The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Bucko2008
Good day to you all,

I'm currently a second year Economics student at Warwick and I'm thinking of applying to do a masters at some other university once I graduate next summer. To be frank, is it possible to get someone to pay for me? Do some companies offer to pay for you to undertake a masters, as long as you work for them after etc... If so, can anyone give me any advice?

Quite common for employers to sponsor an employee to do a masters, I've come across quite a number over the years who will pay half the masters cost.
They benefit from you doing the course, you benefit from not having to pay it all.
Some of my professional colleagues have had pay rises on completion of the course, one guy had a £10k increase.

The other alternitve is for you to pay for the masters, possibly with savings or a bank loan?

Or another idea is to do a masters through the open university. Takes longer but payments are more spread out and can always ask an employer in years to come to sponsor you through to the finish.
Reply 2
Bucko2008
Good day to you all,

I'm currently a second year Economics student at Warwick and I'm thinking of applying to do a masters at some other university once I graduate next summer. To be frank, is it possible to get someone to pay for me? Do some companies offer to pay for you to undertake a masters, as long as you work for them after etc... If so, can anyone give me any advice?

I'll give you a serious answer...

It is very rare to get an MSc funded by employers, as you would need to already be on the company's books. It is unlikely that a company would fully fund you if the only time you had spent working with them was a couple of internships. Quite a few employers might offer partial funding though. The only graduate employers I know who sponsor MSc degrees is Network Rail. They will fully fund an MSc in Project Management at Warwick or UCL as it is very relevant to their graduate scheme, but seeing as you're studying Economics, I wouldn't have thought you'd be interested in that sort of thing?

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/4677.aspx

Many employers will sponsor you to study for an MBA if you have worked at a company for several years. Also, nearly all Accountancy companies will pay for you to study for a professional qualification such as the ACA, CIMA or the CFA while working for them.

For now though, the best opportunity would be to try to get a scholarship if you have excellent grades. Although the main benefit of a scholarship is not so much that you get money off your fees, but that it looks amazing on a CV and is seen as very prestigious.

I hope this has helped.
Reply 3
Thanks guys... At this point I should say I'm only interested in Masters degrees in Economics. My dream, so to speak, would be to undertake a Masters in Economic Research at Cambridge, although I'm sure this will be very tough to get into.

Latest

Trending

Trending