The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

D-
Reply 21
mushy786
sorry to say this but ***** like you really **** me off.....what a stupid sterotypical idea....

Learn to type.

mushy786
how the fuk are they chained to the bedroom? that can happen to anyone man!!!!!

Not to quite the institutionalised level one finds in certain Islamic countries.
mushy786
baby P? he was abused and came from a white family...what about all the white families that abuse their kids? yeah some muslim women are forced etc but only a very small minority!!!!

Don't be so damned incoherent.

You're taking two wildly differing examples and trying to shoehorn them into an argument- try rephrasing a tad.

mushy786
your very ignorant and close minded to actually think that.

Avalanche of platitudes, culminating in...
mushy786
you obviously dont get out much.

...The last resort of somebody with nothing to really say.

4/10.
Reply 22
AirRaven
Learn to type.

Not to quite the institutionalised level one finds in certain Islamic countries.

Don't be so damned incoherent.

You're taking two wildly differing examples and trying to shoehorn them into an argument- try rephrasing a tad.

Avalanche of platitudes, culminating in...

...The last resort of somebody with nothing to really say.

4/10.

get a face lift you joke.
certain islamic countries? saudi? come on name me the women tell me who they are and where there from...your a joka. i aint saying no woman is abused and forced, they are. but not many compared to the whole muslim population. just go and research the amount of fathers that rape their kids....dont tell me im getting mixed up...its a fact.
a muslim woman tied to the bedroom etc in her home is abuse.....there are so many stories about white non muslim families who abuse their kids...k that aint no different.
Reply 23
missygeorgia
In the UK, maybe. Worldwide, muslim women are horribly oppressed.

you been about? you reasearched it? no you aint....in very islamic countries yeah...and if you had researched it you'd know that most of their rules etc are not following the prophets lifestyle.....
women aint treated equally anywhere....we live in a patriarchal society. just because you see a woman covered, and you hear of families who kill their women for not covering dont mean MUSLIM WOMEN ARE HORRIBLY OPPRESSED!!!!! some are yeah....but not all...and the ones that are, they aint the ones that you should be taking an example of.
mushy786
you been about? you reasearched it? no you aint....in very islamic countries yeah...and if you had researched it you'd know that most of their rules etc are not following the prophets lifestyle.....
women aint treated equally anywhere....we live in a patriarchal society. just because you see a woman covered, and you hear of families who kill their women for not covering dont mean MUSLIM WOMEN ARE HORRIBLY OPPRESSED!!!!! some are yeah....but not all...and the ones that are, they aint the ones that you should be taking an example of.

Yeah, I have researched it, and yes, most of them are horribly oppressed. Even if they aren't oppressed by their families, they're oppressed by the laws of the countries. Are you denying these laws exist?
oscarwildelike
To the bit in bold, you must be joking. Oppression doesn't need to be legal to exist, you idiot. In many Eastern countries women can drive and aren't legally oppressed by law. Have you ever been to any Eastern countries and actually talked to the women there?

You called me an idiot. Yes I have been there, and yes not only have I talked to any women, I am related to some of them.

That's the end of it.
Plastic surgery is booming in Arab countries
Jeez.. I don't think eastern or western people have it right.

Both sides have their flaws, no I wouldn't want to cover my body from head to toe and only reveal myself to my husband, along with many other oppressive aspects of living in SOME eastern counries.. (despite many TSRians beliefs, not all eastern countries are oppressive and backwards)

..but I would also like to wake up here without feeling as though I'm a fat slob for being a size 10/12 when I should be at least a size 8 which is now the norm. Western women are bombarded with beauty products that they 'can't live without' and they are faced with unrealistic expectations of beauty, all of the photos we look at of supermodels and actresses are air brushed and they look nothing like they do in real life..

..however, I am sure that eastern women also feel under pressure to look a certain way, I'm sure it's not entirely a western problem; it's a global problem, but the fact is that pressure to look a certain way is never really going to change, and it's up to women to accept how they look, be happy and enjoy life.. it's far too short and looks will eventually fade, making happy memories to look back on is far more important.
Reply 28
missygeorgia
Yeah, I have researched it, and yes, most of them are horribly oppressed. Even if they aren't oppressed by their families, they're oppressed by the laws of the countries. Are you denying these laws exist?

well no because ive admitted it happens in some countries...and? that does not mean muslim women overall are oppressed...some are and they are the minority....but again thats the people and the country it aint exactly the religion itself...where you researched it love????internet and books...aint very valid is it????as most chat bolonies about islam to bring more negativity
chronic_fatigue
As far as I know women in the Middle East can drive its only Saudi Arabia they aren't allowed.
You need to get your facts straight, you seem to know nothing about Islam or the Middle East

It's only Saudi Arabia? Is that any form of excuse? I have already played the same coin that it's only a minuscule minority of western women who feel compulsed to buy beauty products, etc.

