in 2nd n 3rd respectively.
Reply 70
I feel that the conference is wide open this year. Plenty of teams are capable of putting together a winning streak and also a losing streak. Think your guesstimate of Stevenage won't be too far wrong, however as like last season i predict it will be very close. Carlisle looked like they were going to walk it last season yet only just managed scraping through in the end.
Reply 71
Oxford sign 2 strikers :biggrin: Andy Campbell on loan from Cardiff (the guy who scored the goal that got them promoted) and Eric Sabin from Northampton (10 goals last year).

Plus we've got Alun Armstrong (Ipswich) on trial.

:biggrin:

Sadly no new defenders coming in tho :frown:
Reply 72
mc_watson87
Who d'ya reckon will get top 3 in the conference?

I reckon/hope Stevenage will win it! They deserve to be a league side imo! Were well unlucky to lose in the play off final last season! Top class strike force and I'm hoping Elding can repeat his form from last year! Scoring really freely atm (12 in 5 games), but our poor start has been due to a rather poor defencive display! Back up to third now after 2 wins on the trot so good stuff!! :smile:

So yeah I reckon Stevenage will win it with Hereford and Exeter quite close behind in 2nd n 3rd respectively.

Has Stevenage still got Bob Makin & Phil Wallace as Chairman? Or am I well out of date. I used to kick a ball with Bob when he was manager, down by Mill Hill power league!
Reply 73
Gexko
Oxford sign 2 strikers :biggrin: Andy Campbell on loan from Cardiff (the guy who scored the goal that got them promoted) and Eric Sabin from Northampton (10 goals last year).

Plus we've got Alun Armstrong (Ipswich) on trial.

:biggrin:

Sadly no new defenders coming in tho :frown:

Lucky you. Were skint, in dissaray after the shock of the 2 games on the weekend, have a stadium that were being kicked out of :rolleyes: , and all barnet fans should be grateful for keeping our players on contract let alone signing someone! But then it woul dhelp if we attracted more than 2500 fans per week :frown:
walshie
Has Stevenage still got Bob Makin & Phil Wallace as Chairman? Or am I well out of date. I used to kick a ball with Bob when he was manager, down by Mill Hill power league!

Yup they sure do!

Quality! :biggrin: D'ya know 'im then?
Reply 75
walshie
Lucky you. Were skint, in dissaray after the shock of the 2 games on the weekend, have a stadium that were being kicked out of :rolleyes: , and all barnet fans should be grateful for keeping our players on contract let alone signing someone! But then it woul dhelp if we attracted more than 2500 fans per week :frown:

whinge whinge whinge :p:

Fair enough your club sucks.

We somehow got £150,000 together to bid for Junior Agogo :eek:

Don't know where that came from.

I reckon the chairman listens to the phone in on bbc oxford after the matchs, there was some nutter phoned in saying we should sign agogo and low and behold the nutter was right 2 weeks later.

sadly we were rejected, but 3 new strikers will do us well :smile:

would still like some defenders tho.
Reply 76
mc_watson87
Yup they sure do!

Quality! :biggrin: D'ya know 'im then?

Both of them when Manager & Chairman for Borehamwood did such a stupendous job. Phil Wallace went for broke in his final season for BWFC finishing 2nd behind Kingstonian. It shouldn't of been that way due to the weather playing a major part on the backlog of games.
Bob Makin is truly a great manager; no doubt.

Phil Wallace left after the defeat to Aldershot in the league cup final at Slough. He took over Stevenage which he thought would provide him a greater challenge. It was only a matter of time before Bob left.

I don't know Bob personally, I just played with him for my Brothers team in 5-a-side. We managed to get Bob down because goalkeeper Charles used to play for us as well where he was G/K for BWFC at one point. (Charles is about 6.3" Black guy who really can be a great keeper. He introduced us etc.

And for Barnet fans whinging! Cheek - we have nothing to look forward to :frown:
Barnet Council are just tossers in the making.
Reply 77
:bawling: 2 - 0 :bawling:
Reply 78
Gexko
:bawling: 2 - 0 :bawling:

:toofunny: WHO ARE YA!
Shrewsbury!
Conference here we come! Soon Oxford City will be the new Oxford side.

Gexko
Firstly, rovers and carlisle are easy games.

Didn't Carlisle beat Lincoln recently! Even funnier!

1-1 for us at Cheltenham. Been there before, there ground is worse than ours. But hey, this must surely be a good team just being relegated 'n' all.
Reply 79
walshie
:toofunny: WHO ARE YA!
Shrewsbury!
Conference here we come! Soon Oxford City will be the new Oxford side.

Didn't Carlisle beat Lincoln recently! Even funnier!

1-1 for us at Cheltenham. Been there before, there ground is worse than ours. But hey, this must surely be a good team just being relegated 'n' all.

Cheltenham just relegated (5 years ago)? Or do you support someone who just got relegated?

I dont think we're doing quite that badly just yet that Oxford City will catch us up, we're only a point and a place behind lincoln now, soon we shall rise up the table and conquer the league.

Latest