The Student Room Group

What do YOU consider a good starting salary for a graduate?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Over 9000.
katebushfan
Ah, well you made it sound like in your earlier post that's what your salary WILL be, not what you have.

Well it is in the future, cause I don't start til next year :p: xx
£14,000K or more would good for a starting salary.

Some people do seem very nieve as to wages for graduate now a days.
Reply 63
Im going into Accountancy, hoping to start at around £25-30k . . . £30-35k if in London.
£30-35k = Good
£35-40k = Very good
£40k+ = Excellent

This is not including golden handshakes, bonuses, overtime pay or other stuff like that. Just the basic salary.
Reply 65
tazarooni89
£30-35k = Good
£35-40k = Very good
£40k+ = Excellent

This is not including golden handshakes, bonuses, overtime pay or other stuff like that. Just the basic salary.

What career are you hoping to go into that has a starting salary of £30-£40k??
Personally I'd say:

£15-17k =acceptable
£18-£20k = average
£20k-£24k = good
£25k+ = excellent

But IMO the starting salary is less important than the opportunities for promotion and how much (and how quickly) your salary will rise.
pwilhelm64

Actuarial, either at a Big Four firm, or at another reputable firm (Towers Watson, Mercer etc.) Although I might change my mind if I hate the internship.
xmarilynx
Personally I'd say:

£15-17k =acceptable
£18-£20k = average
£20k-£24k = good
£25k+ = excellent

But IMO the starting salary is less important than the opportunities for promotion and how much (and how quickly) your salary will rise.

Agreed. :smile:
Reply 69
Wow, some people are incredibly optimistic here...! Reminds me of the guy who was convinced he could earn £50k+ as a waiter.
£25,000+
Reply 71
pwilhelm64

Magic circle/silver circle/American law firms in London have starting salaries for first year trainees that fit in that bracket.

Edit: OTOH, these are people at the very top of the pyramid among solicitors. Most trainees don't earn anything like that in their first year.
Reply 72
£18k is reasonable. £24k+ would be good.
25k+
For me, 20K but I'd settle for 18K
Reply 75
As many have said, anything over £20k would be good I think.
£25,000 +

Only analyst positions at banks pay within the £40-60k bracket in the first year (not inc bonus)
Reply 77
blinkbelle
My salary as a graduate will be £32k.. but I would've been happy with anything over £20k

Wow, What degree did you do and what job aer you going into?
Reply 78
Reue
Lol @ students clinging to hopes of £30k+.

Anything around £20k is a damn good starting salery for grads.

What youve gotta remember is new grads are a huge risk for companies. You cost alot in training and they have no idea how you'll perform. One girl on my company's grad scheme had a 1st class honours and a masters in IT.. and yet hardly performed at all.

My company's view is; Start on a low salery, prove yourself and then quickly rise.

I started on £15.5k which then rose to £28k in 6 months.

You can't expect to make a speech like that and not mention what industry you work in
Reply 79
minimum wage.

Quick Reply