And before arguing with a sentence of my previous post, think about arguing with it as a whole. Don't be afraid.
mushy786
well no because ive admitted it happens in some countries...and? that does not mean muslim women overall are oppressed...some are and they are the minority....but again thats the people and the country it aint exactly the religion itself...where you researched it love????internet and books...aint very valid is it????as most chat bolonies about islam to bring more negativity

You can't live in a country where you're forbidden to drive and not be oppressed. Therefore, in that way, every woman in Saudi Arabia is oppressed, by law. If you are a woman living in a country where you have to cover your hair, you are oppressed. So considering almost every muslim country has laws like this, every woman living in these countries is oppressed. BY LAW.
I've never understood this 'Westerners are obsessed with sex, women's bodies and materialism!!!' thing. I think we're fairly laid back about it really. Here a woman can wear pretty much what she likes without the assumption that everyone will want to rape her. In the Islamic world all men are expected to be a bit rapey, so women must cover themselves up. We're not the ones forcing our pubescent children under a shroud in case men want to have sex with them. I think it's the Islamic world with bizarre hang-ups about sexuality, and an odd buck-passing of the responsibility for sexual violence from the men committing it to the women who are the victims of it.
Reply 32
oscarwildelike
To the bit in bold, you must be joking. Oppression doesn't need to be legal to exist, you idiot. In many Eastern countries women can drive and aren't legally oppressed by law. Have you ever been to any Eastern countries and actually talked to the women there?

it doesnt need ot be legal to exist...fair enough....but legal oppression is far worse than cultural oppression!

if the UK government banned homosexuality that would be far worse than if the UK culture was homophobic...do you not think?
Reply 33
missygeorgia
You can't live in a country where you're forbidden to drive and not be oppressed. Therefore, in that way, every woman in Saudi Arabia is oppressed, by law. If you are a woman living in a country where you have to cover your hair, you are oppressed. So considering almost every muslim country has laws like this, every woman living in these countries is oppressed. BY LAW.

k i went saudi...didnt wear a scarf????i went pakistan didnt wear a scarf...i went turkey didnt wear a scarf...
however, i wear a scarf now and guess what? noone told me to!!!!
Reply 34
You're massively generalising and some of your claims are completely out of place, but I see what you're trying to say here though.
mushy786
k i went saudi...didnt wear a scarf????i went pakistan didnt wear a scarf...i went turkey didnt wear a scarf...
however, i wear a scarf now and guess what? noone told me to!!!!

So what?
Reply 36
mushy786
get a face lift you joke.
certain islamic countries? saudi? come on name me the women tell me who they are and where there from...your a joka. i aint saying no woman is abused and forced, they are. but not many compared to the whole muslim population. just go and research the amount of fathers that rape their kids....dont tell me im getting mixed up...its a fact.
a muslim woman tied to the bedroom etc in her home is abuse.....there are so many stories about white non muslim families who abuse their kids...k that aint no different.

Thousands of cases like this? Women not even allowed to drive without immense restrictions?

You're a tossing imbecile.
Jak_

Western girls are exploited by these industries through lies, deceits and ruthless advertising (read propaganda). Beauty products have to be sold. Someone has to be targeted. Dieting products have to be sold. Someone has to be targeted. Clothes have to be sold, in the name of fashion. Someone has to be targeted. Ever wondered why women’s fashion is constantly changing. How will industries make money if the “latest in fashion” doesn’t change frequently.

Capitalism > your morals.
Reply 38
missygeorgia
So what?

well i didnt get my head chopped off?????!!!!!

Prophet Mohammad (p.b.u.h.) is quoted to have said: "women are the twin-halves of men", and consequently has rejected any form of discrimination between male and female children by saying: "if I should have to make any preference, it would be for women". wome islamically have more rights than men...i know wont seem true but they do
mushy786
well i didnt get my head chopped off?????!!!!!

What are you trying to say? You didn't get your head chopped off therefore oppression doesn't exist?

Do you deny that in the majority of countries in the middle east, there are many laws that are oppressive to women?

Latest

Trending

Trending