The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Western girls have the freedom to choose what they wear.
Reply 41

do we live in saudi you joke? stop picking on the same thing you pathetic joke and go clean ya arse.

your so close minded its unbelievable.....and its unbelievable how many people agree that you need to actually get out a bit...you know step out ya front door.
PerigeeApogee
False.

In the West, women aren't forced to do ANYTHING.

Whether or not they want to wear make up, revealing clothes, get plastic surgery or any of the other things they mentioned is a matter of PERSONAL CHOICE.

Obviously, companies advertise like crazy because their livelihood depends on it, but they aren't forcing women into anything.

Many women chose not to, many women chose to.

Compare that with the eastern countries, and the treatment of women in Islam. 'Choice' isn't a thing women enjoy over there. They don't get to choose their husbands, they don't get to choose whether or not their genitalia is carved off with a rusty blade and their vagina sewn up until they are married, they don't get to choose whether or not to get a job, let alone which career path to follow, they don't get to choose education, they don't get to choose what they wear and don't wear, they don't get to choose their own political or religious affiliations, they don't get to choose ANYTHING.

do lie .. why the heck do we have so much of threads on tsr where girls asking that guys which dress should i wear cause i have to meet my ex..and then there is series of pics and people enjoy that.
then she asks about her legs...boobs etc.

it like she has to sell her body to get a guy, thats not anywhere.
missygeorgia
What are you trying to say? You didn't get your head chopped off therefore oppression doesn't exist?

Do you deny that in the majority of countries in the middle east, there are many laws that are oppressive to women?

look if there are two wrong one doesnt become right. people here are driving the thread towards irrelevant direction. i think what the op trie to convey the focs should be on that.
greenforce
look if there are two wrong one doesnt become right. people here are driving the thread towards irrelevant direction. i think what the op trie to convey the focs should be on that.

I think the OP's implicitly trying to make excuses for the way Islamic countries treat their women, so I think this is relevant.
The first line of this thread is laughable. If you can't look at a woman bearing some flesh without wanting to rape her or if you only see her as a sexual object then there is something wrong with you. You seem a little backward so you've probably never realised, but women actually are people just like men, not sexual objects, and deserve to be looked at and treated as such.

The only promotion of beauty products/airbrushing/etc that I disagree with is when it's in magazines for teenage and young girls. Women at the age of 18 can drink, vote, join the armed forces, sit on a jury and decide a person's fate; I'm sure they're mature enough to decide whether they would like to wear some lipgloss for themselves. The main problem with the OP's argument is that he doesn't realise women have brains capable of doing anything more than doing the dishes, and so thinks women are easily brainwashed into thinking they should look a certain way or buy a product just because Cheryl Cole told them to.

I'd say eastern women are more pressured into looking a certain way. I know quite a few Indian & Pakistani girls who are heavily pressured into bleaching their skin to make them lighter. I also know a man who married his wife because she is pale. These bleaching products are very popular, i used to work in a shop selling them. The Asian beauty and cosmetic market is huge! The women who I've seen wearing the most makeup have been Asian women (that's saying a lot considering I live near the South Wales valleys), even when they are covered with the veil some of them look like they've put their eye makeup on with a shovel.

I would definitely say that Eastern women are more oppressed than Western women; the desire for perfection is exactly the same, but Eastern women have added oppression in other ways too.
Reply 46
It's true, there are too many dowdy girls.
Jak_
If a woman covers herself properly to save herself from the lustful gazes of men, she is oppressed. But if she wears next to nothing, and is degraded to the level of a commercial product where beauty, fashion and diet industries exploit her, she is free.

A woman wearing head to toe covering or even being made by law to cover her hair is not covering herself properly, it is discrimination against women and in the more extreme cases oppression, not proper behaviour. Some women in Britain are conned into spending more money than they should on beauty, but that's a matter of opinion. If they wish to spend their money on beauty, fashion and diet, then yes, they have freely made that choice. Noone is forcing them to wear it, it's not in the law and peer pressure isn't THAT great.

Western girls are exploited by these industries through lies, deceits and ruthless advertising (read propaganda). Beauty products have to be sold. Someone has to be targeted. Dieting products have to be sold. Someone has to be targeted. Clothes have to be sold, in the name of fashion. Someone has to be targeted. Ever wondered why women’s fashion is constantly changing. How will industries make money if the “latest in fashion” doesn’t change frequently.

The trading standards people in this country deal with outright advertising lies - deceit and lots of advertising do exist, but it's not propaganda, which is completely the wrong word for this circumstance. Yes, products have to be sold. But this is a consumer driven market - stuff only exists because there is demand for it. People are targeted, as in 'our target group is women aged 18-24' meaning the advertising won't appeal to fifty year olds, not people stalk you until you buy it. And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason fashion changed once upon a time was to prove you were 'with it' ie if you were wearing last year's fashion, you were uncool. Now maybe it is more industry driven, but...so?

Girls are made to believe that the human body is nothing to be ashamed of. I wonder why people wear clothes to the office if the human body is nothing to be ashamed of. Someone said, kam kapde, kam paise. Just take a look at the price tags of girls’ clothing, and you will find that skimpy clothing is just as expensive as regular clothing.

The human body IS nothing to be ashamed of. It's your body. People wear particular clothes to the office because of the social norms that have grown up around work clothes. And of course skimpy clothes cost as much as regular clothing...so?

What about the obsession with plastic surgery. Billions of dollars are spent on it annually. What is alarming is that even beautiful, young girls are going for it. The message that is sent to them is that natural beauty is not enough. There are girls unnecessarily lining up for breast implants, whose occasional leakage leaves some of them with far greater beauty defects. Women are going for everything, from nose jobs to liposuction, and no one raises an eyebrow.

I know noone who is obsessed with plastic surgery. It's a miniority who want it, and for some people, it can turn their lives around in terms of self confidence. Yes, I think it's sad that these girls don't believe they're good enough naturally, but that doesn't mean we have an epidemic of plastic surgery.

Teenage pregnancies is also a big issue in the west. It is not rampant in the subcontinent because girls in the subcontinent are oppressed. It is western girls who have the freedom to become pregnant while still teenagers. They are called names, taunted by their friends, have to miss school, suffer from a poor self-image, and a list of other problems that accompany teenage pregnancies.

Teenage pregnancies are a problem yes. However, girls aren't oppressed and in some cases stoned and ostracised when they have extra marital sex. Many girls' friends wouldn't taunt them, but support them.

Western girls believe in constant dieting, which is accompanied by depression, bulimia, anorexia and all the disorders that go along with having a low self-esteem because they cannot have the perfect body. So why do perfectly normal girls go on a diet? They go on a diet because dieting industries have changed the definition of normal. Unless a girl is all skin and bone she is ugly, fat and unattractive. They advertise ruthlessly, targeting innocent girls into believing their satanic schemes, wanting to earn money in any way or form.

I am a Western girl and I don't believe in constant dieting. I've never been on a diet in my life. Stop generalising. I was under the impression that anorexia at least was not entirely about poor self image but also about feeling a sense of control - you clearly don't really know what you're talking about there. Yes, fashion companies have changed the definition of normal, but there's a huge backlash against it and most sane people recognise that a size 0 is a stupid idea. Beauty products are not satanic. I don't think there's really any other way to argue against that point.

Western girls are slaves of fashion, used like puppets by industries, turned into sexual objects, brainwashed with false ideas about beauty, exposed by men and used as a commodity, diet themselves to death, and then people talk about how free they are.

Most aren't slaves to fashion, the advertising is far less invasive than you seem to thinks, I will agree there's a bit of brainwashing but if you're sensible, you can ignore it, very few diet to death, and by goodness, we are very very free and damn lucky to live in the West imo.

Exploitation of Western Girls, True or False?
By Mohammad Yusha

False.
Reply 48
missygeorgia
What are you trying to say? You didn't get your head chopped off therefore oppression doesn't exist?

Do you deny that in the majority of countries in the middle east, there are many laws that are oppressive to women?

women or muslim women??? i agree some muslim women are abused forced to wear the veil etc etc...i never denied that. in the middle east their are laws that oppress children. women aint equal today!My mate does exactly the same job as a guy and she gets paid less....
missygeorgia
I think the OP's implicitly trying to make excuses for the way Islamic countries treat their women, so I think this is relevant.

perhaps he didnt mention any religion.
east and west are cultural terms not religious terms. even middle east and africa.
there is no harm discussing it. we all get manipulated by the media-deceptive marketing. i know girls who complain that pictures on media are phot shopped and to look good and infact appeal to guy they have to really work hard.
Reply 50
missygeorgia

you said 'WORLDWIDE muslim women are HORRIBLY oppressed'

now its gone to 'in the majority of countries in the middle east, there are many laws that are oppressive to women?'
mushy786
women or muslim women??? i agree some muslim women are abused forced to wear the veil etc etc...i never denied that.

You denied that the oppressive laws in the middle east meant women are oppressed. Are you changing your mind?

mushy786
in the middle east their are laws that oppress children. women aint equal today!My mate does exactly the same job as a guy and she gets paid less....

You're really incoherent, and a lot of what you're saying is irrelevent.
mushy786
you said 'WORLDWIDE muslim women are HORRIBLY oppressed'

now its gone to 'in the majority of countries in the middle east, there are many laws that are oppressive to women?'

I stand by both statements.
That's a pretty unfair generalisation. Although I agree with you on how western culture often portrays this "perfect woman" image, about how all girls should be skinny and have massive boobs etc. That's not to say that every girl is actually influenced by this, as you have suggested.
greenforce
perhaps he didnt mention any religion.
east and west are cultural terms not religious terms. even middle east and africa.

I'm not blaming Islam, just identifying Islamic countries as especially oppressive.
Reply 55
missygeorgia
You denied that the oppressive laws in the middle east meant women are oppressed. Are you changing your mind?

You're really incoherent, and a lot of what you're saying is irrelevent.

when did i deny that???? i said its the country and not the religion. so obviously i know...lol...im not joking your making me crease.

if its irrelevent do1
Reply 56
missygeorgia
I stand by both statements.

its a good job your living in the UK then...
mushy786
when did i deny that???? i said its the country and not the religion. so obviously i know...lol...im not joking your making me crease.

if its irrelevent do1

So what? I never said it was the religion's fault. You just got really defensive and started slagging everyone off (and making yourself and your culture look like a total joke, by the way).
missygeorgia
I'm not blaming Islam, just identifying Islamic countries as especially oppressive.

well i will then identify christian countries.if you want that way=tit for tat.

http://www.paralumun.com/issuesrapestats.htm

here are some for so-called secular states
http://www.amnestyusa.org/violence-against-women/violence-against-women---a-fact-sheet/page.do?id=1108440
Reply 59
missygeorgia
So what? I never said it was the religion's fault. You just got really defensive and started slagging everyone off (and making yourself and your culture look like a total joke, by the way).

really tell me then what culture am i from?

Latest

Trending

Trending