The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Mature students at Leeds

Hiya, just thought I'd see on here if anyone's in the same boat as me. I'm 26, second year at Leeds and there aren't really many people in my age group around here. Would quite like to meet people who aren't shrieking children :eek3:
Sound familiar to anyone? I'm sure other oldies must exist in Leeds :smile: We could talk about the good old days

PS I know my sig is a bit bizarre given my post but come on they are good shows :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lol good enough :biggrin: I'm thinking of starting a mature students soc next year that's all, if I can get enough coffin dodgers interested
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
There is already a mature students' society. They have monthly meetings at the moment and are hoping to do more stuff next year, though I haven't been, and don't know anybody who has. it is probably the only place you will find a number of people older than about 21.
Reply 3
me. even a bit older than you :smile: will be studying for masters econ&finance
Reply 4
I'm not what the University would class as a 'mature student' but I certainly don't shriek!

I'm 21 and will be studying for an MA in English Literature in September. Hoping to meet other postgrads or anyone of a similar, 'non-shrieky' disposition. :biggrin:
Reply 5
evening oldies... yea also a mature student (25) starting a civil/structural engineering degree. haha hope am not mob'd by the infants :smile:
Reply 6
ill be 22 as my course starts in september, but i am sure im not shrieky :smile:
I'm 25 and will be studying postgrad in Sustainability. My partner's studying English Lit MA in September as well.
Reply 8
Helloo...
I'm 22 years old and was worrying about the same thing. I'll be studying Human Resource Management MA starting September. Should arrive to Leeds in the beginning of September from Amman Jordan. I am originally from Iraq if you'd like an international factor :P
Reply 9
Ooh excellent another English Lit MA student - the first I've come across. ^^

So will you guys be living in student or private accomodation? I'm not sure what the common thing is among mature/postgrad students but as I've only narrowly avoided a couple of 'housemate horror' scenarios in my time as a student I'll most likely be looking at the private sector. How about you?

Actually, on that subject, does anyone know Leeds well enough to recommend certain areas to live? I was told Headingly was great as long as you don't mind the drunks, the fighting and the vomit on the pavement... :lolwut:
Reply 10
Syrin

So will you guys be living in student or private accomodation? I'm not sure what the common thing is among mature/postgrad students but as I've only narrowly avoided a couple of 'housemate horror' scenarios in my time as a student I'll most likely be looking at the private sector. How about you?

Actually, on that subject, does anyone know Leeds well enough to recommend certain areas to live? I was told Headingly was great as long as you don't mind the drunks, the fighting and the vomit on the pavement... :lolwut:

Headingly = student capital of Leeds.
Reply 11
Yeah I guess by the standard set here i'm technically an oldie. I'll be 25 in october and start a physics with foundation year in september, just been confirmed for my student housing in smaller residences. Im also a little concerned about having to deal with shriekers discovering alcohol and independence for the first time.

Lol, no offense to anyone but we've all done it, and i know what im missing. lol
Reply 12
Tom Mason
Yeah I guess by the standard set here i'm technically an oldie. I'll be 25 in october and start a physics with foundation year in september, just been confirmed for my student housing in smaller residences. Im also a little concerned about having to deal with shriekers discovering alcohol and independence for the first time.

Lol, no offense to anyone but we've all done it, and i know what im missing. lol

Hey, I'm about to go into my second year of a Physics degree. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Reply 13
Nooptheloop
Hiya, just thought I'd see on here if anyone's in the same boat as me. I'm 26, second year at Leeds and there aren't really many people in my age group around here. Would quite like to meet people who aren't shrieking children :eek3:
Sound familiar to anyone? I'm sure other oldies must exist in Leeds :smile: We could talk about the good old days

PS I know my sig is a bit bizarre given my post but come on they are good shows :biggrin:

I'm 26 years old too :smile: I start in September
Well I guess this is the group for me as I've just turned 28 and will be starting at Leeds this September and i'm really looking forward to it. Being a bit older really doesn't bother me, i'm in Greece for the summer working and most people are a good few years younger, it's all good.
Reply 15
Any PG starting a MA under the Modern Languages Department?
Reply 16
Syrin

I'm an English Lit MA student too!! What course are you on?
I'm going to the iQ Leeds route for accomodation. It's pretty close to campus and the city centre and I've heard that it's a fun place to live. But I've also heard good things about Headingly too.
Reply 17
acs623
I'm an English Lit MA student too!! What course are you on?

Hurrah! :woo:
I'm doing the general English Lit MA with first semester modules in Psychoanalysis in Cultural Theory and Medieval Tales and their Retelling. Doh, that sounds so lame! How about you?

I went for Concept Place in the end, close to the city centre and not far from campus.
Reply 18
Syrin
Hurrah! :woo:
I'm doing the general English Lit MA with first semester modules in Psychoanalysis in Cultural Theory and Medieval Tales and their Retelling. Doh, that sounds so lame! How about you?

I went for Concept Place in the end, close to the city centre and not far from campus.

I'm doing the Victorian Lit MA so I have to take the Reading Victorian Literature: History, Text and Context course and I'm doing the Brontë course as my elective. I'm coming over from the U.S. and I'm anxiously awaiting my move to Leeds!
Reply 19
I'm 25 and a second year student. At home my social circle is a mixture between 25-30's - so me being in the lower end of that spectrum, thought I'd find sanctity being with young people. Relive my youth, so to speak.

Joined university and apparently letting off fire-extinguishers, setting fire-alarms at 5am (when I have to get up at 7am) and smeering toothpaste on doors and screaming girls at 4am in coridoors who have had a few WKD's is "legendary".

I only have myself to blame, I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest