The Student Room Group

Spring Weeks 2011 Thread

I thought I might as well get the next cycle going - last year's thread was made 13 months ago.

Lifted directly from the first page of last year's thread:

LoZEr
Applications open around October time I think, can't remember exactly.

Banks that offer spring weeks:

Goldman Sachs: IBD, Securities
JP Morgan: Spring Week, Industry Impressions (Autumn)
Citigroup
Morgan Stanley
Deutsche Bank
BNP Paribas
Merril Lynch
Credit Suisse
RBS: Divisional Spring Weeks
UBS
BarCap

HSBC offer a 1st year summer internship in Retail Banking.

I think that's it.

Anyone else getting ready to apply? How many of you are first years of a 3 year course and how many a second years of a 4 year course?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm really sorry if this has been answered but can you apply for these in the first year of uni? :smile:
Reply 2
So if you go to a Scottish Uni ten you have to wait until you're in second year??
Reply 3
Resourceful
I'm really sorry if this has been answered but can you apply for these in the first year of uni? :smile:

xRoseberryx
So if you go to a Scottish Uni ten you have to wait until you're in second year??

You normally need to be graduating in 2013. I'm not sure how successful first years in a 4 year course have been in the past with these.
Reply 4
TheTallOne
You normally need to be graduating in 2013. I'm not sure how successful first years in a 4 year course have been in the past with these.

okaysies thanks.
someones a bit too keen
Reply 6
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
logain2006
I know someone from a Scottish uni, 1st year, that got into BarCap front office spring week.

Do you know which Uni they went to/which course they did??
Reply 8
TheTallOne
I thought I might as well get the next cycle going - last year's thread was made 13 months ago.

Lifted directly from the first page of last year's thread:

Anyone else getting ready to apply? How many of you are first years of a 3 year course and how many a second years of a 4 year course?

Are you living off-campus for two years?
Reply 9
Zweihander
Are you living off-campus for two years?

Yeah - possibly a third (but being on campus makes life easier).
Nomura did a SW just for women this year. Their first year scheme tends to change so they might do it again, or they may make it all-sex. There also a few consultancies that do 1st year programs (McKinsey for one), and loads of accounting firms willing to take on 1st years (sometimes for much longer than 1 or 2 weeks).
Reply 11
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
i will definitely apply to all sw opportunities...

i am a first year student at the university of st gallen, with a 2.5 german abitur and currently doing a 6 week internship at an m&a boutique in frankfurt... do you guys think i stand a chance for a successful spring week application? will apply late so i hopefully will have a few other accomplishments to show on my cv (relevant finance extracurriculars & finance conference participant)
Reply 13
nurf
i will definitely apply to all sw opportunities...

i am a first year student at the university of st gallen, with a 2.5 german abitur and currently doing a 6 week internship at an m&a boutique in frankfurt... do you guys think i stand a chance for a successful spring week application? will apply late so i hopefully will have a few other accomplishments to show on my cv (relevant finance extracurriculars & finance conference participant)

they took you into st gallen with a 2.5??
Reply 14
st. gallen has an admissions test with ~10% acceptance rate... abitur grades are not taken into consideration
Reply 15
nurf
st. gallen has an admissions test with ~10% acceptance rate... abitur grades are not taken into consideration

ah, but matura is still taken into account for locals?
Reply 16
well, no :biggrin:

swiss residents just have to HAVE matura, but grades are not relevant, every swiss resident with matura gets into st.gallen... this is defined in the swiss law... but in reality every swiss student knows that st.gallen is very competetive and only those who are confident that they will succeed even try it there...

so we will have around 1500 people starting in first year this fall. but the first year, the so called 'assessment year' has a failure rate of ~40%...

foreign students represent ~15% of the students in the assessment year... and its mainly the swiss residents that fail :P

so you can say that the admissions process in st.gallen takes a full year :wink:
Reply 17
*subscribes to this thread*

Zweihander
Nomura did a SW just for women this year. Their first year scheme tends to change so they might do it again, or they may make it all-sex. There also a few consultancies that do 1st year programs (McKinsey for one), and loads of accounting firms willing to take on 1st years (sometimes for much longer than 1 or 2 weeks).

Can you provide a link please?
TheTallOne
x

Which division do you wanna work in?
Reply 19
Zweihander
Which division do you wanna work in?

M&A at the moment. I'll be more certain after an insight day at BAML next month. You?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending