The Student Room Group

Best Uni For Physiotherapy?

Hey, I'm looking into doing physiotherapy, begining in 2011.. Does anyone know what uni's are best for it?
I've been looking around and some people say it doesn't matter what uni you go to as long as you get the degree.. but surely it does..
Help please :smile:
Reply 1
You should listen to some people. You will end up with a degree in physio. What is more important is which uni suits your learning style. Places like kings are known to be more academic, and others such as St George's are more practical based. Then there is the decision as to how the structure of the term suits you best. Some unis do their clinical placements over summer holidays for instance, whereas others do them during term time. Then there is the make up of the course - do you want situated learning, part time, fulltime. Then there is lifestyle - do you want to move away from home, do you want a city based uni? I would put the name of the uni bottom of the list of priorities.
Reply 2
I agree. All courses are HPC and CSP regulated, so teach the same material to a certain extent. Just pick a city that you like and want to live in for 3 years, don't worry about the uni name.
I would add a rider to the thory that uni doesn't make a difference.

I would choose a university in a place that you would want to work after you graduate. That way you get the chance to get to know people in the places where you will be applying for jobs. They can see that you are hot stuff and that you are a hoot to work with, because it's how you get on with the other staff that is the most important factor, rather than how much you know.

It's almost impossible to remove someone from post once they are employed and so it's important to the existing staff that they like you.

I would also suggest that anyone looking to enter the health care profession, in any area, should take a long hard look at the NHS jobs website and see where the vacancies actually are. Some areas have virtually no jobs advertised, whereas others have lots. Bearing in mind how important it is to get at least a couple of years experience once you qualify, you need to see those vacancies are available where you want to work.
Reply 4
Don't look at the NHS website for physio jobs now!! I think there's about 7 up there. It's graduating time, so there are hundreds of new graduates applying for every job the second it gets put up. Plus there still is a shortage of physio jobs anyways still. In 3/4 years time the picture could be totally different (though with all the cuts it's a bit iffy), but don't think about that if it's something you want to do.
But thinking about where you want to work should be a minor consideration- despite the fact you are in X city does not mean that your placements will all be there!
djk_99
Don't look at the NHS website for physio jobs now!! I think there's about 7 up there. It's graduating time, so there are hundreds of new graduates applying for every job the second it gets put up. Plus there still is a shortage of physio jobs anyways still. In 3/4 years time the picture could be totally different (though with all the cuts it's a bit iffy), but don't think about that if it's something you want to do.
But thinking about where you want to work should be a minor consideration- despite the fact you are in X city does not mean that your placements will all be there!

And yet after I posted I had a look at the website and there were umpteen Band 6 jobs available. so why are people not moving into those jobs and freeing up the Band 5 jobs?

I also noticed that assistant jobs appear to have been downgraded to Band 2 where normally I've seen them at Band 3. I don't know if it is only physio jobs that this has happened to as I didn't have time to look at the other hcps.

So it seems clear that Trusts are recruiting at the lowest level and looking for people with experience, but there's nothing in between for the new graduates, who can't apply for any of the vacancies as they're over-qualified for one and under-qualified for the other.
Reply 6
None. Seriously, stay well clear of this degree. There arent any jobs left, my physio mate said she was lucky to get employed a few years back and now there are no new positions being created.
Reply 7
puddlejumper
And yet after I posted I had a look at the website and there were umpteen Band 6 jobs available. so why are people not moving into those jobs and freeing up the Band 5 jobs?

I also noticed that assistant jobs appear to have been downgraded to Band 2 where normally I've seen them at Band 3. I don't know if it is only physio jobs that this has happened to as I didn't have time to look at the other hcps.

So it seems clear that Trusts are recruiting at the lowest level and looking for people with experience, but there's nothing in between for the new graduates, who can't apply for any of the vacancies as they're over-qualified for one and under-qualified for the other.

With regard to band 6, the physio sector wont actually promote ppl to Band 6, ( i think most have been downgraded, like with health visitors) it all depends on the sector. If you do Speech therapy you can go to 7 and beyond (managerial etc).

Nah, trusts are looking for nursery nurses to fill proper experience based jobs, unfortunately these nursery types have no skills so they cant perform the job. You'll find as well that a lot of courses available for training/ qualifying ppl such as health visitors no longer exist. The NHS creates a plethora of managerial secretary jobs and gets rid of skilled jobs.

C'est la vie.
angielska
With regard to band 6, the physio sector wont actually promote ppl to Band 6, ( i think most have been downgraded, like with health visitors) it all depends on the sector. If you do Speech therapy you can go to 7 and beyond (managerial etc).

Nah, trusts are looking for nursery nurses to fill proper experience based jobs, unfortunately these nursery types have no skills so they cant perform the job. You'll find as well that a lot of courses available for training/ qualifying ppl such as health visitors no longer exist. The NHS creates a plethora of managerial secretary jobs and gets rid of skilled jobs.

C'est la vie.

People have to appy for the jobs that are available. I saw at least a dozen Band 6 jobs advertised today so the jobs are there. It is seriously stupid to epect that your manager is just going to come along and say what a wonderful job you are doing, here is your band 6.
Reply 9
puddlejumper
People have to appy for the jobs that are available. I saw at least a dozen Band 6 jobs advertised today so the jobs are there. It is seriously stupid to epect that your manager is just going to come along and say what a wonderful job you are doing, here is your band 6.

Eh? There arent many opportunities to move up the ladder. You wont find many Band 6s available for lower bands. Anyway, there arent within physio. Whatev. Do you work for the NHS or what?
Edit: Dunno why I bothered even replying to you, just saw the long line of neg rep and xenophobic comments you made. Grow up!
angielska
Eh? There arent many opportunities to move up the ladder. You wont find many Band 6s available for lower bands. Anyway, there arent within physio. Whatev. Do you work for the NHS or what?
Edit: Dunno why I bothered even replying to you, just saw the long line of neg rep and xenophobic comments you made. Grow up!

Given that you are still a schoolkid and therefore have never worked in the NHS, whereas I have 10 years and counting years of working in the NHS I strongly suggest that if you are going to read past posts then you read a few more. You should also read that I told you there were at least a dozen band 6 jobs advertised today on the nhs website. Are you too stupid to read or even check that statement before displaying what an ignorant, rude little child you are?

The only person who needs to grow up here is the silly, ignorant and rude child that I'm replying to in this post.

And for the record what zenophobic comment was that? The one where I said it was a waste of money to train people for health care professions and then give the jobs to foreign born people. You are probably too young to realise just how much money is spent on training hcps and just how much of it is wasted if people have to move into other professions. That is not zenophobic you child, it is common sense and it will eventually be your taxes that pay for this stupid situation assuming that you have the intelligence to get a job.

Don't try and teach your granny to suck eggs dear. She was doing it long before you were a twinkle in your daddy's eye.
puddlejumper

coul i just ask what a 'Band 6' physiotherapist is, im just starting college and I am looking to become a physio, and could someone please tell me wether there is a 'best' uni to go to ?
:smile:
Nathan_DoodleBOB
coul i just ask what a 'Band 6' physiotherapist is, im just starting college and I am looking to become a physio, and could someone please tell me wether there is a 'best' uni to go to ?
:smile:

All NHS professional jobs are graded and paid at different Band levels. This is the Agenda for Change booklet which describes the system in detail.

http://www.redbridge.nhs.uk/files/documents/186_agendaforchangebooklet.pdf

All you really need to know is that if you qualify as a nurse or physio etc then you will start work on Band 5. Once you have a bit of experience you can apply for a Band 6 job and so on.

If you remain in the same Band level you will receive an increment on your wages as well as any genral wage increase. Once you reach the top of the Band Scale for your level you stay on that level and just get any general wage increase. So in order to get more money you will need to move on to another Band.

There's no such thing as a best university for any health care profession. They all do the same theory and practical work and all come out with the same qualification. You just need to choose a university that you like in a place that you like and which organises the course the way that you like to work.
Reply 13
I'd agree with the above sentiments about finding a course that suits *you*. As well as the points mentioned, that can be to do withmethods used to teach - so some courses are viewed as more practical, some uni's have facilities that you may find useful like a dissection room, which I found really useful for learning anatomy but others might not.

The only other thing I can think of that's worth looking at is employment rates for graduates
Reply 14
Original post by puddlejumper
Given that you are still a schoolkid and therefore have never worked in the NHS, whereas I have 10 years and counting years of working in the NHS I strongly suggest that if you are going to read past posts then you read a few more. You should also read that I told you there were at least a dozen band 6 jobs advertised today on the nhs website. Are you too stupid to read or even check that statement before displaying what an ignorant, rude little child you are?

The only person who needs to grow up here is the silly, ignorant and rude child that I'm replying to in this post.

And for the record what zenophobic comment was that? The one where I said it was a waste of money to train people for health care professions and then give the jobs to foreign born people. You are probably too young to realise just how much money is spent on training hcps and just how much of it is wasted if people have to move into other professions. That is not zenophobic you child, it is common sense and it will eventually be your taxes that pay for this stupid situation assuming that you have the intelligence to get a job.

Don't try and teach your granny to suck eggs dear. She was doing it long before you were a twinkle in your daddy's eye.

:frown: all I was trying to do was find information on this topic but all I can seem to find is innapropriate messages and an arguement between people on this chat room :L Also you say that the other member is immature and like a child but maybe you should read through your own letter, as a member of the NHS surely you should have more mature responce and set an example for the rest of the users on the site!

Quick Reply

Latest